Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Moved: 2 weeks annual leave? nah it can't be true - can it?

Moved: 2 weeks annual leave? nah it can't be true - can it?

Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:31 am
Just Joined

is vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really niceis vic there... is just really nice
Default Re: Moved: 2 weeks annual leave? nah it can't be true - can it?

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Yip its true Sheryl

Job I came to here in Canada 2 weeks leave

New job starting in few weeks YIP, you guessed 2 weeks leave

I find it hard as I left the UK with 9 weeks annual leave !!!!

Eddie
...why on earth would you come to canada then...to london ?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling I banned all posts whining about how much holidays people got in Canada!!

I think there were two differing opinions -- one was that some people got more than two weeks ...

The other was that if it matters so MUCH to you the amount of holidays you get - then don't come to Canada!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

RubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond reputeRubyRose has a reputation beyond repute

I agree
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:30 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

This thread has to be a wind up ....surely. Not another one of these whinging threads.

Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:40 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

2 to 3 weeks to start is the norm, but there are almost 2 other weeks due to Statutory holidays.

Many of us did not even bother taking our allotted Vacation Time, My Son has not had a Vacation in 3 years, he would rather work.

He is changing his office location for about 6 months, he works from Home, they are moving to Hawaii.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:45 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Many of us did not even bother taking our allotted Vacation Time, My Son has not had a Vacation in 3 years, he would rather work.
There, I think, is the whole case against Canada. There's no concept here that one should enjoy anything outside work unless it involves ice hockey.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 11:48 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 2 weeks annual leave? nah it can't be true - can it?

Originally Posted by irthedino
It's still hard to stomach when i get 34 days at the moment with the Probation Service!!
Do you get fewer days if you behave?
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:21 pm
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of

dbd33, a nurse that works at our local hospital would make a higher income by staying home and collecting her Pensions, she is 68, she would rather work.

I feel sorry for people who do not enjoy their job, I always found some thing I liked to do and then got some one to pay me to do it.

Mmany of my Neighbours, financially quite well off, take part time jobs as golf Course Marshalls or working part time in stores, beats day time TV.

Another lady we know teaches bridge on Cruise Ships, gets paid, her cruise free, gets to meta lot of nice people.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 12:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
dbd33, a nurse that works at our local hospital would make a higher income by staying home and collecting her Pensions, she is 68, she would rather work.

I feel sorry for people who do not enjoy their job, I always found some thing I liked to do and then got some one to pay me to do it.

Mmany of my Neighbours, financially quite well off, take part time jobs as golf Course Marshalls or working part time in stores, beats day time TV.

Another lady we know teaches bridge on Cruise Ships, gets paid, her cruise free, gets to meta lot of nice people.

I'm sure the elderly people shakily demonstrating food products at Costco also do it because they find it fulfilling; it's the local culture. In this office I'm the only person to have taken any vacation in the past fifteen years. Most people turn up even on the few days that are holidays both here and in the US when there's very little to do. I would say that they do it because they lack imagination, they cannot think of things to do on a day away from the office, but one could as well say that they do it because it's the thing they most enjoy in life.

The overall point is that such behavior while not quite the norm in Canada isn't unusual. In the UK the culture is different and people can openly admit to enjoy vacations, weekends away from work and the like. It's culturally acceptable in the UK to value other things than the good of the firm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:07 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

I started on two, and now have three.

I enjoy my job and dont have a stressed lifestyle here that I feel the need to get away from for weeks at a time, so Im alright with it. I guess its just the price you pay for the many benefits of living here.

If I was stressed / didnt like my job, then it would be a problem, but its just the way it is here so you live with it.

Generally in the health service here slightly more vacation is the norm I think, but not to Uk levels.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jul 9th 2007 at 1:25 pm.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:16 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
Generally in the health service here slightly more vacation is the norm I think, but not to Uk levels.
In the health service there's also the advantage of shift work. Nurse daughter has just returned from four days canoe-camping, her second such trip this year; no vacation days required, just a bit of swapping. Of course that only works if your partner also has a negotiable schedule.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 1:19 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

My SIL is a nurse on the south shore. This year is the first time ever that she has been able to take Summer vacation at the same time as her 12-year old daughter.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

i am wondering why some people are saying this is a *whining* thread....or that it is a wind up ...or another...whinging thread about holildays..????

just because you have been coming here to expats or living in Canada for a period of time and aware of things already..doens't mean everyone is.....???

new people are coming here all the time seeking information and wanting to learn and understand..that is all i read in the persons post who started the thread.................and there will be more to come as time goes by. holiday time is a big issue for some people..and nothing wrong with that..we all have our own individual issues that are important to us.....heck i have seen some on here about what kind of milk..they have in Canada.....LOL...or.....the size of kitchen sinks.......LOL......soooooooo~ just goes to show what is important to some isnt' to others and vice versa!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:02 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf
i am wondering why some people are saying this is a *whining* thread....or that it is a wind up ...or another...whinging thread about holildays..????

just because you have been coming here to expats or living in Canada for a period of time and aware of things already..doens't mean everyone is.....???

new people are coming here all the time seeking information and wanting to learn and understand..that is all i read in the persons post who started the thread.................and there will be more to come as time goes by. holiday time is a big issue for some people..and nothing wrong with that..we all have our own individual issues that are important to us.....heck i have seen some on here about what kind of milk..they have in Canada.....LOL...or.....the size of kitchen sinks.......LOL......soooooooo~ just goes to show what is important to some isnt' to others and vice versa!
All that being said, there is a search function in these forums it would be nice if it were used once in a while.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:04 pm
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf

Its the old argument about using the search function innit....Im sure its been discussed before if you search for it.....

But in that case we might as well all bugger off and find a more productive way to waste time as virtually everything that comes up as a "new" topic has in fact been done before. often more than once.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.