Mortgages

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mortgages

So we've started looking at houses. Think it will help me settle a bit more (although doing pretty nicely so far) and also don't want to pay someone else's mortgage.

So the husband earns a good wage, and the bank will lend us money but we don't want to go up to what they say we can borrow. Those with mortgages, how did you calculate it? Two times salary, three times, a percentage of monthly income. We've looked at prices and exchange rated them, and they would be very comfortable UK terms but not sure that's a sensible way of looking at it. Finding the Ontario housing market a bit of a minefield.

Any perspectives would be good, running out of rental time....

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 2nd 2014 at 8:47 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:14 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mortgages

Originally Posted by Tirytory
So we've started looking at houses. Think it will help me settle a bit more (although doing pretty nicely so far) and also don't want to pay someone else's mortgage.

So the husband earns a good wage, and the bank will lend us money but we don't want to go up to what they say we can borrow. Those with mortgages, how did you calculate it? Two times salary, three times, a percentage of monthly income. We've looked at prices and exchange rated the, and they would be very comfortable UK terms but not sure that's a sensible way of looking at it. Finding the Ontario housing market a bit of a minefield.

Any perspectives would be good, running out of rental time....
Are you staying forever then? It costs a fair but to sell a house here.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We stayed considerably under our limit too. I would start by looking at what sort of house you want, and where. See how much it will cost you per month. Are you financially comfortable at the level you pay out now for rent etc? Then go by that, remembering to take into account taxes, insurance and some savings for maintaining your home. If you think you can afford a little more, go up, if not, go down
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:30 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

We went to the bank to get a preapproval... the bank told us what we would be approved for, and we just laughed. Yes, technically we could make the payment, but we'd be eating ramen noodles and sleeping in a cardboard box in an empty bedroom.

We used an online mortgage calculator (every bank has one) to get an idea of the biweekly payment. Then we looked at the net amount that hits the bank account every two weeks, and calculated out from there.

Income: x
Mortgage: y
Other deductions (taxes, mobile phone, etc etc etc etc)
Groceries: [estimate]
General spending: z
Savings: a
Car (payments, gas, insurance, etc): b

And then just made sure that it all looked sensible. We just worked through it that way playing with numbers and comparing some of our actuals. There's a ton to make sure to account for, too - car insurance, mortgage insurance, house insurance, property taxes, utility bills, cable/phone/internet...

Ah the fun of being an adult.

But that was how we approached it. A lot of it depends on what kind of lifestyle you're living and not just "x times salary". Did you buy your car, or are you making payments? Are you saving up for travel? Do you have children? Do you want to have children? Will you have to furnish your house? And so on and so on and so on.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:46 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

If you're currently renting and are comfortable with the monthly outgoings for that, then why not use that as the basis for a total housing outgoing (mortgage payment, plus property tax, plus allowance for maintenance, plus whatever utilities are currently included in your rental) you're happy with, and go from there - effectively, subtract all the non-mortgage housing expenses and then use the bank's mortgage calculator in reverse.

I don't think it's any longer as simply as a salary multiple calculation. The bank's idea of affordability may not be the same as your idea of a sensible figure. Don't forget, too, that unless you have a reasonable deposit you will be stung for CMHC insurance, etc.

Just to add another layer of confusion, there are tricks you can play with the repayment structure as well - the RBC do a thing they call "accelerated bi-weekly payment, but I'm sure other banks have similar systems... the bank calculates a repayment based on twice-monthly payments (i.e. 24 per year), but that's a bit awkward if the money's coming into the account from an employer on a 2-weekly cycle, so it makes sense to pay 26 times a year instead. That can help to reduce the effective amortization period by a surprising margin, without making a noticeable difference to your bank account
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:49 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Are you staying forever then? It costs a fair but to sell a house here.
Ha, maybe not forever, but probably for a good few yrs. Accepted the work situation- started the nurse stuff, but will prob look around for something else. Everybody else is happy. I'll get there as long as I keep busy.

Realtors fees seem to make for high house prices as I can see...
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:52 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
If you're currently renting and are comfortable with the monthly outgoings for that, then why not use that as the basis for a total housing outgoing (mortgage payment, plus property tax, plus allowance for maintenance, plus whatever utilities are currently included in your rental) you're happy with, and go from there - effectively, subtract all the non-mortgage housing expenses and then use the bank's mortgage calculator in reverse.

I don't think it's any longer as simply as a salary multiple calculation. The bank's idea of affordability may not be the same as your idea of a sensible figure. Don't forget, too, that unless you have a reasonable deposit you will be stung for CMHC insurance, etc.

Just to add another layer of confusion, there are tricks you can play with the repayment structure as well - the RBC do a thing they call "accelerated bi-weekly payment, but I'm sure other banks have similar systems... the bank calculates a repayment based on twice-monthly payments (i.e. 24 per year), but that's a bit awkward if the money's coming into the account from an employer on a 2-weekly cycle, so it makes sense to pay 26 times a year instead. That can help to reduce the effective amortization period by a surprising margin, without making a noticeable difference to your bank account
Paid monthly so that's not an option. Have the required deposit to avoid CHMC insurance. We'll prob be slightly over our rent, but I think we're paying under market value for our rental currently.

Edited to add I guess we could still do that accelerated payment thing, just need to be disciplined..

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 2nd 2014 at 8:57 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 8:53 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Ha, maybe not forever, but probably for a good few yrs. Accepted the work situation- started the nurse stuff, but will prob look around for something else. Everybody else is happy. I'll get there as long as I keep busy.

Realtors fees seem to make for high house prices as I can see...
You're in a pricey area. Move down here. We have a hospital your husband could work a few shifts at. Actually he could do that anyway!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:13 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

There is stuff here to read

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Housing-Canada

and

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:Mortgages-Canada

That will give you a useful primer.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You should talk to a broker rather than a bank. Ask about the newcomers to Canada mortgage, if you don't have a credit rating you can use alternative proof of credit worthiness.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/hoficl...C_Newcomer.pdf
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 9:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Paid monthly so that's not an option. Have the required deposit to avoid CHMC insurance. We'll prob be slightly over our rent, but I think we're paying under market value for our rental currently.

Edited to add I guess we could still do that accelerated payment thing, just need to be disciplined..
Aside from all the other good advice here's another bit: factor in the effect of future interest rate increases. I'd bet that this isn't going to happen soon, but I'd also hedge that bet by calculating whether I could easily (not happily) afford a doubling or more of the interest rate, say three years from now.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 10:40 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You should talk to a broker rather than a bank. Ask about the newcomers to Canada mortgage, if you don't have a credit rating you can use alternative proof of credit worthiness.

http://www.cmhc-schl.gc.ca/en/hoficl...C_Newcomer.pdf

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Aside from all the other good advice here's another bit: factor in the effect of future interest rate increases. I'd bet that this isn't going to happen soon, but I'd also hedge that bet by calculating whether I could easily (not happily) afford a doubling or more of the interest rate, say three years from now.
Thanks Siouxie and Novo, I think the interest rate is quite competitive. I get that Novo, but I guess by then you've paid three yrs worth of mortgage or hopefully overpay, plus a much more established business for the husband. The bank would allow us a lot lot more, but I remain risk averse. I always score very cautious on those financial risk assessments I've been given a few times by financial advisors..
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 10:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I get that Novo, but I guess by then you've paid three yrs worth of mortgage or hopefully overpay, plus a much more established business for the husband. The bank would allow us a lot lot more, but I remain risk averse. I always score very cautious on those financial risk assessments I've been given a few times by financial advisors..
Fair enough. I'm the same. But remember that in the first 3 years your payments are mainly interest (and property taxes); you've hardly paid back any principal by then.
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 11:18 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Fair enough. I'm the same. But remember that in the first 3 years your payments are mainly interest (and property taxes); you've hardly paid back any principal by then.
I know. Overpayment is key.... We did on our last property and would hope to move on after 3-5 yrs, it's part of our 3yr plan plan apparently. I didn't know we had one. My 3 yr plan is to go travelling
Old Apr 3rd 2014, 1:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to consider is that properties in rural or small town Ontario take a long time to sell. When looking at properties you can find out how long they've been on the market, do that, then consider that moving away from a purchased property will entail not only a bill for 6% of the price of the property but that many months, or years, of miserable polishing of the place in order that people can trudge around it in muddy boots.

Renting isn't always the wrong thing to do.