Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Canadian Tax Return or Equivalent

Moved: Canadian Tax Return or Equivalent

Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:34 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: Canadian Tax Return or Equivalent

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes, I think it is probably worth going to an accountant for the first year. (I know, I would say that wouldn't I?)

Of course, I'm sure you could do it yourself, but there are some little complications to sort out:

* are the lump sum payments included in your OH's T4?
* are some home costs (light, heat, insurance etc) allowable
* are his other expenses allowable?

Find a small, local firm (CA or CGA) and you shouldn't pay more than $100 for the two returns.
Thanks for the price guideline. I did wonder if any money claimed back would go straight into the Accountant's pocket for his fees
Old Jan 18th 2008, 3:40 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
Thanks for the price guideline. I did wonder if any money claimed back would go straight into the Accountant's pocket for his fees
Probably. From the accountants point of view they hope the tax savings they can find will more than compensate for their fees. But next year, and the year after that, you will know what you can claim and it's all free.

It might be worth shopping around. I've given quite a tight budget for their fees, but these look like very straightforward returns.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:53 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

We are thinking of hiring an account just to make sure we are doing everything correctly this year. Next year we could buy software and do it ourselves.

Good idea or not ????
Sounds reasonable. But why not try Quicktaxweb first. You can input all your details and see how it goes before making a payment. The payment might be considerably less than an accountant. Or just do it to get an idea what's asked for.

Or you could try it anyway and then compare it with the accountant's results.

They haven't got 2007 'up' yet, but you might be able to do everything as if you were filing for 2006 - just for practice.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:00 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Will have a attempt over the weekend.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:49 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Will have a attempt over the weekend.
Lump sum allowances are considered to be employment income. Is the lump sum for home use included on your OH's T4 (year end employment tax information slip)? If not, it must be declared on line 104 of the tax return.

There is a very limited number of deductions an employee can claim against wages/salary. The general rule is that the employee must be required, as a condition of their employment contract, to incur these expenses. The first step is to get the employer to certify this by downloading, completing and signing form T2200.

With this in hand download guide T4044 and form T777 to calculate any allowable expenses. Normally, clothing and equipment are not allowed (though a tradesman's tools may be), and home light/heat/maintenance etc are only allowed to the extent that a part of your home is used more than 50% of the time for work activities. Union and professional subscriptions are usually allowable expenses, others only if they are required by your OH's contract of employment