Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money Transfer companies

Money Transfer companies

Old Apr 20th 2021, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

pip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nicepip_is_fab is just really nice
Default Money Transfer companies

Hi all,
Its been a quite some time since I posted, probably just as I moved here nearly 7 years ago now!

I moved money from Uk to Canada when we first moved via UK Forex, very easy and pain free.
I now need to make another transfer and just wondering what everyone’s preferred company is currently for this? I understand uk forex became OFX, still reliable to use?

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old Apr 20th 2021, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfer companies

Originally Posted by pip_is_fab
Hi all,
Its been a quite some time since I posted, probably just as I moved here nearly 7 years ago now!

I moved money from Uk to Canada when we first moved via UK Forex, very easy and pain free.
I now need to make another transfer and just wondering what everyone’s preferred company is currently for this? I understand uk forex became OFX, still reliable to use?

Thanks in advance everyone!
I am a fan of Wise (until recently, called TransferWise). Best rate and very modest tranaction fee. I have used them for all my large and modest transfers regularly for the last 3 or 4 years. Never a problem once.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 10:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I am a fan of Wise (until recently, called TransferWise). Best rate and very modest tranaction fee. I have used them for all my large and modest transfers regularly for the last 3 or 4 years. Never a problem once.
Seconded.
They've recently added an extra security layer - although I have been able to ignore it when asked by clicking on the logo and it has bypassed it.
Which is weird.
However, my reason for posting is that it looks like it sends you a text code number (quite common) and that's no good for us folk without that facility.

But if you then click on a button that says you didn't receive it you then get the option of having the audio version so all's good for those of us with just a landline.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Seconded.
They've recently added an extra security layer - although I have been able to ignore it when asked by clicking on the logo and it has bypassed it.
Which is weird.
However, my reason for posting is that it looks like it sends you a text code number (quite common) and that's no good for us folk without that facility.

But if you then click on a button that says you didn't receive it you then get the option of having the audio version so all's good for those of us with just a landline.
Really?? Wierd, mine works as it has always done and I did a transfer yesterday.
Old Apr 20th 2021, 10:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Really?? Wierd, mine works as it has always done and I did a transfer yesterday.
Ha...it's changed again

I input my log in details and get this

If you click didn't receive there are now new options, including 'wait'
The option I used before, clicking on a logo, isn't there now so it seems you have to meet the extra security layer in some way.

Old Apr 21st 2021, 1:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ha...it's changed again

I input my log in details and get this

If you click didn't receive there are now new options, including 'wait'
The option I used before, clicking on a logo, isn't there now so it seems you have to meet the extra security layer in some way.
You may want to check out the 'logging in' section of : https://wise.com/help/topics/OQDKGx7...g-your-account

https://wise.com/help/articles/29321...p-2-step-login

https://wise.com/help/articles/29600...s-2-step-login

Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:02 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You may want to check out the 'logging in' section
Thanks, I had a look at those. It all suggests the choice is mine to go 2 step or not.

I didn't get a choice. I've been logging in one way for years and then last month the next screen said something like "we need to make sure it's you, we'll send a code by SMS" and only having a landline it concerned me. Luckily I bypassed it clicking the logo.

This month there was a slight change in that the logo wasn't clickable so I had to 'accept' the SMS. The next screen was like the one I posted and I was able to get in as per the previous post.

So I'm now getting in with 2 steps - or maybe 2 and a half after I say I didn't get the text - but all indications on my log in are that the choice was removed.
"We need to make sure it's you" rather than "would you like additional security?" I've done nothing to settings for this to happen.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 12:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, I had a look at those. It all suggests the choice is mine to go 2 step or not.

I didn't get a choice. I've been logging in one way for years and then last month the next screen said something like "we need to make sure it's you, we'll send a code by SMS" and only having a landline it concerned me. Luckily I bypassed it clicking the logo.

This month there was a slight change in that the logo wasn't clickable so I had to 'accept' the SMS. The next screen was like the one I posted and I was able to get in as per the previous post.

So I'm now getting in with 2 steps - or maybe 2 and a half after I say I didn't get the text - but all indications on my log in are that the choice was removed.
"We need to make sure it's you" rather than "would you like additional security?" I've done nothing to settings for this to happen.
I got an email from them this morning saying they have implemented a two step login process, so this has literally all just happened. No sweat as I have a cell phone number.
Old Apr 21st 2021, 2:11 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve just started using Transferwise/wise for modest sums of money. No issues so far

Old Apr 21st 2021, 3:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

What is even worse is when you and a spouse have separate accounts but with the same bank, but the bank wont let you use the same phone number on both accounts for the 2 factor, I essentially can't access my account online anymore because of it.

Seconded.
Which is weird.