Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Cochrane - yay or nay?

Moved: Cochrane - yay or nay?

Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:20 am
Just Joined

chater is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Moved: Cochrane - yay or nay?

My husband and I have just returned from a reccee trip to Calgary and found that Cochrane is where we'd like to live. We only had a week there which isn't a huge amount of time to really get to know a place so, if anyone lives in Cochrane and would like to give their views on the place, I'd love to hear them (good and bad!). Are people friendly, social lives etc.
Many thanks

Just another question I though of.....We would or should I say I would like to skating lessons and both of us would like to learn to ski and what better time then when we move to Canada! Does anyone recommend somewhere where we could do this? I tried to make enquiries when we were there but didn't get very far.

Last edited by chater; Feb 14th 2008 at 8:55 am.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:34 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cochrane - yay or nay?

I don't live in Cochrane, but here are a couple of previous discussion threads about it:
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:15 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Cochrane - yay or nay?

Thank you - I will read the links.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Cochrane - yay or nay?

Originally Posted by chater
Just another question I though of.....We would or should I say I would like to skating lessons and both of us would like to learn to ski and what better time then when we move to Canada! Does anyone recommend somewhere where we could do this? I tried to make enquiries when we were there but didn't get very far.
http://www.cochraneskatingclub.ca/
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:19 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

For information about skiing, see the discussion thread entitled Banff.

The above mentioned thread will give you BE members' opinions and experiences. If you just want to cut to the chase and find out about the ski slopes that are near Calgary / Cochrane, look at the Alberta Rockies section of the TripAdvisor Wiki article called Canadian Rockies Skiing.

Essentially you have Sunshine, Lake Louise and Norquay in Banff National Park, and Nakiska and Fortress Mountain in Kananaskis Country.
Old Feb 14th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Bump this up in around 10 days when annM gets home!!

There are loads of Brits in Cochrane!

I would recommend Nakiska for ski lessons for beginners

Gryphea
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much to Biiiiink, Judy in Calgary and Gryphea. The information you gave me was really helpful. I've got lots of reading to do!

X
Old Feb 14th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

leepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to beholdleepee is a splendid one to behold

Hiya....
My son learnt to ski at Canada Olympic Park. They also do beginner's lessons for adults. He learnt to skate at Calgary University - Olympic Oval. Again, they do adults courses at a reasonable price....
HTH
Lisa
Old Feb 14th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Well for what it's worth I'd move over to Cochrane in a shot if we could afford it
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:47 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

My husband and I have just returned from a reccee trip to Calgary and found that Cochrane is where we'd like to live. We only had a week there which isn't a huge amount of time to really get to know a place so, if anyone lives in Cochrane and would like to give their views on the place, I'd love to hear them (good and bad!). Are people friendly, social lives etc.
Many thanks

We moved to Cochrane straight from the UK 6 years ago and it is a really great place. Still a small town where you can get to know the staff in the local shops, but large enough to have a selection of shops!

Excellent schools, and most people can get a doctor here. 45 minutes for skiing at Nakiksa, 1hr to banff. 20 minutes to the edge of Calgary/crowfoot for all other shopping, 30 minutes to Market mall.

Lots of community groups if you wish to join those sort of things, all sports are played here. River and Ghost lake used a lot.

Plenty of new housing as well as some traditional stuff in a variety of price brackets, $250 - 4.8 million.

If you want more information just pm me, I even have an information booklet on the place if you are interested.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Plenty of new housing as well as some traditional stuff in a variety of price brackets, $250 - 4.8 million.
Bloody hell, has Cochrane missed out on the housing boom in Calgary. At $250 I want 10
Old Feb 16th 2008, 1:35 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Bloody hell, has Cochrane missed out on the housing boom in Calgary. At $250 I want 10
I said there are houses for $250 meaning $250,000. Yes we did have the housing boom in 2006 which for $250,000 you will get a small 2 bedroom apartment where you can not have a cat as you can not swing them

But if you are interested in the 4.8 million dollar acerage just pm me