Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money from selling home

Money from selling home

Old Apr 13th 2019, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Money from selling home

Hi all

As we've put our house in the UK on the market - we are going to have a chunk of cash brought over to buy a new property.

Can anyone speak to the tax implications in Canada?

Has anyone sold a property before moving and then transferred the money to Canada? What did the process look like for you?

Old Apr 13th 2019, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Bow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond reputeBow21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money from selling home

I too am in this situation we have just sold our home and are about 5 weeks into the legal process with the solicitors. We too will have a large chunk of money for new home and stuff in Canada. i will keep my U.K. bank account open as we have a rental property here so will still need that but may leave house money in there and transfer it which if that’s the best way.
I remember when I moved to Canada with my parents about 14 years ago they took a bankers draft I think.
Old Apr 13th 2019, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FARAH1305
Hi all

As we've put our house in the UK on the market - we are going to have a chunk of cash brought over to buy a new property.

Can anyone speak to the tax implications in Canada?

Has anyone sold a property before moving and then transferred the money to Canada? What did the process look like for you?
Came to Canada as settler in Nov 2017, but only just managed to sell the UK house in Feb 2019, now transferring money over. As it was to CRA an overseas asset, we have declared it to them on form T1135 at the value in CAD as at Nov 2017. We had an official valuation but sold for less than the value, so no capital gains as far as Canada is concerned. No tax to pay in UK as we are now non tax payers.

Transferring the proceeds across GBP50k at a time from our UK bank account to our Canadian one using Transferwise
Old Apr 13th 2019, 2:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

If it's just a pile of money then there are no tax implications but you should keep some documentation as to the source of the funds so that, if for example, you are charged with money laundering over an unrelated matter, you can keep the house proceeds out of that. If the house is being sold after you move then you need a valuation at the time of moving so as to establish a base line for capital gains tax.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 3:15 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

I did this last year and can catagorically state that if it is your primary residence that you sell, and you sold it for the purposes of buying another primary residence (i.e. a house to live in) then there are no tax implications. If you have multiple properties it might be more complicated but if you can prove it was your primary residence where you lived I believe that too is ok.
Selling where you live to move house and buy another is not capital gains. Even if you made money on the it from the time you bought it to the time you sold it. It only matters if its an 'investment' property, not your home.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 6:26 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phaedru5
I did this last year and can catagorically state that if it is your primary residence that you sell, and you sold it for the purposes of buying another primary residence (i.e. a house to live in) then there are no tax implications. If you have multiple properties it might be more complicated but if you can prove it was your primary residence where you lived I believe that too is ok.
Selling where you live to move house and buy another is not capital gains. Even if you made money on the it from the time you bought it to the time you sold it. It only matters if its an 'investment' property, not your home.

Ummm.. you might want to check that... that may apply to the UK, not necessarily in Canada!

For Canada tax purposes there is 'deemed disposition' when you become a Permanent Resident / Resident for tax purposes. So you are deemed to have sold your property overseas on the date that you become a PR in effect and repurchased it at fair market value - any gain in the value of the property between that date and when the property is actually sold - or the money transferred, as I understand it, can be liable for taxes.

Not to be confused with the zero Capital Gains Tax on selling a former family home and purchasing another - that's a different thing

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...2016.html#P111

https://wolterskluwer.ca/blog/moving...-consequences/

This might be of use: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_a...e_Sales-Canada
Canadian Tax

On the day you arrive as a new resident all your assets are deemed (the CRA loves this word) to be sold and repurchased at their fair market values. This means your old house back in the UK will be assumed to have a cost of whatever it could have been sold for in the open market on that day. If you subsequently sell it then you will have a Canadian capital gain or loss of the difference between the actual sale proceeds and the deemed cost on the date of your arrival.

Once you are tax resident in Canada you are taxable on your worldwide income. Any capital gain from the day you arrive in Canada to the day you sell the property, and any rental income on the UK property, is taxable in Canada.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 16th 2019 at 6:32 am.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 7:02 am
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Ummm.. you might want to check that... that may apply to the UK, not necessarily in Canada!

For Canada tax purposes there is 'deemed disposition' when you become a Permanent Resident / Resident for tax purposes. So you are deemed to have sold your property overseas on the date that you become a PR in effect and repurchased it at fair market value - any gain in the value of the property between that date and when the property is actually sold - or the money transferred, as I understand it, can be liable for taxes.

Not to be confused with the zero Capital Gains Tax on selling a former family home and purchasing another - that's a different thing

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-age...2016.html#P111

https://wolterskluwer.ca/blog/moving...-consequences/

This might be of use: https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Tax_a...e_Sales-Canada
Canadian Tax

On the day you arrive as a new resident all your assets are deemed (the CRA loves this word) to be sold and repurchased at their fair market values. This means your old house back in the UK will be assumed to have a cost of whatever it could have been sold for in the open market on that day. If you subsequently sell it then you will have a Canadian capital gain or loss of the difference between the actual sale proceeds and the deemed cost on the date of your arrival.

Once you are tax resident in Canada you are taxable on your worldwide income. Any capital gain from the day you arrive in Canada to the day you sell the property, and any rental income on the UK property, is taxable in Canada.
Ah, our house was on the market for sale (and with an accepted offer) on the day we arrived so the proven fair market value and the price it later sold for were the same, hence any gains or loss being negated. Our accountant (in Canada) did mention that term 'deemed disposition' but brushed it off as no concern, i didnt really question it but that makes sense now, and why it didnt apply to us.
Old Apr 16th 2019, 8:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
It's not the case in the UK either. Even if it was once a 'main home', there can be CGT due depending on circumstances.
Old Apr 20th 2019, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

FARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond reputeFARAH1305 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Came to Canada as settler in Nov 2017, but only just managed to sell the UK house in Feb 2019, now transferring money over. As it was to CRA an overseas asset, we have declared it to them on form T1135 at the value in CAD as at Nov 2017. We had an official valuation but sold for less than the value, so no capital gains as far as Canada is concerned. No tax to pay in UK as we are now non tax payers.

Transferring the proceeds across GBP50k at a time from our UK bank account to our Canadian one using Transferwise
Can I ask why you're transferring a bit at a time? Is it better exchange or cheaper fees?