Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved:fair wages?help

Moved:fair wages?help

Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:35 pm

dunniflat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved:fair wages?help

hello everyone ,i hope you can help me ,my husband has been given a job at a farm in Bowden,Alberta.
there are five of us altogether and a collie,three young children ,we are waiting on work permit and he plans to come over end june (so husband expects).
his wages form the month will be 3,500 cad........please how do you think that will last?we will be coming over with some savings to hopefully buy eventually but intend to rent for the first year anyway!...any help or advice appreciated.. ..thank you x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:04 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fair wages?help

That's about $20 per hr based on a 40hr week, not sure what you mean by how long will it last?
All depends on your outgoings I guess? how much is your rent? if you are living rent free on the farm you will be quids in.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by Danny B
That's about $20 per hr based on a 40hr week, not sure what you mean by how long will it last?
All depends on your outgoings I guess? how much is your rent? if you are living rent free on the farm you will be quids in.
thanks for reply danny,
we will probably be renting , and apparently should expect to pay about 1000 cad or more maybe ?im concerned its not enough to kep 5 of us and our dog!
Old Apr 17th 2007, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by dunniflat
thanks for reply danny,
we will probably be renting , and apparently should expect to pay about 1000 cad or more maybe ?im concerned its not enough to kep 5 of us and our dog!
we are hoping to maybe have the first years rent in advance.
so you reckon that should kep us quite easily without rent?we may eventually have a mortgage to pay to come of this and i suppose there is always a chance of a wage rise ?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

hello everyone ,i hope you can help me ,my husband has been given a job at a farm in Bowden,Alberta.
there are five of us altogether and a collie,three young children ,we are waiting on work permit and he plans to come over end june (so husband expects).
his wages form the month will be 3,500 cad........please how do you think that will last?we will be coming over with some savings to hopefully buy eventually but intend to rent for the first year anyway!...any help or advice appreciated.. ..thank you x
Is that before or after tax?

That actually seems pretty low, but I guess it depends on the job. OH and I each earn more than that (no kids), and that pays for our mortgage, bills, one car loan (the other was paid outright) and a little bit extra for savings each month, but we're in the GTA which I would expect has a higher cost of living.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:50 am

thanks for replying,im seriously worried now about how we are expected to manage!especially since you and your oh earn more individually with no kids!!omg!think will need to have a serious chat about all of this again !!

thanks
Old Apr 18th 2007, 12:51 am

oh thats before tax also !!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

rwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond reputerwin has a reputation beyond repute

Is it a year round job or seasonal?
Old Apr 18th 2007, 2:56 am

Originally Posted by rwin
Is it a year round job or seasonal?
its a year round job permanent full time ..extra hours high season etc""
Old Apr 18th 2007, 4:40 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for replying,im seriously worried now about how we are expected to manage!especially since you and your oh earn more individually with no kids!!omg!think will need to have a serious chat about all of this again !!

thanks
I would not chance it with three kids and a dog. I earn slightly more than that and struggle financially with very few debts, five kids and a dog. If you are paying for your own medical and dental, you will have less than $2500 a month to live on. Take off your estimate of rent - take off car insurance and other standing costs...food which is expensive when you have to feed growing kids...you won't have enough to do anything but live from pay cheque to pay cheque.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved:fair wages?help

Thats about what my wife and I make combined, no kids but we have 2 dogs and 3 cats, we make our bills but we never have anything left for fun.

But our rent increased 45% this year and it accounts for most of our monthly exspenses.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by dingbat
I would not chance it with three kids and a dog. I earn slightly more than that and struggle financially with very few debts, five kids and a dog. If you are paying for your own medical and dental, you will have less than $2500 a month to live on. Take off your estimate of rent - take off car insurance and other standing costs...food which is expensive when you have to feed growing kids...you won't have enough to do anything but live from pay cheque to pay cheque.
we will have our medical and dental paid !do you still think we would struggle?hubby really wants to give it a try ,just need honest advice!!thanks !
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Thats about what my wife and I make combined, no kids but we have 2 dogs and 3 cats, we make our bills but we never have anything left for fun.

But our rent increased 45% this year and it accounts for most of our monthly exspenses.
do you mind me asking how much your rent is ?i understand if you dont want to say,just thought it might give me a better understanding of how far the money may stretch?
thanks
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

do you mind me asking how much your rent is ?i understand if you dont want to say,just thought it might give me a better understanding of how far the money may stretch?
thanks
You can check out rents here

www.viewit.ca

and how much you will be paying, personally we are like Cov we bring in that amount and we are just the two of, and we jsut about have enough to get by have $50 a week spending money each and pop a bit away for emergencys,

and we bring that in AFTER tax.

I think either youl have to go out and work as well, or i wouldnt even bother, youl be struggling to make ends meet. i know $3500 seems like a lot but thats only 1,255 quid. can you live off that a month in England?
Old Apr 19th 2007, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
You can check out rents here

www.viewit.ca

and how much you will be paying, personally we are like Cov we bring in that amount and we are just the two of, and we jsut about have enough to get by have $50 a week spending money each and pop a bit away for emergencys,

and we bring that in AFTER tax.

I think either youl have to go out and work as well, or i wouldnt even bother, youl be struggling to make ends meet. i know $3500 seems like a lot but thats only 1,255 quid. can you live off that a month in England?
we actually live in scotland !i think cheaper than england!doesnt seem too bad actually ,livable for a wee while i would hope!
thanks for the link but the job is in bowden so we would need a house there or innisfail.
do you happen to have any more possible links for us to try?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.