British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Motivations for emigration (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/motivations-emigration-446897/)

dbd33 May 7th 2007 7:18 pm

Re: Motivations for emigration

Originally Posted by jempee (Post 4749149)
my point about you and certain others exactly. you either try and big yourselfs up as the only ones with valid opinions or try to make others look stupid. IMO. its not a 'confused story' and i just love the way you put my parents down by saying they were trying to get a handout. cheers for that. You must feel so big.

They were asking for benefits, you say so yourself, that seems like a hand out and exactly what you seem to object to immigrants claiming.

I found this bit confusing

"Oh and before you ask they were questions even we could not work out how to answer. Did tell them to send the forms in and when they called and asked why some questions not filled in they could possibly explain why. But they gave up instead."

but perhaps that's just me.

jempee May 7th 2007 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4749164)
They were asking for benefits, you say so yourself, that seems like a hand out and exactly what you seem to object to immigrants claiming.

I found this bit confusing

"Oh and before you ask they were questions even we could not work out how to answer. Did tell them to send the forms in and when they called and asked why some questions not filled in they could possibly explain why. But they gave up instead."

but perhaps that's just me.

No a hand out is when you expect something for nothing where i come from. Thats not what they were asking for.

'Did tell them to send the forms in and when they called and asked why some questions not filled in they could possibly explain why.'

ok went for a brief version (of above), gee forgot your also the grammer etc police along with the rest of your put downs.

jempee May 7th 2007 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 4749161)
I don't know. Why didn't your parents ask that at the time? And what's all this got to do with this thread anyway?

yes they did ask and no they didnt have any help avaliable to them.

dbd33 May 7th 2007 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by jempee (Post 4749199)
No a hand out is when you expect something for nothing where i come from. Thats not what they were asking for.

'Did tell them to send the forms in and when they called and asked why some questions not filled in they could possibly explain why.'

ok went for a brief version (of above), gee forgot your also the grammer etc police along with the rest of your put downs.

I aint the grammar police.

jempee May 7th 2007 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4749207)

as i said before you must feel so big

dbd33 May 7th 2007 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by jempee (Post 4749210)
as i said before you must feel so big

Yes, huge, massive, colossal. Still, we're a long way from a motivation to emigrate; the UK has people who don't understand government programs, so does Canada, governments in the UK provide services in the languages of their clients, so do the ones in Canada. The UK has some problems with its immigrants, so does Canada. The only difference seems to be that, here, we're the problematic immigrants.

startwin May 7th 2007 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4749207)

This is getting way out of hand, and the term "internet bullying" which was mentioned before, seems quite appropriate here. I've seen it happen on other threads, until posters were hounded away from the forum altogether. For heavens sakes, drop it guys. You are all entitled to your opinions, stop hounding someone for having one! And, for what it's worth, someone who has worked and "paid into the system" for years is not looking for a handout, they have a right to help when they need it. And, they have the same rights to assistance as non-English speaking people. Darn, I didn't mean to get into this again.

Tableland May 7th 2007 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by smelly (Post 4729707)
I am curious as to what reasons people have for emigrating to Canada.

Immigrants traditionally left their countries because of "push" factors like economic hardship, political oppression and religious persecution, but these elements do not exist in the UK, or if so to a lesser degree.

It could be said that you have to have a real yearning to leave your birth country and all things familiar, family friends, support network and culture. The major "pull' factors for Canada as I see it are largely lifestyle, and economic factors. So what are your push and pull factors?

I am leaving the UK because I want to mix up my life a bit and see more of the world. I would like my (future) children to benefit from living in more than one country, as I did. On the rather more tacky side, I can get a nicer house with some acres around it, instead of living in the immediate vicinity of unpleasant criminal scrotes, and also six months of grey sludge, freezing cold winds and darkness at 3.30 pm won't be hard to say goodbye to.

I'm not ruling out moving back to the UK, and I may even decide to live in Canada for a while en route to the UK if it takes my fancy. The UK has a lot of problems, many worsened by its tiny size, but it remains a great nation with a truly world class living standard. People may mock the UK - especially those who think they're off to a new life in the Land of Milk & Honey somewhere, but it's not too long before the objective ones realise what the UK had to offer all along.

Another irritant is people going on about how Australia/Canada, etc. offer a better standard of living because of their "cheap" house prices, when what they mean is that their pound Sterling (courtesy of the much-beslagged UK) is a currency that allows the expedited and swift termination of a mortgage in the "colonies". It's got Bugger McAll to do with the indigenous living standard of these nations, but everything to do with exchange rates. Its converse analogy is a Canadian winning a few hundred thousand dollars and moving to Britain and going on about how cheap the houses are, and consequently how much higher his standard of living is.

jempee May 7th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by startwin (Post 4749239)
This is getting way out of hand, and the term "internet bullying" which was mentioned before, seems quite appropriate here. I've seen it happen on other threads, until posters were hounded away from the forum altogether. For heavens sakes, drop it guys. You are all entitled to your opinions, stop hounding someone for having one! And, for what it's worth, someone who has worked and "paid into the system" for years is not looking for a handout, they have a right to help when they need it. And, they have the same rights to assistance as non-English speaking people. Darn, I didn't mean to get into this again.

Thanks Startwin. My sentiments exactly. karma sent.

dbd33 May 7th 2007 7:44 pm

And, they have the same rights to assistance as non-English speaking people.

I don't think anyone is saying that there's a government in the UK that doesn't offer service in English. In fact, I think most posters would accept that one would general do better dealing with a government in the UK in English rather than any other language. That's even true in Canada.

fuschiagirl May 7th 2007 7:57 pm

I completely agree that it is not a "handout" - unfortunately the "system" is geared not to help people like Jempee's parents who have been brought up with a different attitude and do not wish to be a burden on the state even though they are entitled to benefits.

That is why so many elderly people don't claim their entitlements - it goes against their principles even though G Brown presumes they are all claimimg their "rights" when he quotes retirement income!

achanginglife May 7th 2007 9:51 pm

Many thanks for the thread, it is very interesting, really appreciated the comments around homesickness from those living in Canada a long time.

It's clear the motivations behind emigrating are specific and very personal to each individual. Life is about what you make it, doesn't really matter where you are its not about what's in front of you or around you but how you choose to perceive and see those things, and what meaning you attach to them. My choices....

My push -
  • attitude of people in UK, towards negativity which seems to me to be driven by news sensationalism and journalists.
  • intimidation outside corner shops by teenagers (have not seen this in Canada as yet)
My pull
  • general positive and helpful attitude of people living in Canada.
  • chance for my kids to have different opportunities to those in UK
  • Panago pizza's (sorry had to get that one in!)
  • less humidity, beautiful winter's, snow, dog sledding!

Louise

Danny B May 7th 2007 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 4732612)
Canadian houses are cheap so people who move can buy more; not necessarily more of the same things but more land and lots of gas powered things; trucks, speed boats, skidoos, snowmobiles, ATVs and so on (what they unironically call an "outdoor lifestyle"). What's sacrificed for that is culture, history, family and appreciation of language so I think there's a case that emigration to Canada is the choice of the shallow and materialistic person.

Absolutely 100% spot on.

steve666 May 8th 2007 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Danny B (Post 4750017)
Absolutely 100% spot on.

Hey Danny do you consider yourself in any way materialistic and shallow:confused:
I am about 10% I'd say.

Danny B May 8th 2007 6:47 am

Originally Posted by steve666 (Post 4750947)
Hey Danny do you consider yourself in any way materialistic and shallow:confused:
I am about 10% I'd say.

Well I'm certainly not materialistic over here in the UK, but I can see myself in a few years time when we are settled in Canada buying some of the toys that dbd33 mentioned. (already lookimg at www.ktmcanada.com) ;)

I'm trying ever so hard not to think of the negatives, but the last thing I want are two spoilt brats with all the latest goodies who are unhappy that I have dragged them away from their Grandparents, friends and not knowing if they are English or Canadian.

I guess as time gets closer to our big move it's perfectly normal to feel like this :(