Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Move to Ontario, Alberta or Stay put?

Move to Ontario, Alberta or Stay put?

Old Jan 29th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Move to Ontario, Alberta or Stay put?

Wow - Only a year on from all those troubles and turmoils and here we are doing it all again.

John has just been offered another promotion within the company to become 3rd in command but it means moving to Edmonton in Alberta...... Do we don't we?

We were already considering moving to Kingston Ontario with no job to go to. Even tho John loves his job here we really don't like Winnipeg really, or at least the area we are in (30km North).

Come on you lot - Tell us what to do LoL (Opinions welcome)

What does Edmonton have to offer against Kingston?
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to Ontario, Alberta or Stay put?

My brother lives near Kingston (Hartington) in a nice log house on a couple of acres.

2 of his sons went/go to Queens University.

It's a nice area - if you like lakes and english style landscape. Kingston is a bit run down, but has some nice spots and is quite historical.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 4:07 am

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Wow - Only a year on from all those troubles and turmoils and here we are doing it all again.

John has just been offered another promotion within the company to become 3rd in command but it means moving to Edmonton in Alberta...... Do we don't we?

We were already considering moving to Kingston Ontario with no job to go to. Even tho John loves his job here we really don't like Winnipeg really, or at least the area we are in (30km North).

Me and my husband have been living in Edmonton for over two months now.

Can I help in some way?

What are you wanting to know, I'll try my best.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 6:29 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J-A-UK

Edmonton - the house prices are about to fall due the oil prices Alberta is boom and bust on Oil so if you have a job go there.

Kinston - no Job The car workers management will be looking for work, so maybe less opportunity --

So stick with current company get them to pay for the move and expenses ( visits - hotels - flights shipping Car and household stuff) .
There my 2 pennyworth
Old Jan 30th 2009, 12:47 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grah
Edmonton - the house prices are about to fall due the oil prices Alberta is boom and bust on Oil so if you have a job go there.

Kinston - no Job The car workers management will be looking for work, so maybe less opportunity --

So stick with current company get them to pay for the move and expenses ( visits - hotels - flights shipping Car and household stuff) .
There my 2 pennyworth
Edmonton house prices have already fallen - opinions vary on how much further, but my realtor reports a sudden upturn in business so maybe they will level out a bit.

However, I agree that any move paid for by employer is a bonus.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 1:19 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

We've been here since August, so if you have any questions, we'd be pleased to help.

I'm not sure how it compares to where you live, but it's not the most, shall we say, prettiest city. The river valley is nice, but as you probably know, Edmonton is oil country. My route in to work (downtown) cuts right through a couple of major refineries. It's very hard to get around without a vehicle.

We're yet to see all the seasons, but one of my colleagues often moans about early spring (before the thaw) and end of autumn (before the snow, but all the leaves have gone). We've had snow on the ground since December, and it's gone suddenly mild over the last few weeks, so the snow is a dirty mush. Apparently, March/April can look a bit depressing.

On the bright side, it's a dry climate- I can count on one hand the number of times it's rained (a nice change, coming from Manchester).
When we arrived, we caught the tail end of the summer, and it was really nice well in to September. There's absolutely loads to do here for families/kids (although that's probably true for most of Canada). Edmonton is known as the festival city, so there's always something going on.

We're happy enough here at the moment, but I dont think we'll stay in Edmonton once we get PR.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:51 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
We've been here since August, so if you have any questions, we'd be pleased to help.

I'm not sure how it compares to where you live, but it's not the most, shall we say, prettiest city. The river valley is nice, but as you probably know, Edmonton is oil country. My route in to work (downtown) cuts right through a couple of major refineries. It's very hard to get around without a vehicle.

We're yet to see all the seasons, but one of my colleagues often moans about early spring (before the thaw) and end of autumn (before the snow, but all the leaves have gone). We've had snow on the ground since December, and it's gone suddenly mild over the last few weeks, so the snow is a dirty mush. Apparently, March/April can look a bit depressing.

On the bright side, it's a dry climate- I can count on one hand the number of times it's rained (a nice change, coming from Manchester).
When we arrived, we caught the tail end of the summer, and it was really nice well in to September. There's absolutely loads to do here for families/kids (although that's probably true for most of Canada). Edmonton is known as the festival city, so there's always something going on.

We're happy enough here at the moment, but I dont think we'll stay in Edmonton once we get PR.

We have only been here two months as I have stated already and only yesterday it rained

I've heard from fellow expats that this is very rare how typical, I've brought the damn English weather with me.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Dis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura aboutDis-Illusionist has a spectacular aura about

Hi Alison,

Remember us, i know John gave the impression that he wasn't too chuffed about living in and around Winnipeg but what is it exactly that's making you want to leave Selkirk?

p.s. Raj said don't go!
Old Jan 30th 2009, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
We have only been here two months as I have stated already and only yesterday it rained

I've heard from fellow expats that this is very rare how typical, I've brought the damn English weather with me.
It's not goin' ta bleedin rain when it's minus bleedin' thirty is it! Jeez, some peoples' kids!
Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

We're really know nothing about Edmonton - Just looking for opinions there for house prices and what's about.

We have been to Kingston before and found it a plesant place for a holiday....

There'll be no worries about a job if we go to Edmonton, after all it's the job we'd be moving with. But if we carried our first thought through we'll go to Kingston with no job to go to.

So how's the economy in Kingston these days?

We find Winnipeg is Winnipeg - I'll not go into details, becuase I'm bound to offend someone and that's not me.

Old Jan 31st 2009, 12:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dis-Illusionist
Hi Alison,

Remember us, i know John gave the impression that he wasn't too chuffed about living in and around Winnipeg but what is it exactly that's making you want to leave Selkirk?

p.s. Raj said don't go!

Of course we remember you, quiet candle lit dinner - our eyes met across the table as I recall
Old Jan 31st 2009, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by triumphguy
It's not goin' ta bleedin rain when it's minus bleedin' thirty is it! Jeez, some peoples' kids!