Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

money transfer

money transfer

Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future
Default money transfer

hi all, which way is the better to send my OH a little bit of money..i was either going to go into a bank here in the UK and get a cheque in dollars and send it by post..or is there a cheaper easier way for me to send this money over.
thanks all...PS he does already have a basic bank account but nothing yet that involves creadit cards etc
Old Dec 16th 2007, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: money transfer

Does he have a UK bank card? If so, just use it in an ATM in Canada... the fees should be substantially less than sending a Candian dollar check from a UK bank to Canada.

(I assume by 'little bit' you're talking hundreds of dollars and not thousands)
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:18 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

You can send a cheque drawn on a UK bank and it can be paid into a Canadian account. The only issue might be if there is a holding period, ours does not, but some do.
Old Dec 16th 2007, 11:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
You can send a cheque drawn on a UK bank and it can be paid into a Canadian account. The only issue might be if there is a holding period, ours does not, but some do.
If I give my daughter a US cheque to put into her RBC account it takes about 3 weeks to clear.

There will be a charge if you use a bank to bank electronic transfer. Best bet is travellers cheques. My MIL sends my daughter about $100 in cash through the mail with her Christmas card.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Robbie500 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: money transfer

If your OH has a UK bank account and a Canadian Bank account; then I suggest he set a up an excahnge account with www.xe.com. Once this has been set up he can send money from the UK to Canada or vice versa and it saves a lot of money on the excahnge rate. I have done this for about 2 years;since we have been in Canada; its all done electronically and once you do the deal it takes about 3 to 4 days to have the money in your account. It took about 3 days to set up the account with the. They have always been helpful and the process is wasy to use and can be used 24/7 with no phone calls.

You can then put money in his UK account and he can send it to Canada.

Rob.