Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

a month update

a month update

Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute
Default a month update

Hi All,
Just a quick update, after just over a month we have settled well, the kids love north van, and they are all set for school, we have found so far, costs to be mixed, a few things are dearer, but other are cheaper than UK, one thing we are amazed by is the quality of the fruit & veg, cheap and great, we are in all eating a healthier diet for slightly less than the uk, got two whole fresh salmon for £2.50, it amazed me.
On a downer, the car and motorcycle licences need renewing, a theory and a practical test.
Jobs are hit and miss here, I have been to four interviews so far, but they first and second interview here, so it is a long wait between them.
But if asked should we have moved to canada, we say we should have moved years ago..
good luck to all waiting and arrived.
a +ve for those with a long wait, is that there is small talk that the housing market here is slowing, following the trend of the american market.
cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 25th 2006, 11:26 pm
going back to UK Dec 1st

Location: Mississauga near Toronto - Moving To UK - Birmingham in 7 Weeks
Sunny Dulai has a brilliant futureSunny Dulai has a brilliant futureSunny Dulai has a brilliant futureSunny Dulai has a brilliant futureSunny Dulai has a brilliant futureSunny Dulai has a brilliant futureSunny Dulai has a brilliant future
Default Re: a month update

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi All,
Just a quick update, after just over a month we have settled well, the kids love north van, and they are all set for school, we have found so far, costs to be mixed, a few things are dearer, but other are cheaper than UK, one thing we are amazed by is the quality of the fruit & veg, cheap and great, we are in all eating a healthier diet for slightly less than the uk, got two whole fresh salmon for £2.50, it amazed me.
On a downer, the car and motorcycle licences need renewing, a theory and a practical test.
Jobs are hit and miss here, I have been to four interviews so far, but they first and second interview here, so it is a long wait between them.
But if asked should we have moved to canada, we say we should have moved years ago..
a +ve for those with a long wait, is that there is small talk that the housing market here is slowing, following the trend of the american market.
cheers
Jerry
well done - nice to see your're settled in - keep it up
Old Aug 26th 2006, 1:42 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see your settling well, keep it up and stay positive. Good luck with the job front.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 3:35 pm
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

Good to hear you are enjoying it! North Van is a lovely area.

Do you have to do the driving test every time you renew your license? Did you take your test round there? I'm going to be in North Van for 3 weeks before heading up to Whistler so I might look at taking my test there too.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H143
Good to hear you are enjoying it! North Van is a lovely area.

Do you have to do the driving test every time you renew your license? Did you take your test round there? I'm going to be in North Van for 3 weeks before heading up to Whistler so I might look at taking my test there too.
Hi
The test is only the first time you convert the licence to a BC licence, But the wait for driving tests here is horrendous, just tried to book and got the earliest date in North Van was nov 17th !!! burnaby was unlisted, but managed to get a cancellation, but it is in maple ridge, an hours drive, which will be fun because if I fail the test I can't drive the car back home, according to BC law !!!

Just to add a bit more pressure, I passed todays job interview !!!!!! and I am actually on the equivalent of £2/hr more than the UK, but I need to pass the driving test.
I am now enjoying some nice canadian wine.
Good luck to all
Cheers
Jerry
Old Aug 29th 2006, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
The test is only the first time you convert the licence to a BC licence, But the wait for driving tests here is horrendous, just tried to book and got the earliest date in North Van was nov 17th !!! burnaby was unlisted, but managed to get a cancellation, but it is in maple ridge, an hours drive, which will be fun because if I fail the test I can't drive the car back home, according to BC law !!!

Just to add a bit more pressure, I passed todays job interview !!!!!! and I am actually on the equivalent of £2/hr more than the UK, but I need to pass the driving test.
I am now enjoying some nice canadian wine.
Good luck to all
Cheers
Jerry
Great news with the job

On the licence front, would it not be worth travelling to Alberta to do a straight swap and then swap your Alberta one for a B.C one
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:16 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

Jerry, are you driving your own car on a UK one then? You could have tried Squamish for your test. Only 45 mins from North Van and quiet roads. Good luck with it anyway.

Yes I considered the Alberta thing! They might be wise to that but you never know. lol
Old Aug 29th 2006, 8:17 am
Just Joined

twoshoes is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,
cheers
Jerry
Hi Jerry,

Nice to hear you have settled in nicely. Where abouts in North Vancouver are you. Me and my husband have just got back from Vancouver yesterday and now feel gutted that we are not there ourselves yet. It is so depressing coming back to England. I have a job in Kerrisdale and went to look around the areas near to this. I was suprised to see how laid back things were in Canada compared to home. Went to Richmond, New Westminster, Burnaby, Lonsdale and Kerrisdale to look at areas. Travelled up to Whistler, Victoria and Sunshine Coast.
Like you we both commented on different prices of things and the quality of food,sooooooooo different to England. Just waiting for sale of house and british columbia nursing registration and we'll be there too.
sue
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

getoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond reputegetoutofbritainquick has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
cheers
Jerry
Congrats on the job. The same thing springs to mind. Did you tell the employer of you fail your test you cannot drive? :scared:

Paul