Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

more on England flag ..

more on England flag ..

Old May 26th 2006, 3:49 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: more on England flag ..

Originally Posted by iaink
Whatever I dont live in the UK anymore, remember!

And the difference in real terms between the BNP and NF is what exactly? Assholes the lot of them.
Three differences the BNP wears suits, actually manages to get elected to local councils (way too scary for me) and even more scarily counts 'non-whites' amongst its membership!!!
Old May 26th 2006, 4:16 am
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

She added: "The World Cup is perceived in this school as a learning opportunity to support the development of citizenship education."

Jeez, I'm glad I didn't go to that school.
Old May 26th 2006, 4:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tidge
She added: "The World Cup is perceived in this school as a learning opportunity to support the development of citizenship education."

Jeez, I'm glad I didn't go to that school.
Surely waving the flag the rest of the time would be supportive of citizenship education....although technically waving the English flag is not supportive of British Citizenship, if they are going to wave anything for that its should be the Union Jack!

Now I forget, was that the BNP fascists or the NF fascists chosen weapon

What a bunch of PC nonsense. If no one can wave the flag without being fingered as racist sympathisers, then of course the only people waving the flag will become racist sympathisers and it becomes a self fulfilling thing.

GOOD PEOPLE OF ENGLAND, RISE UP AND RECLAIM YOUR FLAG! keep it flying after the world cup and show you are proud of your nation and its heritage.

Or else abandon the sinking ship and come and live in Canada with the rest of us
Old May 26th 2006, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Surely waving the flag the rest of the time would be supportive of citizenship education....although technically waving the English flag is not supportive of British Citizenship, if they are going to wave anything for that its should be the Union Jack!

What a bunch of PC nonsense. If no one can wave the flag without being fingered as racist sympathisers, then of course the only people waving the flag will become racist sympathisers and it becomes a self fulfilling thing.

GOOD PEOPLE OF ENGLAND, RISE UP AND RECLAIM YOUR FLAG! keep it flying after the world cup and show you are proud of your nation and its heritage.

Or else abandon the sinking ship and come and live in Canada with the rest of us

All our local schools will be allowed to participate in the celebrating of the world cup,
Many schools have wall charts and decor ready and waiting if not already in place
I can honestly say here in west Yorkshire as many of you will be aware we have a very large Muslim population.
I work for a Major retail company that are daily selling many items displaying the cross of St George to customers of many nationalities.
no one in my opinion seems to be taking offence.

I think once again the press may have had a hand in the story of the school not allowing kids to participate.

Don't always believe what you read in the press.

There are so many flags flying in this area its heart lifting to see the pride that people have in flying the flag of St George, Muslim's alike, maybe they are only waiting for the world cup to start, but at the moment its bringing together a community
That community was ripped apart only last year, we had all four of the London bombers from my local west Yorkshire area.
I am proud to fly my flag of St George next to my Muslim neighbours flag of St George
It is uniting our country
That same country pride that the press are doing their best once again to demolish
Old May 27th 2006, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

AndreaandJoe is on a distinguished road

I really wish they would in, it's gone beyond a joke now. I'm from Boston UK and because of the Eastern Europeean taking offence over the St George flag as a racist symbol, our local council has forbid anyone to fly it. What gives?
Old May 27th 2006, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

I'm going to be controversial now, but one of the things I really can't wait to escape are the hoards of knuckle-dragging morons that fly England flags on the front of houses and out of cars! Thank god I'll be out of here before the world cup starts. I don't find flags offensive generally, but I really hate seeing my own country's flag anywhere and it always fills me with embarrasment rather than pride.
Old May 27th 2006, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
I'm going to be controversial now, but one of the things I really can't wait to escape are the hoards of knuckle-dragging morons that fly England flags on the front of houses and out of cars! Thank god I'll be out of here before the world cup starts. I don't find flags offensive generally, but I really hate seeing my own country's flag anywhere and it always fills me with embarrasment rather than pride.

Each to their own.
And thanks for that just reminded me to get plasters for my knuckles
Flying my flag loud and proud
Shelly
Old May 27th 2006, 11:44 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

This seems to be an english phenomenon ,why we get upset and uptight about flying our flag i dont know ,but it must be some in built switch in politicians and do gooders that makes us feel ashamed of it some how and the only reason i can see for that is that the english conquered a fair amount of the globe and the politicians still feel it isnt right to wave a flag that played a part in that conquering even though in most part it was part of the union flag when the conquering was happening .
The fact is the english were and still can be one of the most vicious people on the face of the planet when it comes down to instilling their will on the people of foregn nations ,we are extrmly controled and cold when seeking retribution and english people sre tenacious fighters .I believe with the increasing amount of immigrants coming in to the uk the politicians are worried about the rise of nationalism this is something that hasnt been seen in england for years and yet in scotland and wales nationalism and flag waving has always been there ,now we are doing it the do gooders are getting worried .
I was in the uk last year and i did find ordinary people really really pissed off with what seems to them unrestrained migrants setting up enclaves in just about every city in the uk .
Its a classic case of minoritys dictating to the majority its about time the english stood up and waved their flag and for those that dont like it who arnt english to go back to where they come from .After all i dont get upset when i see aussie flags flying everywhere and why should i its the country i live in .
Old May 27th 2006, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

This topic always ends up with people launching an ill thought out tirade against immigrants taking over and then trying desperately to clear themselves of being racist, while blatantly coming across as racists. The flag - to me - is now an expression of racism and aggressive nationalism - not cos of the politicians or the media, but becasue of the people i see flying it and talking about it. Maybe it's just because I live in the North East!
Old May 28th 2006, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

This topic always ends up with people launching an ill thought out tirade against immigrants taking over and then trying desperately to clear themselves of being racist, while blatantly coming across as racists. The flag - to me - is now an expression of racism and aggressive nationalism - not cos of the politicians or the media, but becasue of the people i see flying it and talking about it. Maybe it's just because I live in the North East!

I am neither Racist or aggressive,
I have never voted BNP I have never been in favour of the BNP or the National front i find them to be frightening and aggressive and I would stand up for anyone who i thought was being bullied or mistreated in my community no matter what their nationality,
My flag of St George Will continue to fly because I choose to fly it, as is my right.
Probably experiencing the national front in action in my community as a teenager of 16 - 17 as made me the tolerant 40 year old i am today,
Its very frightening to see little kids screaming and adult women trying to protect their children while out shopping on a Saturday afternoon, to see them huddled in shop corners because mindless individuals are shouting abuse in their faces, just because of their colour, it is an image that will never leave me.
So please don't tar all the flag fliers with the same brush for most of them are only supporting their national team as is their right, and the majority of them are honest hardworking British citizens.
If you take offence by seeing the cross of St George fly then that is your right. as is the rest of the nation to fly it.

Shelly
Old May 28th 2006, 4:37 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

In reference to Greenboy and Shelly, who seem to be singing the same song (but with a different tune).

Racism is not just an English trait (look at France and Germany).
Racism is not just a white trait (Take a walk round Burnley\Blackburn\Accrington)

The BNP is a pernicious organisation I agree but look at its history, look at its membership. THATS what should really worry you.
Old May 28th 2006, 6:29 am
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

The flag - to me - is now an expression of racism and aggressive nationalism

Come on England!

Old May 28th 2006, 7:59 am
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Story in out local paper a few months back that a house had a union jack flying from a window. The police turned up and asked the occupants to remove it as it was upsetting the new foreign family down the road
Old May 28th 2006, 3:51 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

With a statement like that you should join the dogooders ,i for one am pissed off pandering to the minoritys ,who by and large wouldnt show us the same respect in their country of origin as we afford them in the uk .I for one will always be proud of the st george flag and to be honest if its carried around by a few knuckle dragging idiots then so what ,people who have a resonable amount of intelligence can see through that crap ,but i will say this the average joe i met in the uk who voiced their opinion on immigrants seemed far removed from the knuckle draggers .
The fact is the english nation has always been a nation where immigrants have come and they have assimalated ,the newer arrivals dont want to assimilate they want to make it just like the place they left behind .
Old May 29th 2006, 12:52 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
The fact is the english nation has always been a nation where immigrants have come and they have assimalated ,the newer arrivals dont want to assimilate they want to make it just like the place they left behind .
I find it VERY ironic to read that statement on a canadian immigration related forum, writen by someone presumably hoping to become an immigrant.

Canadas "sucess" as an immigration destination is more often than not attributed to the fact that its more of a patchwork quilt with pockets of different origin, than a high pressure "melting pot".