Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Motorcycle Licences

Motorcycle Licences

Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light
Default Motorcycle Licences

Hi all

Its the quiet 1 here , Rosies hubby :S lol.......

I have a question please...... its probably been asked before but i couldnt find it in a search, so apologies if it has.

I have a motorcycle licence for here in the UK, what will the procedure be for getting a licence over in NS, the reason being is thet Rosie let me have a new bike 2 months ago, it was my dream bike and im wanting to take it over with me.

Now, obviously if the process is long and drawn out and a logistical nightmare, i may need to re consider my options,

The bike is a Triumph Tiger 955i, there is also a Triumph dealer in NS, so all servicing etc wont be a problem, which is a relief

Just looking for a few pointers really as websites can be a bit confusing at times, just when you think you have got it sussed, some body throws in a curve ball, lol....

hope you guys can help

Regards... Rodders
Old Jun 18th 2005, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Motorcycle Licences

Originally Posted by RodRos&Co.
Hi all

I have a question please...... its probably been asked before but i couldnt find it in a search, so apologies if it has.

I have a motorcycle licence for here in the UK, what will the procedure be for getting a licence over in NS, the reason being is thet Rosie let me have a new bike 2 months ago, it was my dream bike and im wanting to take it over with me.

Now, obviously if the process is long and drawn out and a logistical nightmare, i may need to re consider my options,

The bike is a Triumph Tiger 955i, there is also a Triumph dealer in NS, so all servicing etc wont be a problem, which is a relief

Just looking for a few pointers really as websites can be a bit confusing at times, just when you think you have got it sussed, some body throws in a curve ball, lol....

hope you guys can help

Regards... Rodders
Hi: When I moved from the UK to Ottawa I found to my horror that they don't transfer bike licenses, only car licenses. So I have to resit my test. The bike tests are graduated - M1, then M2, and finally M. The restriction is that with M1 no pillion passenger, no highway, no after sundown riding. With M2 you can take a pillion. Both M1 and M2 specify zero alcohol. Follow this link for more official info: http://www.drivetest.ca/en/license/License.aspx
Hugh's disclaimer: This is Ontario, I'm guessing the same applies to NS.
As an additional problem, the M1 test consists of a written test. I passed all the bike stuff with a mark of 100%, then I failed the general driving test at the first attempt, as you have 20 questions, 16 or more must be answered correctly. What is the minimum parking distance from a fire hydrant? I don't know... etc. I scraped through at the second attempt.
Like you I had a beaut of a bike in the UK, I didn't ship it over though. How I pine for those days!

Last edited by Snave; Jun 18th 2005 at 12:02 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2005, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

burmonk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have found out like snave that I need to re take my tests when I arrive in BC (8th July!) And as far as i can find out there are no exceptions. Would be great if there were.

Re - shipping your bike. I tried to take my BMW1100GS. No problem crating and shipping - like you I visited the main agent (mine is in Victoria) but Canada Transport said no & no again...to me at least. I emailed then and called them but all i got was 'its against the rules'' see section & so on'. So sold the thing. It was a real barstard having to let it go. ONLY happy part is the lower prices in Canada for a replacement. Thinking now of a Pan 1300.
If you do find a way of getting your bike across please post it - it may help others. Too late for me, damm.

Good luck on the move

Hi all

hope you guys can help

Regards... Rodders
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:39 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Hi all

hope you guys can help

Regards... Rodders

Hi Rodders,
I will be moving to N.S at the end of august. I had a Suzuki
TL1000s until recently, when I sold it in preparation for the move
(very hard). However, I will eventualy get another bike in NS.
You have to retake both your car test and your bike test when
you get there unfortunately. I plan to do the car one asap after
arriving, then the bike one next summer. Although I am a big
sports bike fan, I am not sure that I will get a Sports bike over
there because of the state of the roads. I have just driven over
2000 kilometers around N.S. in a Jeep cherokee. There was three
of us on the trip, all experienced motorcyclists and we all agreed
that you would have to know the roads extremely well to ride a
sports bike, with its hard and short travel suspension, or be an
expert rodeo rider. We shall see, once I've been there a while.
There is a race track in the middle of N.S. which is privately owned
by race bike enthusiasts where they hold race meetings etc.
Also you need to consider the fact that it would need to be converted
to Canadian spec. which involves some re-wiring, so this will cost as
well. Anyway, good luck.

Regards Tony.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 3:02 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Interesting that they don't convert motorcycle licenses from the UK in addition to car licenses. When I moved up from Alabama and converted my driver's license, they gave me motorcycle as well as car since in Alabama the same license is rated for both. We both got a laugh out of it since I have never even sat on a motorcycle much less driven one.