Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Credit Cards - Annoying!

Moved: Credit Cards - Annoying!

Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Credit Cards - Annoying!

Shop around - we got unsecured cards on day 3 after arrival.

As R I C H says, no rhyme or reason to credit here - it's at the discretion of the manager. We also got offered a 90% mortgage.

We have had most excellent and personal service from our branch of TD Canada Trust.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Happy_Feet will become famous soon enough

having no credit rating in a new country is all part of the fun of moving

try living in America without a social security number, now that's fun and a whole other story
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:49 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
My experience is that there appears to be no apparent logic to credit here.

I was accepted for a mortgage (RBC) as a tourist here to start a business (which I didn't yet have a WP for). RBC also gave me a $50k credit line and a credit card (unsecured).

I got 0% leases/loans on vehicles and equipment (no security deposits), but was turned down twice for store cards (Sears and The Bay).

Shop around, don't get disheartened and accept that some things won't be immediately available to you.

We had exactly the same experience with RBC, excellent service, no problems with credit. I wonder if it was due to dealing with the Business side rather than the Personal? I had exactly the same problem with a Sears Card when we first applied.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Little D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud ofLittle D has much to be proud of
Default Re: Credit Cards - Annoying!

I transferred my UK Platinum Amex over to a Canadian one and got a $5,000 limit straight away.

We've also got a CIBC Visa and had to put money into a GIC to get that one approved.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 5:58 am
hmm the waiting game....

Spectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant futureSpectrum has a brilliant future

even same with me... cibc needed GIC money before issuing me a credit card. Its been over 2 year now, hopefully getting my money soon with interest

if you can avoid using amex.. not many accept that.
Old Feb 1st 2008, 12:36 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectrum
even same with me... cibc needed GIC money before issuing me a credit card. Its been over 2 year now, hopefully getting my money soon with interest

if you can avoid using amex.. not many accept that.
When we closed down all our accounts with TD and transferred to RBC, we withdrew those useless GIC funds as well.