Reload this Page >

Moved: renewing British passport in Canada

Moved: renewing British passport in Canada

Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

slimon007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: renewing British passport in Canada

Hello,

Another 10 years has flown by and it's time for my passport renewal. My current passport hasn't lapsed. Here is the question, do I need to submit my birth certificate in the application in addition to my current passport?

thanks
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:00 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: renewing British passport in Canada

No, though you do need some other form of ID that's been photocopied and verified as true to the original. The British High Commission website provides forms for you to download with detailed instruction.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 11:05 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
No, though you do need some other form of ID that's been photocopied and verified as true to the original. The British High Commission website provides forms for you to download with detailed instruction.
Not if it's a renewal ..... well I've sent mine off (erk... haven't heard back from them yet!)

I went through the forms very carefully though and it said not for renewals ..... I'll check again!

http://www.britishhighcommission.gov...=1188497174892

there: you only have to send additional ID if your passport expired more than ten years before.

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Mar 21st 2008 at 11:10 pm.
Old Mar 22nd 2008, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

slimon007 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 2:07 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Not if it's a renewal ..... well I've sent mine off (erk... haven't heard back from them yet!)

I went through the forms very carefully though and it said not for renewals ..... I'll check again!

http://www.britishhighcommission.gov...=1188497174892

there: you only have to send additional ID if your passport expired more than ten years before.
Morwenna's quite right, they seem to have changed the requirements recently, and if you are just renewing all thats needed is the form, photo and the old passport.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:20 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Morwenna's quite right, they seem to have changed the requirements recently, and if you are just renewing all thats needed is the form, photo and the old passport.
However .... you are supposed to get hold of a professional person who is a British citizen and who has known you more than 2 years to countersign your photos and form.

Then I think it admits that that might be difficult for some people!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

You only need to get your form countersigned if you have changed appearance so it's difficult to recognize you from your old passport photo.

We recently renewed my daughters in the Uk. We just filled out the forms online we got it in the post the following day and just signed it and posted it back. She got her new passport 3 days later.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:22 pm
little snowy owl

Originally Posted by britsnake
You only need to get your form countersigned if you have changed appearance so it's difficult to recognize you from your old passport photo.

We recently renewed my daughters in the Uk. We just filled out the forms online we got it in the post the following day and just signed it and posted it back. She got her new passport 3 days later.

That's not so if you are applying from here, (if you wish to read the link I posted above).
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the heads up, I've now read it and it says that they can be a commonweath citizen and don't have to be british, so as long as Canada remains part of the commonwealth, it shouldn't be too hard to find someone to sign.

I promise not to jump to conclusions without checking next time