Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money Transfer

Money Transfer

Old May 19th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Money Transfer

i know there are numerous topics on transferring cash, but i developed a headache looking through every thread!
i just require a simple (ish) answer.

when i move to Canada, we will have a lump sum of possibly £10-15 thousand pounds. this is the only transaction that we will have for a while, until we sell our house in 2 years time, when we wil have another £30-40k to transfer.

what is the best way to transfer this to Canadian dollars?

is it via my bank, in to an international bankers draft, exchange to cash and take it out there etc etc

thanks..

Paul
Old May 19th 2009, 9:04 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Transfer

Originally Posted by Paul5455
i know there are numerous topics on transferring cash, but i developed a headache looking through every thread!
i just require a simple (ish) answer.

when i move to Canada, we will have a lump sum of possibly £10-15 thousand pounds. this is the only transaction that we will have for a while, until we sell our house in 2 years time, when we wil have another £30-40k to transfer.

what is the best way to transfer this to Canadian dollars?

is it via my bank, in to an international bankers draft, exchange to cash and take it out there etc etc

thanks..

Paul
Best rate is likely to be with an FX broker such as Customs House, Money Corp or HiFX. Very easy to use - take a look at their websites.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:06 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we did the same and a currency brokerage is your best bet. Money in your account within 24 hours and at a decent rate.
Old May 19th 2009, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

We have had good experiences with both Moneycorp and HIFX
Old May 19th 2009, 9:23 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto, for similar sum, we used HIFX, really quick and easy
Old May 19th 2009, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Getting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond reputeGetting There has a reputation beyond repute

We've used Halo Financial a few times. Never had any problems to date.

Kind regards,

Eamonn & Janet.
Old May 19th 2009, 10:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

In all the threads I've seen like this I've never actually seen a comparison with doing it through existing bank accounts.

Has anyone done both types and with similar sized transfers at a time when exchange rates were fairly stable so an accurate comparison could be made?

Maybe there's a rule of thumb that suggests a transfer of a certain amount is cheaper with one particular method whereasd it's the reverse with a different sum?
Old May 19th 2009, 11:11 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
In all the threads I've seen like this I've never actually seen a comparison with doing it through existing bank accounts.

Has anyone done both types and with similar sized transfers at a time when exchange rates were fairly stable so an accurate comparison could be made?

Maybe there's a rule of thumb that suggests a transfer of a certain amount is cheaper with one particular method whereasd it's the reverse with a different sum?
At my bank here in Canada (TD) anything over CAD10,000 and they'll phone their special FX department to get a better rate, which I imagine is about the same as through an FX broker. However, the real advantage of an FX broker is that you can set a specific target rate to try and catch a peak in the market, plus put in stop losses to automatically trade if the rate slips below a certain level. At a bank you just get a quote and that's that - they just don't seem to offer the same kind of service.

I've made several conversions of GBP to CAD, and also USD to CAD and each time local bank quotes would have resulted in less than what I achieved through the brokers. All amounts were between CAD10,000 to 40,000.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paul5455 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: Money Transfer

thanks for the replies.
HIFX seem to have the best rates at the moment, so will look again when the time comes!
Old May 22nd 2009, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Windsor2 will become famous soon enoughWindsor2 will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Money Transfer

Bristol UK

People often want to know how they can compare the banks and the currency brokers.

For anyone intersted visit Moneysavingexpert.com run by Martin Lewis. No doubt you've seen him on TV being interviewed about how to save money on all aspects of personal finance.

The link below will take you to his website where he examines the whole foreign exchange market and tells what you should be aware of and who the main players are regardless of the amount you're sending.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...rency-exchange

Hopefully this is useful.

Best Regards

Mark Bodega
Director - HiFX

Last edited by Windsor2; May 22nd 2009 at 5:11 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old May 22nd 2009, 6:01 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Windsor2...I shall look.