Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: Canadian Driving License

Moved: Canadian Driving License

Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud ofKittykerr has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moved: Canadian Driving License

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
How do the authorities manage to hold on to your british liscence anyway and what is the reason?
My belief is the liscence is the property of the uk dvla according to law so are they actually allowed to do this?
i got this info of a policeman and he doesnt think they can legally keep it.

Shouldnt argue mind you im soo relieved i dont have to sit a test again id fail miserably

Karen
nonesense, he obviously doesnt know what he's on about. there is an agreement between Canada and UK to exchange licences. Canada then send them back to the DVLA under this exchange agreement.

thats why i think asking for a duplicate from the DVLA is stupid, as they will know you have not lost the old one when Canada send it back to them under the exchange agreement.

the reason they do it is because it is illegal in Canada to hold more than one licence at a time. so you must surrender any old ones.

Scott, an ex UK policeman..
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:53 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kittykerr
nonesense, he obviously doesnt know what he's on about. there is an agreement between Canada and UK to exchange licences. Canada then send them back to the DVLA under this exchange agreement.

thats why i think asking for a duplicate from the DVLA is stupid, as they will know you have not lost the old one when Canada send it back to them under the exchange agreement.

the reason they do it is because it is illegal in Canada to hold more than one licence at a time. so you must surrender any old ones.

Scott, an ex UK policeman..
I've got 4
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:55 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

sorry scott,

I did not realise they sent them back to the uk, thought they just kept them.

he does think hes right far too often
Old Nov 6th 2007, 11:09 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

In reality many licencing offices don't understand or implement the exchange anyway. In SK the clerk didn't ask me to exchange my licence, nor did BC. What use is my UK licence anyway - the address on it is irrelevant now.
Old Nov 7th 2007, 3:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by koogar
I've got 4
Darn it, i,ve only got three
Old Nov 7th 2007, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

the_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond reputethe_tones_guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Driving License

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Cheeky cow at Enterprise in Heathrow last year stated that the excess for holders of North American licenses was the full value of the car. Pretty sure that this was a ploy to try to get me to take our more insurance (we didn't because we're covered by work benefits), but regardless we won't be using them again.
I am surprised about Enterprise (but not the fact it's the UK part), when me and the Mrs came over in July for our 'shall we live here' trip (to St John's), we used Enterprise and the quality and service could not have been anything better.

In fact, I paid about $12 per day extra for an insurance that if I wrote the car off, i could just walk away from it.

They were a bit pricey though, but worth that bit extra for the big company service.

When we come for good, we will use Enterprise again or rent-a-wreck in Mt Pearl $20 a day.