Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money from UK being TAXED

Money from UK being TAXED

Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of
Default Money from UK being TAXED

Hi

My house sale in the UK is almost complete, I'm living in Canada now.

RBC that I bank with say I may be TAXed then my money is trasnfered to my account.

Can they TAX me or is this just a way of trying to take money from me?

How can I get my money to Canada without losing some of it, the exchange rate is bad enough.

I'f I'm taxed this affects how much I can put down.

Anyone have an idea of how much the TAX maybe?

R
Old Feb 12th 2008, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money from UK being TAXED

This could be capital gains tax and you may be liable for part of the capital gain on your house if you have lived in canada for more than 1 year.

I have written a bit on this in the past and it may even be in the financial wiki

Gryphea
Old Feb 13th 2008, 12:46 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raymate
Hi

RBC that I bank with say I may be TAXed then my money is trasnfered to my account.

How can I get my money to Canada without losing some of it, the exchange rate is bad enough.

R
How long is it since you came to Canada? You are liable for tax on 1/2 the capital gain from the day you arrived in Canada to the day you sell your UK house. If is just a couple of months or so there is very likely no capital gain and therefore no tax.

Wiki here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_and_House_Sales

Last edited by JonboyE; Feb 13th 2008 at 12:51 am.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
How long is it since you came to Canada? You are liable for tax on 1/2 the capital gain from the day you arrived in Canada to the day you sell your UK house. If is just a couple of months or so there is very likely no capital gain and therefore no tax.

Wiki here http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_and_House_Sales
Daylight robbery.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Raymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud ofRaymate has much to be proud of

Around six weeks, going to read that page now
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Around six weeks ...
No worries then. Fair market value on the day you landed will be the same as the selling price. I wouldn't even bother to mention it on your tax return. The bank have no right to deduct any tax from these funds so if they do then scream blue murder.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 3:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by geedee
Daylight robbery.
Why?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 9:07 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

R

Hi
We bought just before Christmas, and we transferred our money straight to the solicitor by moneycorp. We also bank with RBC but bypassed them completely so they never knew. You can book an advanced rate well ahead which helps. I haven't had any snotty tax man letters yet (but then I haven't been there to open my mail yet!!)

Bob
Old Feb 14th 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your reply

This moneycorp sounds interesting, anyone else used them? what the webaddress?
Old Feb 14th 2008, 11:36 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

www.moneycorp.com

There are others that do it as well, hifx, and your own bank should, search the forums and Shop around for best deals. Check with your Canadian Lawyer as well.

Bob