Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Money Question and social security number

Money Question and social security number

Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:27 am
Just Joined

uknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the rough
Default Money Question and social security number

Hi All

We have had an offer for our house and as things are so very painfully slow here in NZ we are considering it but i am not sure if i will lose out in Tax issues. We know the people so it is safe to do this but they have offered us 50% now and pay the other 50% in 18 months time. If we move now and rent in Canada untill we get it all will we have to pay tax on the additional 50%?

Really appreciate any help here.

Also can you apply for your social security number before you land? i couod not find anything on it in the Wiki.

Thanks again
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Money Question and social security number

This should explain SIN http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/sc/sin/
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:56 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Why would you need your SIN before you land? It takes 5 minutes to obtain, just turn up at the relevant office, service ontario in my case. You walk away with the number printed out.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:10 am
Just Joined

uknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the roughuknzbc is a jewel in the rough

Thanks Silver dragon that is the SIN sorted grateful for your time.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JB0591
Why would you need your SIN before you land? It takes 5 minutes to obtain, just turn up at the relevant office, service ontario in my case. You walk away with the number printed out.
We were just trying to achieve what we could before we land if possible but we know better now thanks
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:27 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uknzbc
Hi All

We have had an offer for our house and as things are so very painfully slow here in NZ we are considering it but i am not sure if i will lose out in Tax issues. We know the people so it is safe to do this but they have offered us 50% now and pay the other 50% in 18 months time. If we move now and rent in Canada untill we get it all will we have to pay tax on the additional 50%?

Really appreciate any help here.

Also can you apply for your social security number before you land? i couod not find anything on it in the Wiki.

Thanks again
Repayment of a debt incurred prior to becoming a tax resident would not be taxable. I would get a lawyer to do up a contract of sale with payment dates, amounts and what happens if they cannot or do not pay. I would not rely on knowing people, being friends, or even family, the money is not safe until it is in your pocket.

What would be taxable is any increase in value of the house or any interest you recieve.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 5:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Repayment of a debt incurred prior to becoming a tax resident would not be taxable. I would get a lawyer to do up a contract of sale with payment dates, amounts and what happens if they cannot or do not pay. I would not rely on knowing people, being friends, or even family, the money is not safe until it is in your pocket.

What would be taxable is any increase in value of the house or any interest you recieve.
Too true. I would have that one sewn up tighter than a gnat's arse. You are effectively giving these people a mortgage so you need a very clear and explicit mortgage agreement that says $x paid in full on a certain date(s) or the house title reverts back to you.

As Aviator says, any interest you earn after you move to Canada is taxable here, repayment of the mortgage principal is not.