Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved From Midlands to Toronto Area - My Experience

Moved From Midlands to Toronto Area - My Experience

Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:34 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved From Midlands to Toronto Area - My Experience

Originally Posted by simonh81

its funny seeing you get wound up. You seem pretty miserable. If its so bad why are you still here.
You misunderstand me, i don't think just because someone goes to the pub they're a pisshead, but anyone will tell you Britain is a drinking culture and a lot of youngsters surround the cities on the weekend binge drinking, getting wasted and fighting. Maybe you came from one of the few English towns this didn't happen. I myself go out for drinks on a Saturday night. im talking about two different things and you know it. I want more for my kids.

Nobody wants their kids hanging around the back of the shops or down the rec drinking White Lightening or SpecialBrew, causing trouble and getting pregnant. Its not on.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:39 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin999
The Keg. I know Oink is a big fan. I see it as bland, manufactured and seriously overpriced.

Malls are malls wherever, I find both the Eaton Centre and Yorkdale terminally depressing (though no worse than the Trafford Centre or Metro Centre).

As for holidays I would much prefer to have Europe nearby, though do like Mexico. Its also far more expensive to go anywhere from Toronto than it is from the UK.
Really? I'm going to flip this as I personally think the Keg is pretty much the optimum restaurant on the planet where the price point and quality optimize.

I was in Aberdeen Angus Staek House next to Oxford Circus in May and it was disgusting on both scales compared to the Keg. Granted it is a chain but it's darn good food and the best bread!

I am surprised the OP thinks Toronto is good for shopping??? That one is lost on me.

By the way we should go drinking at Fazooli's $5 for all beers domestic and export on a Thursday! Also sampled the Town Cryer last night- they have 50 beers on tap!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Nobody wants their kids hanging around the back of the shops or down the rec drinking White Lightening or SpecialBrew, causing trouble and getting pregnant. Its not on.
We'll able to bring this bit of British culture to Canada soon.

Apparently all we have to do is re-elect the Conservatives.

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/103...-say-in-survey

They have my vote!
Old Jul 29th 2011, 7:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
We'll able to bring this bit of British culture to Canada soon.

http://www.moneyville.ca/article/103...-say-in-survey

They have my vote!
Top call on that Tory. He's got my vote as well. Lets hope they also put a moratorium on immigration.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:23 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Re-elect the Conservatives?

I thought the Liberals were currently in power.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:24 pm

Top call on that Tory. He's got my vote as well. Lets hope they also put a moratorium on immigration.
You don't get to vote.

This is the Ontario provincial election.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P
You don't get to vote.

This is the Ontario provincial election.
Can't I vote by mail?
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:34 pm

Can't I vote by mail?
Sorry no.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:50 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Well should they bring back the Tories. I would say that the rivalry between us BE Expat Easterners and you West Canada lot will be over. Ontario will be with out question the best province. I simply can not think of another benefit greater than having the ability to buy readily available alcohol. The stalemate will be over...........
Old Jul 29th 2011, 8:53 pm

Well should they bring back the Tories. I would say that the rivalry between us BE Expat Easterners and you West Canada lot will be over. Ontario will be with out question the best province. I simply can not think of another benefit greater than having the ability to buy readily available alcohol. The stalemate will be over...........

We already did away with provincial liquor stores it's all private here in Alberta.

Alberta became the first Canadian jurisdiction to privatize liquor retailing, warehousing and distribution in 1993.

You guys really do need to come out of the dark ages.

Last edited by Steve_P; Jul 29th 2011 at 8:57 pm.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 9:19 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

We already did away with provincial liquor stores it's all private here in Alberta.

Alberta became the first Canadian jurisdiction to privatize liquor retailing, warehousing and distribution in 1993.

Darn it.......

I knew I picked the wrong province.
Old Jul 29th 2011, 11:25 pm

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Aberdeen Angus Staek House next to Oxford Circus in May!
Funny, I am actually in a hotel at Piccadilly Circus at the moment, and between here and Covent Garden there are a number of Aberdeen Steak Houses and Angus Steakhouses (I know there are two different chains but am not totally sure of the names). One is clearly undergoing a major make-over, though I was still not tempted to try eating in either. Having said this I have enjoyed a number of pints of Star, and also managed to visit Browns in Shoreditch - an exceptionally fine establishment (the true class of the place is that you can watch a fit stripper whilst also enjoying an episode of Come Dine with Me on the large screen TV). Tomorrow the plan is for more beer and a curry, following a lunch at an excellent London restaurant. Couple this with the Guardian and Broad bowling well and I can't think of a finer place to be in the world
Old Jul 30th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Funny, I am actually in a hotel at Piccadilly Circus at the moment, and between here and Covent Garden there are a number of Aberdeen Steak Houses and Angus Steakhouses (I know there are two different chains but am not totally sure of the names). One is clearly undergoing a major make-over, though I was still not tempted to try eating in either. Having said this I have enjoyed a number of pints of Star, and also managed to visit Browns in Shoreditch - an exceptionally fine establishment (the true class of the place is that you can watch a fit stripper whilst also enjoying an episode of Come Dine with Me on the large screen TV). Tomorrow the plan is for more beer and a curry, following a lunch at an excellent London restaurant. Couple this with the Guardian and Broad bowling well and I can't think of a finer place to be in the world

Ahhhh...shade's of 'Let the 'prols' eat cake....
Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

ergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud ofergyngfeld has much to be proud of

ugh LCBO in Ontario is a pile of wаnk! i'm quite a leftie but booze shops are definitely one thing that should be privatised sharpish. mind you, SAQ in Quebec is really good.

Last edited by ergyngfeld; Jul 30th 2011 at 2:18 am.
Old Jul 30th 2011, 2:20 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Brown's is exceptional.

Will you be popping to "The Maple Leaf" in Covant Garden for poutine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.