Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Med insurance for Mum & Dad

Moved: Med insurance for Mum & Dad

Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:04 am
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice
Default Moved: Med insurance for Mum & Dad

Hi peeps,

just wondering about some insurance for my Mum and Dad for when they come over and visit, we we finally settle in Canada.

My Mum phoned a few insurance firms to get some sort of idea about travel ins. My Mum has recently had two strokes and she has a heart condition, she has (at the moment) got high blood pressure and has asthma and the best price she had for a 4 week visit, is £1200, just for her. My Dad has a heart problem and did have slightly high blood pressure. They are both 70 years young and still very much up for the travelling.

Has anybody else been through this problem and can anybody give any help and advice please?

many thanks,
regards,
Carl
Old Sep 9th 2007, 6:20 am
Painting r own Rainbow

WelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to allWelshDragonsWales is a name known to all
Default Re: Med insurance for Mum & Dad

Hi Carl - I will also be looking for insurance for my parents - 80 and 84 with all the usuall health issues of that age

This is just a thought - my parents have a bank account L..... TSB and they have insurance attached to that - it covered them on a recent holiday - i know Canada is a bit different but it might be worth finding out if their own back can offer health insurance/cover.

Good luck
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:42 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Just called MIL in the UK, She uses All Clear Travel http://www.allcleartravel.co.uk/

My parents, also in their 70's have a chequeing account with Nationwide, I believe they did their last insurance through them.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

My mum is coming to NS with me on my reccie in October. She has paid about £88 for a 9 day policy. She is 79 and has osteoporosis, high blood pressure and thyroid problems.

We had quotes ranging from £85 to about £400 so it is well worth shopping around. Do a search for travel insurance+over 70 and it will bring up quite a few. Can't remember for sure who she went with but I think it was Staysure www.staysure.co.uk

I can check when I see her if you would like me to.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

gibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nicegibbos1 is just really nice
Default Re: Moved: Med insurance for Mum & Dad

Hi Folks,
many thanks for all this information, it's a great help. I am pretty sure we can get the quote down, because £1200 for a few week holiday, seems a hell of a lot of money to me My Mum & Dad are wworryingnow about getting over tthereto see us, so that's sending the blood pressure up
I will do some searches and see if we can sort something out.

Destinationnovascotia,
yes please, would be great if you could forward details please.

thanks again to all,
regards,
Carl
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

We had dreadful problems getting insurance for my 82-year-old dad who has stable angina to travel to USA for 19 days. His bank wouldn't insure him and we had horrendous quotes. Eventually passed the problem to a broker who came up with a quote for £120 for USA or Canada for the 19 days with Cornhill (or was it Norwich Union?) with all existing medical conditions covered. He had to get his GP to fill in a medical form (£35 - disgusting!). Broker was R Pipes insurance, Witham, Essex. Tel 01376 326575.

Having said that, there are a lot more options if you are under 80 - Saga the biggest disappointment, if you are over 79 they don't want to know!
Old Sep 10th 2007, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

My parents exhausted the options available in the UK. Finally this guy arranged coverage:

http://www.pucherinsurance.com/

He used a different company for each of them as one company fusses about hearts and the other doesn't.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:34 am
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gibbos1
Hi peeps,

just wondering about some insurance for my Mum and Dad for when they come over and visit, we we finally settle in Canada.

My Mum phoned a few insurance firms to get some sort of idea about travel ins. My Mum has recently had two strokes and she has a heart condition, she has (at the moment) got high blood pressure and has asthma and the best price she had for a 4 week visit, is £1200, just for her. My Dad has a heart problem and did have slightly high blood pressure. They are both 70 years young and still very much up for the travelling.

Has anybody else been through this problem and can anybody give any help and advice please?

many thanks,
regards,
Carl
If parents have Mastercard or Visa in their Gold version, health insurance for travel is usually included. There may be limits though, knowing the banks, on coverage given age.
Old Sep 15th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry about the delay on the reply.

Will have a chat with them about the gold cards, worth looking into, thanks
Old Sep 16th 2007, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gibbos
How's it going?
We've made tentative enquiries about insurance for my mum and dad, both 73 and with arthritis, Alzheimer's etc. The most expensive quote we have for them so far is £340 from Saga - and that was having gone through an extensive set of questions....good luck - would be interested to know how you get on.
All the best. MK Murrays
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Mkmurreys,
that's a better quote than my Mum & Dad had, Saga said they wouldn't even insure my Mum???? This is why I said to Mum, that I would have a look for her.

My Mum has had two strokes, but they were very minor, high blood pressure, and a slight problem with her heart and they said it would be £1200 for 4 weeks insurance, I just think that's mad. What i was hoping, that by the time we actually get over to Calgary, Mum & Dad's conditions would have had time to settle down and give the drugs they are on time to settle them down.

Will keep searching and trying different insurances and will let you know.

Many thanks,
regards,
Carl
Old Sep 16th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

I'm trying to book a trip for my parents for next April/May - will let you know who we end up insuring them with......although I've had to ask my mum to get a list of their conditions from their doctor as more keep surfacing!
How's life generally, gibbos?
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi all,
just thought I would let you know what's been happening with the insurance.

Well my Mum & Dad came down to us today, so we spent the afternoon on the computer getting some quotes. We found they ranged from £1200 to £3000 for the two of them

Anyway then I remember this thread and had a look. I phone the gent that dbd33 recommended and left a message. Then after about an hour, he phoned us back. The wife (Tracey) gave him all the details and he came up with a quote for $960 for a months stay, for £300000 worth of medical insurance, which is bloody bril. He is sending more details via email, so will keep you posted.

Thanks to you all and big thanks to you dbd33
regards to all,
Carl
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Gibbos
When we thought my dad would be up to coming over I contacted the same guy. He emailed me through all the policy details and we checked out the underwriters etc etc. All checked out and looked legit. The company has associations with several big financial institutions, so appears fine. Plus you can organise cover for pre-existing conditions for 25% extra on the premium.
Glad it's looking good for you.

Sharon
Old Nov 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
Hi Gibbos
When we thought my dad would be up to coming over I contacted the same guy. He emailed me through all the policy details and we checked out the underwriters etc etc. All checked out and looked legit. The company has associations with several big financial institutions, so appears fine. Plus you can organise cover for pre-existing conditions for 25% extra on the premium.
Glad it's looking good for you.

Sharon
Oh, he's kosher. One of my parent's policies was with Manulife, the other, iirc with the Cooperators. Both large and reputable companies, one cheaper for bad hearts, the other for great age. Glad to have been able to suggest someone useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.