Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Move from UK to Vancouver - can I afford it?

Move from UK to Vancouver - can I afford it?

Old Mar 4th 2024, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Ed.D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move from UK to Vancouver - can I afford it?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What visa would you be on then? IEC?
Yes I believe so
Old Mar 4th 2024, 1:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ed.D
Yes I believe so
You believe so? Have you already applied and been selected? If so, then that's fine and hopefully your employer will only have to wait a couple of months for you to be able to start work.

But if you haven't got an IEC app underway already then you may need to rethink. Most of the visas have already gone for this year and chances are now 'very low' for getting selected in the lottery - https://ircc.canada.ca/english/work/...ntry=gb&cat=wh

This is assuming you're only a UK citizen of course and don't have citizenship of another country that you can apply under?

Old Mar 4th 2024, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

It's still quite early days in the process so I haven't applied yet, but did just notice the working holiday visa is open to those aged 18-35, whereas I'm 38, what does that mean, can I not apply for one?
Old Mar 4th 2024, 3:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

It's still quite early days in the process so I haven't applied yet, but did just notice the working holiday visa is open to those aged 18-35, whereas I'm 38, what does that mean, can I not apply for one?
No, afraid not. Your only option would be for the employer to sponsor you for a visa, I assume they're prepared to do that as they know you're in the UK? But as above, that would mean you couldn't get a second job (you could only work for your sponsoring employer) so do factor that in when doing your budget.
Old Mar 4th 2024, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, I thought that may be the case - an employer-specific or open work permit, or perhaps applying for permanent residency through Express Entry looks like an option.

I'm chatting to them again today to see where we're at, but to be honest, all the research I've done so far shows that $70k just isn't liveable in Vancouver, at least not for the life I'd want. I think it's a case of the right company, wrong job, so I may stay in touch with them and see if they have something more senior opening up in future that's better suited for my experience.
Old Mar 4th 2024, 4:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeah, I thought that may be the case - an employer-specific or open work permit
You're not eligible for an open work permit, so it would be a normal employer specific temp work permit.

or perhaps applying for permanent residency through Express Entry looks like an option.
If you're scoring enough then yes, that's a good option - you'll need above approx 500 on the CRS as a rough guide to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR. Another option is the BC PNP, but that is more onerous on the employer so depends on what they're prepared to do.

I'm chatting to them again today to see where we're at, but to be honest, all the research I've done so far shows that $70k just isn't liveable in Vancouver, at least not for the life I'd want. I think it's a case of the right company, wrong job, so I may stay in touch with them and see if they have something more senior opening up in future that's better suited for my experience.
It's definitely worth asking them about which visa they'd be sponsoring you for. If it was PR, then you could work in another job, but most companies would want you out there sooner on a temp work permit and wouldn't be prepared to wait. But ask and see, you never know. And perhaps they may offer more if you explain your research and that it would be quite a step backwards for you? They may be playing hardball and actually be prepared to pay more and give you a good relocation package - again, worth asking just in case.

Also, if you are eligible for PR via EE, then perhaps that's worth looking at. You'd then be work authorised for Canada and much more likely to find a job than somebody who needs sponsoring, if you really want to move there and this specific job doesn't work out then that is a great Plan B.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 4th 2024 at 4:06 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2024, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, appreciate all the help!
Old Mar 4th 2024, 4:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks, appreciate all the help!
No probs. Good luck with the chat later, hope they can give you good news on the visa and salary.
Old Mar 25th 2024, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

@Julien

Hello!

I'm being offered a job in Vancouver on C$70,000 and I currently live in Manchester, UK. I'm trying to work out if that's a realistic salary for a single person to live comfortably in Vancouver. That converts to around £40,000, and for sure, I couldn't live on that salary in the UK on my own.

I know tax rates are less in Canada e.g. 20% on a $70k salary (I think) rather than the 40% I was paying here (I was on £56k), and my outgoings would be less in Canada. The employers in Canada have said it's not as straightforward as just converting the costs but it'd be great to hear from anyone who's done the move.

For example it looks like average rent for a 1 bed apartment in Vancouver is around $2000-$2500, and after tax on a $70k salary in Vancouver, if I've used the right site to check, income would be around $4500, which leaves under $2000 left for everything else - bills, food, travel etc, (ideally some savings too). Looking at prices for groceries it does look like the cost is about the same day-to-day as the UK, so I just don't know if what I'd have left is realistic?

Any help appreciated, thank you!
$70,000 is enough if you have a partner who is making more than you or you intend to live with roommates. It is an awful salary if you intend to live on your own. One bedroom apartments are definitely more like $2500 starting price these days. Then budget $150 approximately for your mobile plan, $40-50 (if in an apartment/condo, or a lot more if you're renting a home) for your utilities, $200 or whatever for public transit or $100+ monthly for car insurance, $70-100 give or take for each tank of gas/petrol (if you have a car), all the money for parking fees, $50+ for one drink and one meal plus tax and tip at a restaurant, and so on. Inflation has skyrocketed prices at supermarkets. Spending $700 per month on groceries for a single person is probably average. It's an expensive city. $70,000 is fine if you can rely on living with somebody who makes twice as much as you do. And if you are as outdoorsy as you say you are, you will want to be in Vancouver or North Vancouver or West Vancouver and not, say, Surrey or rural Langley. If you live in Vancouver proper, especially downtown or in North Vancouver around Lonsdale, you can easily rely on public transit to get you around and to the outdoorsy areas. Having a bicycle and being within walking distance to places also cuts down costs quite a bit. Pay more for renting a place in a central, walkable, bicycle-friendly location - it's worth it in Vancouver. Do not move somewhere where you will need to rely on driving or you will be paying any savings and time on your car and parking.

To hear from real Vancouverites living their lives, go to Reddit's Vancouver and ask there: https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 25th 2024 at 5:39 pm.