Moved: Cold

Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:44 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Cold

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
I have had to nag my younger son to put on a coat with him moaning that he does not need one because it "is only -7 degrees!!"
Oh am I hearing you there!

'Why haven't you got a jumper on there is snow on the ground!' As daughter shrugs on coat and wanders to the bus stop.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 1:08 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa_W
It is a wierd feeling though when you breathe in and you can feel the inside of your nose sticking together as it freezes - that is how I gauge whether it is a particularly cold day!!!
Lol I use that guage too although a little less eloquently ie "ooooh babes its a snot freezing day today"

I will concurr with all the above - moh was very worried about me 'surviving' the cold (piffpoff - with you on the wearing outdoor clothes indoors, in the UK I had been known to wear wooly jumpers to bed even with the heating on)

My advice is just to take loads of layers ie

Vest tops
Long sleeve t shirts
Thin jumpers
Big f*&$ off jumpers

Wooly tights
Jeans
Snow pants

Trainer Socks
Big wooly socks

Decent Gloves
Big Dr Who scarf
Fluffy head band for ears (or a wooly hat)
And a lovely thick down filled puffa jacket (I have a Helly Hansen I used to wear in the UK and granted it does allow me to put all the above on underneath but by the time i'm ready to go out if I don't leave the house I would die of heat stroke!!!)

I also have a chunky pair of timberland boots one size too big so I can get tights/thin socks/fat socks on and they are good in normal snow. (ie not above ankle deep which we haven't had yet here in Drumheller)

Get some snow boots when you're here, you can pick them up from anywhere a lot cheaper and better for the climate than in the uk, i'll probly be getting mine from Canadian Tire (you can see them online) and believe me you WON'T feel out of place wearing all that.

HTH
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:39 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Mandymoo, I think that's a little extreme for everyday wear

I am about to walk Henry - He's puffing in frustration that I'm on this infernal thing again!

I have a pair of yoga pants (thin) and pair of jogging pants a vest type t-shirt and a hoody, I will put on a scarf, gloves, coat and winter boots and then walk as brisk as is possible on icy pavements and in 4 inches of soft snow for 40 mins or so.

Later when I go to work (I will drive) I will have on a normal amount of clothes and my boots and gloves.

It's not got cold enough yet for the snowpants to come out but that weather is comming, we're still experiencing temps of a high of -7/-8 during the day when it drops a little lower I will be pulling on snowpants for the morning walks.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:50 pm
Account Closed

Bertieblackdog is an unknown quantity at this point

All sounds brilliant...i'd love to see some photos of alberta so if any of you guys have some you could send it would really be appreciated. I don't mean the usual scenes you see I just meant every day scenes around where you live. Thanks again for all the info !!
Bert
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:06 pm

As requested!

So there are snow pictures from crimbo day, the rainbow one was taken from where the hospital is (the day hubby was rushed in). The river one was taken when the river flooded and reached it's highest level for 100 years or summat (the month after we arrived). The bridge one in a footbridge across the river down town.
Attached Thumbnails Moved: Cold-christmas-2007-001.jpg   Moved: Cold-rainbow.jpg   Moved: Cold-train-bridge-snow-small-.jpg   Moved: Cold-river-flood-5-2005.jpg  
Old Dec 31st 2007, 10:03 pm
Account Closed

Hey thanks a lot...looks like a lovely place. Love the bridge. Do you get any good bands coming to play there? I like my music and me and a few mates go and see bands 3 or 4 times a year...I think I'd miss that kinda thing.
Thanks again for taking the time to send the photos!
Bert
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:30 pm

We do have some 'names' playing at the Centrium - not sure how worth seeing some of them are though This year so far we have John Mellancamp and Tom Jones advertised as well as some others that I can't remember. Just check out ticketmaster and type in Red Deer. Edmonton and Calgary have some much bigger names and as we are only 1.5 hours away from both Cities it's still quite accessable to go to these places.

The Bridge picture is one of my favourite ones, I would love to make it into a poster picture.
Old Jan 1st 2008, 7:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
We do have some 'names' playing at the Centrium - not sure how worth seeing some of them are though This year so far we have John Mellancamp and Tom Jones advertised as well as some others that I can't remember. Just check out ticketmaster and type in Red Deer. Edmonton and Calgary have some much bigger names and as we are only 1.5 hours away from both Cities it's still quite accessable to go to these places.

The Bridge picture is one of my favourite ones, I would love to make it into a poster picture.
Thanks for that....now a completely daft question but does that river you took picture of completely freeze over in Winter..guess so...for how many months?
Happy new year by the way
Bert
Old Jan 1st 2008, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bertieblackdog
Thanks for that....now a completely daft question but does that river you took picture of completely freeze over in Winter..guess so...for how many months?
Happy new year by the way
Bert

Happy New Year Bert.

The river was completely frozen by about the middle of november and people will skiddo on it until mid march. The local Bower Ponds (boat/fishing lake) freezes around the same time then the city get the Zamboni's (ice clearers) on it to make public skating. Also around 57 community ice rinks are built in the sub divisions (estates) for skating, these skating areas are usually open from early December to mid March.

Here are a couple of piccies of Sylvan Lake taken in the winter of 2005. The entire lake freezes and people ice fish, skate and skidoo on it too. (Sylvan Lake is about 20 mins from us and is the nearest 'beach' location).
Attached Thumbnails Moved: Cold-sylvan-lake-3.jpg   Moved: Cold-sylvan-lake-2.jpg  
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 4:27 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there just read this - lol PP may seem extreme but a warm happy me is better than a very cold grumpy me!!!

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t%20Christmas/

Heres a link to pics of our walk on Xmas day. I'm stood literally in the middle of the Red Deer river and our house is on the left hand side of me, the stunning scenery is the other side!!!

Obviously when the river is no longer frozen we have to drive quite a long way round to get to that part so we took advantage of it whilst it was there!!

It was minus 10 on that day and I didn't have my snow pants on
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:05 pm

Cool pictures! I am with you on being warm, believe me. I have extra jumpers in the car and I always take a coat/spare jumper wherever we go even in the summer. We have been caught out on too many occasions. If we were to go for a day trip out somewhere (i.e. Lake Louise) this time of year I would also take snowpants and spare trousers - better safe than sorry.
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Hi there just read this - lol PP may seem extreme but a warm happy me is better than a very cold grumpy me!!!

http://s172.photobucket.com/albums/w...t%20Christmas/

Heres a link to pics of our walk on Xmas day. I'm stood literally in the middle of the Red Deer river and our house is on the left hand side of me, the stunning scenery is the other side!!!

Obviously when the river is no longer frozen we have to drive quite a long way round to get to that part so we took advantage of it whilst it was there!!

It was minus 10 on that day and I didn't have my snow pants on
Thanks for the pictures...appreciate it...couldn't see your house though
Bert