Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Honest answers please -Canadian lifestyle

Moved: Honest answers please -Canadian lifestyle

Old Feb 11th 2008, 5:54 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Honest answers please -Canadian lifestyle

My honest answer is that when in the UK, people kind of get stuck in the rut of "oh isn`t this a crappy place" and don`t do stuff (and there is loads of stuff to do around any village, town or city in the UK.

However when you decide to move to Canada for this `better lifestyle` its because in your mind you will try that little bit harder over here.

And when you have the beautiful scenery to marry it up with the whole Canada thing just seems to offer more as opposed to actually having it.

I may be making no sense at all but I believe its just down to a change of scenery which brings on a change in attitude and therefore a happier lifestyle.

Not that I would want to go back - I adore how the change has made me feel, and would recommend anyone to do it and breathe some new life back into your world!
Old Feb 11th 2008, 6:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think perhaps there is an element of "making a clean break of it", and being able to start afresh in a new location.

Thats part of it, and emigrating certainly forced me to be a lot more outgoing... but part of it is the reshaped finances that often go along with the change making it easier to do certain things too, and its probably safe to say there would not be a skating rink in my back yard if I still lived in the UK too.

Looking at it in reverse, when I visit the UK Im struck by how gloomy everyone seems to be, and how overcrowded it seems in many places.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Looking at it in reverse, when I visit the UK Im struck by how gloomy everyone seems to be, and how overcrowded it seems in many places.
As you know Iaink I plan to move back this year, I hope I can bring a more positive out look back with me and hopefully it rubs off on a few of those gloomy people.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
As you know Iaink I plan to move back this year, I hope I can bring a more positive out look back with me and hopefully it rubs off on a few of those gloomy people.
Good Luck.

Im not for a minute saying that everyone is gloomy, and as you know, there are aspects of the UK that you just cant replace in Canada, pubs, family, historical sites, the greenness, ...but for me, looking at the whole picture, after ten years here, Canada is where I choose to remain.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Good Luck.

Im not for a minute saying that everyone is gloomy, and as you know, there are aspects of the UK that you just cant replace in Canada, pubs, family, historical sites, the greenness, ...but for me, looking at the whole picture, after ten years here, Canada is where I choose to remain.
Thanks Iaink. I didn't think for a second you meant everyone in the UK is miserable I don't hate living here I guess I just don't love it either but I'm still glad I've had the experience
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Certainly there are lifestyles that can be followed in many cities without the need for driving - although shopping is easier by car than bus or backpack.

But many people mention the out of town things. Skiing for example. One needs to get there.

ATVs seem to be popular.

We have a lovely beach that's a 20 minute drive away. There's a bus that goes there - almost. By the time one adds up four bus fares from home to bus station and then the other bus, the cost is virtually the same as a taxi. That's $40 each way.

$80 is a bit expensive for an afternoon at a beach that's only 20 minutes away.
I couldnt have managed without a car in the UK, no public transport to where I worked, two buses and a 2 hour ride to my mothers. Shopping was ok, but you can only buy as much as you can carry so even if the shops are close then you still need to visit often

When I lived in London I didnt have a car, if I wanted to visit somewhere like Burnham Beeches then I had to find a friend with a car, or hire one for the weekend. Which I did when I visited people as cheaper than the train.

I dont see that things are that different for cars etc
My MIL lives 45 minutes from a beach, no public transport to there.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daft batty
I couldnt have managed without a car in the UK, no public transport to where I worked, two buses and a 2 hour ride to my mothers. Shopping was ok, but you can only buy as much as you can carry so even if the shops are close then you still need to visit often

When I lived in London I didnt have a car, if I wanted to visit somewhere like Burnham Beeches then I had to find a friend with a car, or hire one for the weekend. Which I did when I visited people as cheaper than the train.

I dont see that things are that different for cars etc
My MIL lives 45 minutes from a beach, no public transport to there.
I know lots of people in Toronto who don't drive, it's no big deal at all. Then there are lots of people who can drive but who don't own a car (usually because the insurance is too much) they rent or belong to zipcar or similar.

Once you get the suburbs then you need a car for everyone in the household, that's one reason why I can't fathom raising children in a place like Mississauaga, inevitably they'll drink and they have to drive, it's a recipe for disaster.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

More wide open space. Less (almost no) crime. Far less stress. No Fighting traffic. A house where I cant smell my neighbours farts and can afford the mortgage on one salary so my wife can stay home while the kids are still small.

Thats pretty much it for me.

The main differences I think come down to the lower population densities...all the good stuff springs from that I think. Whether that applies if you choose to live in a major city is perhaps questionable, but it works for me here.

Driving is important because with the lower population density everything you might want to do is spread out a lot more, and being north america, public transport is pretty much an afterthought and largely restricted to the major cities. Besides, who wants to wait for a bus when its -30°C with the windchill like today anyway? Driving makes everything a lot easier to do.

Frankly the "canadian lifestyle" doesnt really exist, its whatever you want it to be, although you can safely rule out sunbathing in February I guess unless you are going to jet off to somewhere a lot warmer. The two key enabling factor in the "lifestyle" thing are to improve your work / life balance, and to reduce your housing costs relative to your income...if you can do that then there is more money left for other things, and although money wont buy you happyness, it can certainly reduce your unhappyness! The work life balance though is something we all have to work at, and too many canadians work too long hours if you ask me. Both things should be possible with a move to canada, especially if you bring significant equity from your UK house sale, or choose your new part of canada carefully.
For us its more stress, money hassles, health, job security.

I'm not sure that the prevalence of crime affects lifestyle for most people. Lifestyle to me is what you do in your leisure, what the culture is at work, social norms, invites to peoples homes, the bbq thing etc.

I can see that your lifestyle is good from what you say. I can see that my friend who moved here 20 years ago as a single mum has given her daughter a better life, but I cant see any difference to our lives. We tell ourselves that this time next year will be different, better jobs, new house, more settled. I hope so.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know lots of people in Toronto who don't drive, it's no big deal at all. Then there are lots of people who can drive but who don't own a car (usually because the insurance is too much) they rent or belong to zipcar or similar.

Once you get the suburbs then you need a car for everyone in the household, that's one reason why I can't fathom raising children in a place like Mississauaga, inevitably they'll drink and they have to drive, it's a recipe for disaster.
Exactly what i was saying earlier, its not a country wide thing, more of a town city divide. The kids in the UK may not have cars but their parents spend most of their time being a taxi service.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

susanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant futuresusanmom has a brilliant future

I think it boils down to the need to be very specific about why you want to move - we wanted a bigger house and more sport/outdoor stuff for the kids to do. We do have that, but I work much longer hours for less money, deductions seem higher (tax, etc) but then thats because I am paying for medical insurance. Prescription costs can be huge otherwise!
General cost of living (including utilities) seem higher than UK, while housing and gasoline are cheaper

Susan
Old Feb 12th 2008, 3:53 am
Just Joined

redflame is a jewel in the roughredflame is a jewel in the roughredflame is a jewel in the roughredflame is a jewel in the roughredflame is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Honest answers please -Canadian lifestyle

Originally Posted by G586
Hello & welcome!

This is best asked in the Lifestyle Forum of this site plus you can search it for specific things that are important to you.

Also read the Wiki if you haven't already as there are many articles written by BE Canada people to help you. Particularly as you need to have an idea of who you would emigrate as there are different ways, each with different timescales.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...dian_Lifestyle

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...an_Immigration
Go for it, what have you got lose
Old Feb 12th 2008, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I moved out here because my girlfriend is Canadian, but as far as I'm concerned:

Pluses:

1. Can afford a nice house rather than a rat-hole in chav-town. And we'll probably have paid off the mortgage in five years.
2. No chavs setting cars on fire down the road from where I work.
3. Huge country with a lot of open space and variation in landscape (though you don't see much other than flat, flat and flat in Saskatchewan!)
4. Less oppressive government, at least for the moment.
5. Most things are cheaper, so even after a 25% pay cut we're better off. Until I got bored and found a job we were living on my girlfriend's salary alone, which is about 50% of what I made in the UK; admittedly that only covered basic mortage/living expenses and not one-off expenses like car maintenance etc.
6. I've been using buses to get to and from work and they're far better than the ones I had to use occasionally in the UK.

Minuses:

1. It's a bit cold at times .
2. Long distance from family; my father died after I moved over, but it was sudden (though not entirely unexpected after a stroke last year) and even if I'd been in the UK it's unlikely I could have got there in time. And I'd spent two weeks with my parents before moving over while sorting through my stuff and dealing with shipping, etc, so I'd have felt worse if I was still there and hadn't done that!
Old Feb 12th 2008, 12:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by daft batty
For us its more stress, money hassles, health, job security.

I'm not sure that the prevalence of crime affects lifestyle for most people. Lifestyle to me is what you do in your leisure, what the culture is at work, social norms, invites to peoples homes, the bbq thing etc.

I can see that your lifestyle is good from what you say. I can see that my friend who moved here 20 years ago as a single mum has given her daughter a better life, but I cant see any difference to our lives. We tell ourselves that this time next year will be different, better jobs, new house, more settled. I hope so.
Ah well, as Ive said before many many times, the job is the thing...happily employed = happy immigrant.

Didnt have kids in the UK, so cant really comment on those differnces, but no complaints about stuff for the kids to do here, but, living in a rural area a certain amount of driving them too and fro is obviously to be expected, even if its just 5 mins into the local village which provides an amazing number if of things for them to do considering the population is only a couple of thousand.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 12th 2008 at 12:55 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant futureCanadian Citizen has a brilliant future

While watching BBC tv news last night I was amazed to see an item about how often UK firefighters are ATTACKED by mobs of youths, throwing rocks and cutting the fire hoses. Video of masked kids throwing rocks and firemen being hurt while trying to fight fires. The BBC news report stated that the Firefighters Union has reported that in one year, 2005, over 1500 incidents of this type occurred in Britain. That works out to about 3 attacks , each day of the year.

I was amazed that this happens so much in Britain . I have NEVER heard of such a thing happening in Canada, EVER. Here the fire fighters are our heros , and are rated as the MOST trusted members of our Canadian society.

The tone of the BBC news item was that UK firefighters are afraid to go out to fire calls, because of the danger of being injured by gangs of kids. If that happened here, in Canada, and it dosen't, the fire hoses would be turned on the attackers, for sure. Dripping wet and knocked on their backsides, they would be easy to identify and arrest, I think.

Is this an example of " British lifestyle " ?

Jim B. Toronto.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 1:42 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canadian Citizen
While watching BBC tv news last night I was amazed to see an item about how often UK firefighters are ATTACKED by mobs of youths, throwing rocks and cutting the fire hoses. Video of masked kids throwing rocks and firemen being hurt while trying to fight fires. The BBC news report stated that the Firefighters Union has reported that in one year, 2005, over 1500 incidents of this type occurred in Britain. That works out to about 3 attacks , each day of the year.

I was amazed that this happens so much in Britain . I have NEVER heard of such a thing happening in Canada, EVER. Here the fire fighters are our heros , and are rated as the MOST trusted members of our Canadian society.

The tone of the BBC news item was that UK firefighters are afraid to go out to fire calls, because of the danger of being injured by gangs of kids. If that happened here, in Canada, and it dosen't, the fire hoses would be turned on the attackers, for sure. Dripping wet and knocked on their backsides, they would be easy to identify and arrest, I think.

Is this an example of " British lifestyle " ?

Jim B. Toronto.
The sick side........it has been going on for a few years now, along with attacks on paramedics attending accidents scenes, nurses in A&E departments. It is sickening isn't it? You have to wonder at the mentality of the morons who do this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.