Reload this Page >

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

Old Jul 15th 2003, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Scribbler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet

Originally posted by dingbat
Good for you that things went well. For many it has been more - far more - than a "bit of a struggle". I have watched qualified nurses, teachers, doctors and most recently a physiotherapist give up the fight in BC and go home. Many worked themselves into the ground trying to comply with the often ridiculous red tape and equivalency rules. Others bit the bullet and paid thousands of $$ for markedly inferior training in their field. What exactly pisses you off? That some of us choose to tell it as it is for potential immigrants, so that those with similar credentials are forewarned? I wish I had known that years of schooling and work experience would count for bugger all, I would never have come here. I did do my research, I was promised a job (in writing) which then evaporated when I got here and went to see the firm involved. It's not that easy for some - you had a trade - a valuable commodity it seems and good on you for getting on. This land of opportunity wrecked a marriage for me and has left me thousands in debt. More than a bit of a struggle I'd say.
I have had a similar experience to you. I emigrated to Toronto from London, England in October 2002 with my wife and baby daughter. My wife found work after about 4 months, still in the medical field but in a much lower paid job than she was in before. That's how it goes.
As for myself - I was offered a job as a Graphic Designer (in writing) by CBC Television back in 2000. By the time our application came through in 2002, the person who had offered me the job had left and so I was left with a worthless piece of paper. I have since tried to get a brief interview with her replacement but to no avail. In fact, subsequent attempts to get to talk to an actual voice in the department (as opposed to the ubiquitous answering machines that Canadians are so fond of) I was spoken to quite rudely and tersely with a "don't bother me - it's not my problem" kind of attitude.
So many people have said that Canadian employers would be impressed to see I have 8 years of experience at the BBC in London, but this has counted for nothing. Constant telephone requests for feedback, emails and posted applications for even the most junior of jobs in the field have been met with silence.
the market is so saturated with hungry students that will work for peanuts and skip to anybody's tune that someone like me is left on the sidelines.
I've decided to take some positive action and retrain in an expanding field - Teaching English as a Second Language - where it appears there ARE jobs here. At least when I become a teacher I can sympathise with new immigrants and let them know that, although they are treated as second class citizens, it is not just because they can't speak the language very well. I will be able to teach them how best to understand the rejections they will get and how they can maximize their potential to earn minimum wage in a juice bar (alongside me) so that they can supplement their income benefit (which I will show them how to claim for).
So, when I return to the UK, several thousand pounds poorer and several years the wiser, I can feel I have made a difference in this wonderful cuntry with its quaint leaf-fixation.
Attached Thumbnails The Most Advanced 3rd World Country on the Planet-cmsv5-17704_maple_leaf_paper_plates.jpg  
Old Jul 15th 2003, 3:03 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Scribbler
I have had a similar experience to you. I emigrated to Toronto from London, England in October 2002 with my wife and baby daughter. My wife found work after about 4 months, still in the medical field but in a much lower paid job than she was in before. That's how it goes.
As for myself - I was offered a job as a Graphic Designer (in writing) by CBC Television back in 2000. By the time our application came through in 2002, the person who had offered me the job had left and so I was left with a worthless piece of paper. I have since tried to get a brief interview with her replacement but to no avail. In fact, subsequent attempts to get to talk to an actual voice in the department (as opposed to the ubiquitous answering machines that Canadians are so fond of) I was spoken to quite rudely and tersely with a "don't bother me - it's not my problem" kind of attitude.
So many people have said that Canadian employers would be impressed to see I have 8 years of experience at the BBC in London, but this has counted for nothing. Constant telephone requests for feedback, emails and posted applications for even the most junior of jobs in the field have been met with silence.
the market is so saturated with hungry students that will work for peanuts and skip to anybody's tune that someone like me is left on the sidelines.
I've decided to take some positive action and retrain in an expanding field - Teaching English as a Second Language - where it appears there ARE jobs here. At least when I become a teacher I can sympathise with new immigrants and let them know that, although they are treated as second class citizens, it is not just because they can't speak the language very well. I will be able to teach them how best to understand the rejections they will get and how they can maximize their potential to earn minimum wage in a juice bar (alongside me) so that they can supplement their income benefit (which I will show them how to claim for).
So, when I return to the UK, several thousand pounds poorer and several years the wiser, I can feel I have made a difference in this wonderful cuntry with its quaint leaf-fixation.
Brilliantly put, however you choose to read this!
Old Jul 29th 2003, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

I am sorry to hear your story. I have no experience of Canada, but I have seen similar things go on in Oz, where I live.

It is really worth it for you to ditch the professional career and become an English teacher just to stay there? Not interested in returning to the UK? A good career is one of the most important factors in a rewarding life, given the time you have to spend at work, and having worked for the BBC you will miss the challenges and interesting environment, no?
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:07 am
Just Joined

Wilf: Of course I already miss the challenges and the 'interesting environment'.

However, the reason we aren't heading straight back to the UK and the reason we came out here in the first place was explicitly for that reason - the change and the challenge.

Certainly, we never expected it to be so difficult to adapt to life in Canada (without the promise of a reasonable-paying job) but then, if I had stayed in the UK, I would be kicking my heels wondering what COULD have been.

To be perfectly honest, I really think that a year (we have been here only 9 months) is nowhere near long enough to give ourselves a fair crack at the whip. In just over 2 years we will be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship and then, if it suits us, we can just return to the UK reassured that we tried our best and didn't go home 'empty-handed'.

Most people just dream about emigrating and imagine what life could be like but very few of them ACTUALLY do it. We were two of the few people that have made that sacrifice and we know the realities at first hand.

We have close friends who emigrated at around the same time as we did, but to Australia, and they are experiencing similar trials and tribulations on the other side of the world.

My efforts to train in a new career address three issues:

1. Opportunities are available to teach a subject in which I am extremely interested, in a field which is constantly expanding, in a country whose immigrant intake fuels the demand.
It will also pay some bills in the process.

2. TESL classes give me purpose and something to look forward to 2 nights a week instead of watching (crap) TV and moaning that I can't get a job in Graphic Design and that we should just pack it all in and go back to Blighty (where I might find myself in a very similar situation anyway).

3. I am actually learning a lot about my own language!

OK - so I have my optimist's head on today, but if anyone has any better suggestions then please let me know.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Wilf: Of course I already miss the challenges and the 'interesting environment'.

However, the reason we aren't heading straight back to the UK and the reason we came out here in the first place was explicitly for that reason - the change and the challenge.

Certainly, we never expected it to be so difficult to adapt to life in Canada (without the promise of a reasonable-paying job) but then, if I had stayed in the UK, I would be kicking my heels wondering what COULD have been.

To be perfectly honest, I really think that a year (we have been here only 9 months) is nowhere near long enough to give ourselves a fair crack at the whip. In just over 2 years we will be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship and then, if it suits us, we can just return to the UK reassured that we tried our best and didn't go home 'empty-handed'.

Most people just dream about emigrating and imagine what life could be like but very few of them ACTUALLY do it. We were two of the few people that have made that sacrifice and we know the realities at first hand.

We have close friends who emigrated at around the same time as we did, but to Australia, and they are experiencing similar trials and tribulations on the other side of the world.

My efforts to train in a new career address three issues:

1. Opportunities are available to teach a subject in which I am extremely interested, in a field which is constantly expanding, in a country whose immigrant intake fuels the demand.
It will also pay some bills in the process.

2. TESL classes give me purpose and something to look forward to 2 nights a week instead of watching (crap) TV and moaning that I can't get a job in Graphic Design and that we should just pack it all in and go back to Blighty (where I might find myself in a very similar situation anyway).

3. I am actually learning a lot about my own language!

OK - so I have my optimist's head on today, but if anyone has any better suggestions then please let me know.
I hope I do not cause offence with my questions, I am just curious about situations such as yours where someone has to change jobs so much to get a foothold in the new country. I came to Oz as a tradesman and carried on in that same job, you see, so had none of this loss.

What do you say about this:

You work in an area where the world moves quickly onwards all the time - especially the technology - I imagine. Will your skills not be so rusty after the 2 years or so out of your usual career that you will not be able to get back in if you return to the UK? You are getting older every year and ageism can also become an issue as time goes by. Also, what do you feel will be the view of UK employers when you have this as the last thing on your career history? If you would carry on in teaching English in the UK, should it be necessary for you to return, how will you manage on the much smaller money that teaching brings?

Again, I am just curious, not being provocative, please accept that.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lizwil98

One of my duties at my last job was to look after the resumes we received. If we received a resume from a secretary and we were not hiring, I either stuck it in my resume file or else - if it had grammar and spelling mistakes - I chucked it in the garbage! However, all resumes from lawyers or potential articling students got a letter saying "sorry we are not hiring right now." I always replied. It surprises me that you were treated so rudely.
So because someone is a Secretary, they deserve to be ignored do they? Why couldn`t you afford ALL applicants the common courtesy of a reply?

This sucks.

If you say "because we got too many applications from secretaries" that`s a very lame excuse.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:36 am
Just Joined

andybhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh I Seeeee

Originally posted by rzack
Oldmedic, okay now I got it

Well, its more like 'sarcasm' eh? Well I think thats also why Canada always quiet from involving itself in any world's events either politic or whatsoever. They like to be alone and happy.
I am sure I read or heard, that Canada provides more in the way of peace-keeping abroad, per capita ,than most other nations.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Wilf
I hope I do not cause offence with my questions, I am just curious about situations such as yours where someone has to change jobs so much to get a foothold in the new country. I came to Oz as a tradesman and carried on in that same job, you see, so had none of this loss.

What do you say about this:

You work in an area where the world moves quickly onwards all the time - especially the technology - I imagine. Will your skills not be so rusty after the 2 years or so out of your usual career that you will not be able to get back in if you return to the UK? You are getting older every year and ageism can also become an issue as time goes by. Also, what do you feel will be the view of UK employers when you have this as the last thing on your career history? If you would carry on in teaching English in the UK, should it be necessary for you to return, how will you manage on the much smaller money that teaching brings?

Again, I am just curious, not being provocative, please accept that.
Not at all You make a very interesting and valid point.

I am not foolhardy enough to bellieve that I could survive on my teaching salary alone (although, pro-rata, in a private school, the pay isn't too bad at all!). I do have other irons in the fire to supplement my income and so on.

My point is (there's a point?) that anyone less creative/adaptive than myself WOULD find all this NOT just a struggle (as have I) but practically impossible.

I have looked upon this as an opportunity. Since I arrived in Canada I have acted on stage in a theatre after an absence of many years. That is something I would never have 'got round to doing' back in London. I would never have allowed myself the chance to take up teaching. As it is, I still occasionally work freelance as a graphic designer in TV, so (although here they use different software to the BBC) I am not completely out of the loop.

And what do I suppose a potential employer would think? That I've been creative enough to occupy my time and put my talents to good use during a period of excessive supply in my chosen field.

Sure, I could've played it safe and yet I can still go running back 'home', but I feel there are still many avenues yet to be exhausted.

:lecture:
Old Jul 30th 2003, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Rosy
So because someone is a Secretary, they deserve to be ignored do they? Why couldn`t you afford ALL applicants the common courtesy of a reply?

This sucks.

If you say "because we got too many applications from secretaries" that`s a very lame excuse.

Well, to be brutally honest, I'm surprised anybody even bothers to send rejection letters these days.

At the bottom of most Canadian job ads are words to the effect of 'If we think you aren't exactly the person we're looking for then don't be surprised if you get sweet F.A. back as our time is far too precious, but thanks all the same'.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TimEh? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Oh I Seeeee

Originally posted by andybhoy
I am sure I read or heard, that Canada provides more in the way of peace-keeping abroad, per capita ,than most other nations.
I believe that WAS the case but Canada has slipped significantly from being near that top of THAT particular league table.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Wilf
I came to Oz as a tradesman and carried on in that same job, you see, so had none of this loss.
Wilf, like you I emigrated as a tradesman and worked in various trades (and non-trades in between) for the first 21 years; however, things started to go down hill (pay-wise, injuries and general feelings of "I can't take it anymore") so I got out trade work all together.

I went back to school (as they say here) and that meant no income for 3 years. My point is this: When things don't go according to ones expectations you do what you have to do to survive. My investment of 3 years has paid dividends over the past 11 years. There is a lot of moaning in this section (as I have mentioned in the Oz section) about how tough people say they find it here. If it was all easy I doubt that they would appreciate it anyway. It hasn't been all easy for me either but that's why I appreciate it here so much now.

Last edited by TimEh?; Jul 30th 2003 at 2:46 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?
There is a lot of moaning in this section (as I have mentioned in the Oz section) about how tough people say they find it here. If it was all easy I doubt that they would appreciate it anyway. It hasn't been all easy for me either but that's why I appreciate here it so much now.
How much of the moaning is due to a sense of entitlement? I suspect that a lot of Canadians are leery of immigrants from the U.K because of their superiority complex based on status plus the fact that they also have a reputation as whiners.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 2:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by flashman
How much of the moaning is due to a sense of entitlement? I suspect that a lot of Canadians are leery of immigrants from the U.K because of their superiority complex based on status plus the fact that they also have a reputation as whiners.
There is also - with some - a resentment that things are not the same as back 'ome. The funny thing is, I have met very few whiners from the UK. Most seem to be happy and have made a go of it.

A lady stopped in front of my house the other day and said: "I've never met anyone who is proud to be from Leicester" (she had noticed my personilised number plate). I said: " I could take that the wrong way."

Anyway, she was an older lady and she told me her life story in Canada. One of frequent stuggle for her and her husband (a transit worker). But she was happy and spoke of their trials in a positive (almost proud) fashion.

Last edited by TimEh?; Jul 30th 2003 at 10:27 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by TimEh?
There is also - with some - a resentment that things are not the same a back 'ome. The funny thing is, I have met very few whiners from the UK. Most seem to be happy and have made a go of it.

I understand that the Aussies have a term for those who continually harp on how good things were back 'ome.

They're called "Whingeing Poms".
Old Jul 30th 2003, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Rosy, to tell the truth, we really did not get many resumes from secretaries when we were not hiring. I think quite frankly we got two. One of them had a spelling mistake in the name of the law firm she was working for at the time. The other one had such a terrible jumble of work experience and grammar errors that I sent it to my sister, (minus the person's name of course), who teaches students how to get a job and she used it as an example of how not to write a resume.

I guess I should have explained better. If they were hiring then the particular lawyer who was looking for a secretary looked after reviewing the resumes. We got applications from people who had worked in a shoe store and a photograph lab etc. etc. and I know for a fact that they did not get any response at all.

I also think that if we got 50 responses to a job ad and three of them had legal experience, which is how it usually was, then I doubt that anybody bothered to respond to the 47 with no experience. It was just too time consuming.

The reason I replied to lawyer's applications was because normally there was only one of them and so it didn't take a heck of a lot of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.