Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: How do dogs survive the Canadian winters?

Moved: How do dogs survive the Canadian winters?

Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:15 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: How do dogs survive the Canadian winters?

Originally Posted by Alison Annett
Never mind the dogs -what about snakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It may be some consolation to know that there are no poisonous snakes in Calgary. The rattlesnake is found further south in Alberta, but not in Calgary.

Are mossies much of a bother in Alberta?
Here is a recent thread.

Edited to add that the above thread was not the one I was thinking about after all. Here is another thread that addresses not only mosquitoes but also black flies and no-see-ums. Everything you wanted to know about bugs but were afraid to ask, eh?

While we're about it, do you have any other concerns -- fear of spiders, fear of flying, fear of driving on mountain roads, fear of Country & Western music, fear of not being able to find Bisto in Canada, fear of Canadian hair stylists? When it comes to the range of issues on which we can provide assistance, our repertoire is truly awesome.

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Apr 30th 2007 at 3:36 pm.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:45 pm

Member123 is an unknown quantity at this point

But are snakes found commonly in your garden etc. Sorry to harp on but I dont think this was really answered yet.
Not afraid of mountain roads as I actually live beside the beautiful Mourne Mountains in Northern Ireland, not afraid of spiders or flying, will enjoy trying new foods, wont miss bisto - its bad for you anyway
Should I be afraid of Canadian hairstylists, they couldnt be that bad surely.

Was wondering though how do ladies fashions match to UK? Are they current abit behind or ahead of our fashion industry?
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have probably said this before, but what the heck. I have a 10 year old golden retriever. She has arthritis but even when its 35 below she goes out and romps around and rolls in the snow like it was summer! On the other hand I have three shih-tzus and they hate the cold. In fact I have to watch two of them like a hawk or else they pee downstairs on the lino when I am not looking. I have a friend who emigrated with two Cairn terriers. They don't seem to have a problem in the cold, although I might mention that neither of the Cairns are particularly slim - maybe its the fat that keeps them going.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 3:57 pm

I should think my wee Cairn will adapt quite well. Did you know they were bred out if the West Highland Terriers on the Isle of Skye in Scotland because the huntsmen couldnt see the Westies in the snow. Pointer will probably be afraid of the snow at first, but seems that if we are sensible with them they will be fine.

Any word on the snake issue??
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:02 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

But are snakes found commonly in your garden etc.
I've lived in Calgary for 26 years (30 years with a 4 year gap along the way). In those 26 years, I have never seen a snake in our garden. For 25 years we've lived near a wetland wilderness park (the Weasehead area at the west end of Glenmore Reservoir). We walk there a lot in the summer. In the 25 years of walking in Glenmore Park and the Weaselhead area, I have seen two small snakes. When I say small, I mean each of them was about one foot long.

Should I be afraid of Canadian hairstylists, they couldnt be that bad surely.
You may want to read this.

Was wondering though how do ladies fashions match to UK? Are they current abit behind or ahead of our fashion industry?
Way behind. There are stores with chic clothing here, if that's what you want. However, most Canadians tend to be casual, and they place clothing at a lower point on their list of priorities than British people do, on average. The notable exception is Montreal, where people really care about their appearance.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
Well, it keeps everyone on their toes...

Oh I do love your house, I want one.
Thanks

Well, our next door neighbour built our place, and he is soon to be selling his It is gorgeous...quite a bit bigger and with more land than ours!

He actually built ours in 1980, when he was only 18!!! It was his first attempt and wow, he's an amazingly gifted guy. He lived here for almost 20 yrs and then built a bigger home for his family. Now their kids are older, and moving away, so he's going to be shuffling one driveway down the road again, and building a smaller log home.

Alex
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I've lived in Calgary for 26 years (30 years with a 4 year gap along the way). In those 26 years, I have never seen a snake in our garden. For 25 years we've lived near a wetland wilderness park (the Weasehead area at the west end of Glenmore Reservoir). We walk there a lot in the summer. In the 25 years of walking in Glenmore Park and the Weaselhead area, I have seen two small snakes. When I say small, I mean each of them was about one foot long.
They'd only have been garter snakes, most probably. Totally harmless (and cute, but then I like reptiles!)
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Jeez, you're the Energizer Bunny on steroids, lady.

Be aware that the folks who are posting from Canada are in a different time zone from you. As I type, it's 9.00 a.m. in Vancouver, 10.00 a.m. in Calgary, and 12 noon in Toronto, while it's 5.00 p.m. in the UK (if I've got that right).

Some of us actually do a bit of work, here and there, between posting.

It is good netiquette to give people a chance to respond. When I say "a chance," I mean a day or two (although some topics generate pages of posts within a few hours).

Anyway, I was busy typing my response to you about snakes even as you were asking for more feedback.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

polarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud ofpolarbearmum has much to be proud of

No snakes and I am sure you will be pleased to know (I was) no Rats either. Mice on the other hand......... They seem to love us, well actually I think it is our dog they love, he likes to leave the door open for them and I swear he invites them in....

Luckily no mice yet in Red Deer, I am sure it is only a matter of time...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 7:49 pm

Sorry Judy in Calgary for rubbing you up the wrong way!!! Completely unintended, just didnt want this thread to become buried with lots of responses about dogs as that is what it was originally about. I wasnt intending to hassle you but thought maybe another BE would pick up on the snake issue and give me some more advice as it is a major factor in coming over there for me - and they did. Thanks to you all.
Also appreciate your thread on hairdressers and clothes info -good to know Canadians arent obsessed with appearances - Britain has gone celebrity crazy and if you arent a size 0 nowadays you are too fat!!

Sorry Judy once again. Try not to be mad - it aint good for the old heart
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:19 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought 2 dogs over with us to live in the upper Yukon Territory 2 years ago, December time, both died of the cold within 1 week. We bought another one and it died before the end of January, got buried in a snowdrift. Got another one, that froze during a walk across a nearby lake after falling through (thru) the ice.

So what we do now is buy a dog in April, and as we have a vet as a friend we have it put down in November and buy a new one in the following April. Problem sorted.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 8:21 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Try not to be mad - it aint good for the old heart
You're right, Alison. Thank you for the reminder.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
Thanks

Well, our next door neighbour built our place, and he is soon to be selling his It is gorgeous...quite a bit bigger and with more land than ours!

Alex
How much??? Seriously...
Old Apr 30th 2007, 9:56 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

How much??? Seriously...
Stop it, right now.

You're supposed to be going to Ottawa.
Old Apr 30th 2007, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

How much??? Seriously...
Got your message through our site!

I've not asked him what he's going to be asking for it. He's still building the new place. I'd expect somewhere in the region of 420-450k. It's a 4 bed hand crafted log home, a lot of land (not sure how much, but definitely over double the size of ours, and we're on 8 acres.) Oh, and it has a seperate "granny-flat"/guest-cabin...and an excellent workshop, obviously, given his trade!

If you were being serious (first time for everything! ) then I could get more info.? I think he expects to be ready to sell sometime early next year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.