British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Money Transfer companies (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/money-transfer-companies-938222/)

pip_is_fab Apr 20th 2021 8:24 pm

Money Transfer companies

Hi all,
Its been a quite some time since I posted, probably just as I moved here nearly 7 years ago now!

I moved money from Uk to Canada when we first moved via UK Forex, very easy and pain free.
I now need to make another transfer and just wondering what everyone’s preferred company is currently for this? I understand uk forex became OFX, still reliable to use?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Hurlabrick Apr 20th 2021 8:53 pm

Re: Money Transfer companies

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab (Post 12997505)
Hi all,
Its been a quite some time since I posted, probably just as I moved here nearly 7 years ago now!

I moved money from Uk to Canada when we first moved via UK Forex, very easy and pain free.
I now need to make another transfer and just wondering what everyone’s preferred company is currently for this? I understand uk forex became OFX, still reliable to use?

Thanks in advance everyone!

I am a fan of Wise (until recently, called TransferWise). Best rate and very modest tranaction fee. I have used them for all my large and modest transfers regularly for the last 3 or 4 years. Never a problem once.

BristolUK Apr 20th 2021 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12997515)
I am a fan of Wise (until recently, called TransferWise). Best rate and very modest tranaction fee. I have used them for all my large and modest transfers regularly for the last 3 or 4 years. Never a problem once.

Seconded.
They've recently added an extra security layer - although I have been able to ignore it when asked by clicking on the logo and it has bypassed it.
Which is weird. :lol:
However, my reason for posting is that it looks like it sends you a text code number (quite common) and that's no good for us folk without that facility.

But if you then click on a button that says you didn't receive it you then get the option of having the audio version so all's good for those of us with just a landline.

Hurlabrick Apr 20th 2021 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12997544)
Seconded.
They've recently added an extra security layer - although I have been able to ignore it when asked by clicking on the logo and it has bypassed it.
However, my reason for posting is that it looks like it sends you a text code number (quite common) and that's no good for us folk without that facility.

But if you then click on a button that says you didn't receive it you then get the option of having the audio version so all's good for those of us with just a landline.

Really?? Wierd, mine works as it has always done and I did a transfer yesterday.

BristolUK Apr 20th 2021 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick (Post 12997551)
Really?? Wierd, mine works as it has always done and I did a transfer yesterday.

Ha...it's changed again

I input my log in details and get this

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...a3d59b2dbb.png
If you click didn't receive there are now new options, including 'wait' :unsure:
The option I used before, clicking on a logo, isn't there now so it seems you have to meet the extra security layer in some way.

Siouxie Apr 21st 2021 1:09 am

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12997552)
Ha...it's changed again

I input my log in details and get this

If you click didn't receive there are now new options, including 'wait' :unsure:
The option I used before, clicking on a logo, isn't there now so it seems you have to meet the extra security layer in some way.

You may want to check out the 'logging in' section of : https://wise.com/help/topics/OQDKGx7...g-your-account

https://wise.com/help/articles/29321...p-2-step-login

https://wise.com/help/articles/29600...s-2-step-login

BristolUK Apr 21st 2021 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 12997596)
You may want to check out the 'logging in' section

Thanks, I had a look at those. It all suggests the choice is mine to go 2 step or not.

I didn't get a choice. I've been logging in one way for years and then last month the next screen said something like "we need to make sure it's you, we'll send a code by SMS" and only having a landline it concerned me. Luckily I bypassed it clicking the logo.

This month there was a slight change in that the logo wasn't clickable so I had to 'accept' the SMS. The next screen was like the one I posted and I was able to get in as per the previous post.

So I'm now getting in with 2 steps - or maybe 2 and a half after I say I didn't get the text ;) - but all indications on my log in are that the choice was removed.
"We need to make sure it's you" rather than "would you like additional security?" :unsure: I've done nothing to settings for this to happen.

Hurlabrick Apr 21st 2021 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12997687)
Thanks, I had a look at those. It all suggests the choice is mine to go 2 step or not.

I didn't get a choice. I've been logging in one way for years and then last month the next screen said something like "we need to make sure it's you, we'll send a code by SMS" and only having a landline it concerned me. Luckily I bypassed it clicking the logo.

This month there was a slight change in that the logo wasn't clickable so I had to 'accept' the SMS. The next screen was like the one I posted and I was able to get in as per the previous post.

So I'm now getting in with 2 steps - or maybe 2 and a half after I say I didn't get the text ;) - but all indications on my log in are that the choice was removed.
"We need to make sure it's you" rather than "would you like additional security?" :unsure: I've done nothing to settings for this to happen.

I got an email from them this morning saying they have implemented a two step login process, so this has literally all just happened. No sweat as I have a cell phone number.

beckiwoo Apr 21st 2021 2:11 pm

I’ve just started using Transferwise/wise for modest sums of money. No issues so far

scrubbedexpat091 Apr 21st 2021 3:11 pm

What is even worse is when you and a spouse have separate accounts but with the same bank, but the bank wont let you use the same phone number on both accounts for the 2 factor, I essentially can't access my account online anymore because of it.

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12997544)
Seconded.