Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mosquito magnets

Mosquito magnets

Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:07 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mosquito magnets

Originally Posted by Crispie
Ok guys. ...... getting a little worried here

West Nile Virus ! ? ! Must be bad to get it as far west of the Nile as Canada!

And what is Deet?
West nile is a nervous system disease transmitted by mosquitos. Most adults are unaffected, but a few old/sick or very young are killed by it every year, and it can have some nasty symptoms in a few cases. I wouldnt worry about it any more than getting the flu myself, and of course it only takes one bite to get it, so even if you completely clear up your own back yard, you could still get infected somewhere else.

DEET is the only reliable mosquito defence, but its a bit controvercial as it may have nasty side effects. They still land on you and buzz annoyingly around, but the difference is that whatever is in DEET stops the buggers from biting you. And if you miss a bit smearing it around, they will still bite that bit, its doenst work to clear the area or anything like that. I certainly wouldnt go smearing it all over little kids though. There are a few non DEET based bug sprays (often based on Citronella) but there is little / no clinical evidence that they work, although lots of people swear blind that they do. Dryer sheets are a popular one of those legends. I'd rather use DEET any day, although sparingly. Lots of info out there on both subjects.

Another alternative is pesticide foggers that will knock anything out of the air at that moment on time, but the chemicals are pretty nasty, and once you are done fogging, it doesnt take long for other bugs that escaped to arrive.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 27th 2005 at 6:57 am.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:44 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispie
Ok guys. ...... getting a little worried here

West Nile Virus ! ? ! Must be bad to get it as far west of the Nile as Canada!

And what is Deet?
Deet is nasty, but it works...lots of it and the bugs will go away, though who knows if you'll grow a spare limb a few years down the line
And west nile, only have to worry if there is stagnant water in your area, like in tyres, emptied swimming pools etc...
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:27 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys.
Feel just a little less worried but grateful to be educated!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

daisydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

My family wont need to buy a mosquito magnet, they have me
I am the magnet.....Garden full of people they are all on me, you can hire me to sit at the bottom of your garden for barbecues if you like......

I have a theory you can maybe help me with. Many people i have spoken to who get devoured by mossies are blood group O negative, wondered if that was there favourite tipple, would be interested to hear any other tales ???
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:08 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisydoo
I am the magnet.....Garden full of people they are all on me, you can hire me to sit at the bottom of your garden for barbecues if you like......

I have a theory you can maybe help me with. Many people i have spoken to who get devoured by mossies are blood group O negative, wondered if that was there favourite tipple, would be interested to hear any other tales ???
Don't think I'm -O, but I get eaten alive...but apparantly after a few years of it, you'll get immune to the bites....I'm still waiting....
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

daisydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Don't think I'm -O, but I get eaten alive...but apparantly after a few years of it, you'll get immune to the bites....I'm still waiting....

A few YEARS to get immune yikes. I took my friends dog out on a lovely mossie day in Ontario and ran all the way home with a swarm around me, least i'll get fit! You will have to come to my barbecue

I havent met a black fly yet ..can't wait!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:14 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

In Europe the mossies always go for the new holiday makers. They spot them a mile off then leave them alone after they,ve poisoned the bloodstream enough. Nothing like fresh blood.
We allways burn those citreous candles in the summer. Seems to help the little blighters see what they're doing
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:45 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisydoo

I get the same thing, and Im A+ (the only test I ever got an A+ in)
I think everyone gets bitten, but some people flare up more than others, so it seems like they are more attractive. Something to do with antibodies and all that. Coming from abroad means we didnt build up whatever it is as kids, so I end up covered in bumps (although its getting better with time), but my canadian wife barely registers the bites.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 28th 2005 at 1:21 am. Reason: veri badd spelink
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Do you have any experience of what you are talking about? Our device does make a noticable difference, and unless you are stupid enough to sit right next to it it does not work like an all you can eat buffet!.

Last i heard there were no mossies west of the rockies. Do not use any of these devices in an enclosed space, they emit CO2 or CO, neither of which will do you any good in an enclosed space!

Yes, they attract the mossies in there range (which is as Bob says a lot less then advertised), how else are they going to kill them?. Dont stand right next to the damn thing ,thats why being able to put it away from the house is a necessity...the power cord for the mosquito magnet makes this difficult, thats why I chose the skeeter vac, it makes its own power with a thhermoelectric generator. Cant speak for the other brands, but our yard is not as plagued as it used to be. Not 100% effective, but perhaps 50% better.

The thing to remember is that any mossies you can kill early in the season are not going to be able to breed, and their offspring will not exist to breed etc etc, so the trick is to get them early in order to benefit later on.
I tend to agree with what you are saying as my boss has one that they installed last year and what a difference!
i can actually sit in the back yard now. The little suckers love me and i am a mosi magnet myself. Drives me crazy. I agree that the positioning of the machine is a very important factor as they have positioned it away from the deck and childrens play area and i have emptied it a few times.Yukk! But i laugh at the little dead suckers and thank my lucky stars that they did not get me first.

One more question!
Does any product work at all on the skin?
I have doubled the industries takings on the ammount of product i have tried. I wont let them win as i love the summer time.
I did hear that the Avon Original SSS(skin so soft) may work! Probably just another gimmick.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:12 am
BE Enthusiast

babyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of lightbabyblue is a glorious beacon of light

don't you just love the sound of the mosi lamps. BIZZZZZZZZZZZZZ..... "I AM GONNA GET YOU FOR THAT,I AM SENDING THE REINFORCMENTS SQUAD".

You hear one pop and 6000 appear from nowhere!

PS. I am A+ too so that has blown that theory! sorry...

Maybe the answer is to lock yourself in a room infested with the blighters and get bit to death. Maybe the immune system will kick in! Can't you tell i am one of the mosi magnets? The boyfriend just laughs as they spit his blood out and jump over to me.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by babyblue
One more question!
Does any product work at all on the skin?
The only thing that does anything for me is DEET. OFF Skintastic for "regular" activites, Deep Woods OFF for sweating away in the woods on my bike. Dont get it on your plastic sunglass lenses though
Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by iaink
The only thing that does anything for me is DEET. OFF Skintastic for "regular" activites, Deep Woods OFF for sweating away in the woods on my bike. Dont get it on your plastic sunglass lenses though
With that stuff, it's best to spray your hands and then rub it into your arms and all that, won't knacker your clothes as much either, and then wash hands...
Old Apr 29th 2005, 6:22 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

http://insect-repellent.net/Deet-Permethrin/others.htm

http://insect-repellent.net/Deet-Permethrin/
Old Apr 29th 2005, 9:59 am
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

I am surprised we dont have any Winnipeggers contributing to this thread- or are they too busy manning their Rapier missile batteries!!

Our friends mentioned 'fogging', the city, if you choose to live rurally, you have to sort yourself out against them.

Darren