Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Is it just me who is concerned by the exchange rates? stick or twist?

Moved: Is it just me who is concerned by the exchange rates? stick or twist?

Old May 15th 2007, 7:23 pm

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: Is it just me who is concerned by the exchange rates? stick or twist?

Just looked up the exchange rate and nearly fell of my chair!

Who thinks this is going to get worse and who is going to hang on in there before they exchange.

We are just about to sell our house so don't know what to do!
Old May 15th 2007, 7:42 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me who is concerned by the exchange rates? stick or twist?

I changed the bulk of our money back in Jan and got $2.26 to £1. On 27th April we recently changed some more money and got $2.205.

I think that the trend is that during the summer months the $ CDN gets stronger against the £ so not good news for UK based people.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:49 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it just me who is concerned by the exchange rates? stick or twist?

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins

Who thinks this is going to get worse and who is going to hang on in there before they exchange.

It's a tough call. You could look at it this way:
  • Lower exchange rate now, but at least you know the house prices in Canada
  • 6 months down the line, perhaps a better exchange rate but house prices may have increased substantially (especially BC and Calgary area). In NS homes (in general) only tend to increase around 5% per year.
Remember, you don't have to exchange all your money at the same time eg if you intend to rent initially.
Old May 15th 2007, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins

It's in a downward trend at the moment, strange as I thought the recent interest rate rise here would make the £ a little stronger, but then OIL is fairly expensive now and Canada sells lots of it!! Also, I think the C$ is doing well against the US$. I sent a small amount over in Jan 2007 and got C$2.30, lets hope it bounces back over the next few weeks...

Jan 2007 was the high from the past couple of years:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=G...=on&z=m&q=l&c=