Reload this Page >

Moved: Calling all motorbike owners

Moved: Calling all motorbike owners

Old May 18th 2007, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

TheTonkins is on a distinguished road
Default Moved: Calling all motorbike owners

Hello folks,

(I posted this on the Canada Forum to zero response, so I shall try here!)

Has anyone imported their motorbikes to BC? If so, did they feel it was worth doing?

We have three "classic status" bikes which we'd like to keep, but we are not sure if it is more hassle
to import them or to buy new ones! My husband has checked and they are all "allowed" bikes regarding regulations etc.

If we do take them with us, do they just go in the crate with everything else?
What about insurance?

I read an earlier thread about riding on BC roads (!), but at least we have driven on them when visiting
(in the snow), so we do have an idea of what we are in for. It will be interesting to compare with UK biking...

Thanks for any information or advice!

Carol
Old May 18th 2007, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Default Re: Moved: Calling all motorbike owners

Hi there,
Sorry cant help with your question there. i was going to take my Cagiva Gran Canyon out but to be honest thought better of it as they are more popular in the states and Canada than here so will look for a new one in time.
Soz cant help best of luck thou.
LOAFY...
Old May 18th 2007, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that Loafy!
We may end up buying out there too the way things are going, but it could be expensive.

However there may not be enough room in the crate! I imagine that you would need to let someone know that there is a vehicle (or two) in there.

Would be good to hear from anyone who has actually moved their bike or bikes though! I know a few of you have them....

Carol
Old May 19th 2007, 2:53 pm
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

I brought my bike to BC but whether I can get it registered and road legal is another matter.

If a bike (or car) is over 15 years old then you will be able to bring it to Canada and register it. I suspect it will need a safety check (as with any "out of province" vehicle).

You can just include the bikes in your container (if that's your shipping method). The fuel must be drained but oil and coolant can remain.

I made a crate for my bike to make loading and unloading quicker (no tying down issues, simply screw the crate to the container's wooden floor).

As for insurance; we didn't bother with our container. The contents that had any real value were not replaceable. What are the chances of a total loss of a container? One in a million? One in 100,000? What ever it is I reckoned it was pretty unlikely.

I don't see a problem with driving on BC roads. If you're in the mountains be wary of animals. Other than that, just ride safely and enjoy the amazing scenery.

If you do bring them make sure you get a "Form 1" from customs when you land or when you go to sign the goods. I forgot to do this so don't know whether I can do it now.

Finally, make sure the bikes are free of mud. This could end up being the biggest aggravation as the agricultural authorities may want to open you container and inspect the contents. This could cost you a lot as they have a company to do this. If you use an international mover they can advise you on this.

Good luck,

Ian.

Originally Posted by TheTonkins
Hello folks,

(I posted this on the Canada Forum to zero response, so I shall try here!)

Has anyone imported their motorbikes to BC? If so, did they feel it was worth doing?

We have three "classic status" bikes which we'd like to keep, but we are not sure if it is more hassle
to import them or to buy new ones! My husband has checked and they are all "allowed" bikes regarding regulations etc.

If we do take them with us, do they just go in the crate with everything else?
What about insurance?

I read an earlier thread about riding on BC roads (!), but at least we have driven on them when visiting
(in the snow), so we do have an idea of what we are in for. It will be interesting to compare with UK biking...

Thanks for any information or advice!

Carol
Old May 19th 2007, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks very much for that information Chops, very useful.

Our bikes are over 15 years old, so should be ok from that point of view. In the end if we do it, we will probably only bring two... a tourer for us both and one for hubby to scoot around on!

It is really the hassle of (as you say) maybe needing extra checks with the container and all of that, which puts us off... especially if it is quite easy to buy the same (or similar) bikes over there.

Maybe I should ask some shipping companies what they advise too.... thanks again, much appreciated.

Good to hear that you are enjoying the BC riding too The weather should be about right for it now.

Carol
Old May 19th 2007, 8:49 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there my husband has two classic bike currently in transit. They are both motocross bikes so don't need registering but they are just going on the container with all our household goods. We have been told that the bikes will be removed from the container as soon as it arrives and be dealt with separately from the other stuff and that we will have to go back to collect them at a later date. So there is some hassle involved but it depends how much your bikes mean to you. Angela
Old May 19th 2007, 11:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Angela,

Glad to hear that someone else is going through the experience!

We have been speaking about it again tonight, (because we don't really want to sell our bikes!), and I think that we will probably do it, whatever the hassle. As you say, it may not be too bad. Also, the cost of second-hand bikes is a bit steep as far as we can see!

We were just going to put them in the container, taking on board whatever extra instructions may need to be followed. Have 'em nice and clean eh?

I will be interested to hear how your husband gets on when yours arrive at the other end! ...You are not the family with the trike are you? I know there is someone on the forum with one!

Thanks for posting, and good luck with your move!

Carol