Money

Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:00 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, It does depends on where you live and what you want out of life.

But in fairness, Britain still offers more safety nets for people living on the poverty line, although mainly of the traditional benefits such as NHS dental treatment have been eroded by successive Governments.

Like most things, if life isn't want you want it to be, if you can, change it! I don't want to simplify matters, but I get the impression that its easily to fall into the trap of being over optimistic about what to expect in Canada. One can build up hopes and ideals, only to have them destroyed when the career they were expecting doesn't materialise.

Nothing is more painful then realising that such a life changing decision was a terrible mistake, particularly if you have burnt your bridges in the attempt.

Maybe the Immigration Forms should carry a Government warning that your skills and qualifications does not guarantee the job or career that you seek.

Ps Does the canadian Government not offer free immunisation treatments to children? I find that hard very surprising.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

seamonsta is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sukhi
Agreed, It does depends on where you live and what you want out of life.

But in fairness, Britain still offers more safety nets for people living on the poverty line, although mainly of the traditional benefits such as NHS dental treatment have been eroded by successive Governments.

Like most things, if life isn't want you want it to be, if you can, change it! I don't want to simplify matters, but I get the impression that its easily to fall into the trap of being over optimistic about what to expect in Canada. One can build up hopes and ideals, only to have them destroyed when the career they were expecting doesn't materialise.

Nothing is more painful then realising that such a life changing decision was a terrible mistake, particularly if you have burnt your bridges in the attempt.

Maybe the Immigration Forms should carry a Government warning that your skills and qualifications does not guarantee the job or career that you seek.

Ps Does the canadian Government not offer free immunisation treatments to children? I find that hard very surprising.
I'm not sure I agree with that. The unemployment benefit in Britain is about £45 a week. That's a pretty breadline, life support existance! Out of that you still have to pay bills etc. I rather think many of these posts come from people who have no concept of poverty in Britain. They probably come from feather-nested backgrounds and have always had cosy jobs. Going to Canada they've hit the rocks and realised what life is like for millions in Britain as well as Canada. Canada isn't all rosy, no country in the world is. However some of the doom-merchants on here I feel are pushing the boundaries of the hysterical.
For what it's worth, I come from a poor background and YES the UK does have food kitchens. The community centre regularly used to hand out bread/butter to impoverished residents.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 1:06 pm

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by seamonsta
I'm not sure I agree with that. The unemployment benefit in Britain is about £45 a week. That's a pretty breadline, life support existance! Out of that you still have to pay bills etc. I rather think many of these posts come from people who have no concept of poverty in Britain. They probably come from feather-nested backgrounds and have always had cosy jobs. Going to Canada they've hit the rocks and realised what life is like for millions in Britain as well as Canada. Canada isn't all rosy, no country in the world is. However some of the doom-merchants on here I feel are pushing the boundaries of the hysterical.
For what it's worth, I come from a poor background and YES the UK does have food kitchens. The community centre regularly used to hand out bread/butter to impoverished residents.

Yes, but £45 is the Unemployment benefit for a single person living alone and i still stand by what I say,

See http://www.askcab.co.uk/money_site/mBENEFITS.asp

To see how many different benefits are available. Does Canada offer the same range?

Incidently I know you didn't mean me, but I don't come from a feather lined background, and my family struggled for a long time, but my parents wanted all their children to work hard and qualify, You are what you are, the opportunities are there, if you are prepared to snatch them.

If however you are prepared to accept your lot because you come from a poor background, but carp on about how the rich live, then thats your hard luck. I have seen people from all corners of the world come to the UK, and without the benefits of qualifications or even a rudimentary grasp of English have prospered because they know what true poverty is from their backgrounds.

Cruel but thats the way life is, its up to you to make the best out of life, we go through life making decisions. Good or bad, our current state owes itself to these earlier decisions, and most times no one else is to blame for that.

Quote: Give me a fish, and I will eat for a day, but teach me how to fish and you feed me for life
Old Mar 5th 2004, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, but £45 is the Unemployment benefit for a single person living alone and i still stand by what I say,

See http://www.askcab.co.uk/money_site/mBENEFITS.asp

To see how many different benefits are available. Does Canada offer the same range?

Incidently I know you didn't mean me, but I don't come from a feather lined background, and my family struggled for a long time, but my parents wanted all their children to work hard and qualify, You are what you are, the opportunities are there, if you are prepared to snatch them.

If however you are prepared to accept your lot because you come from a poor background, but carp on about how the rich live, then thats your hard luck. I have seen people from all corners of the world come to the UK, and without the benefits of qualifications or even a rudimentary grasp of English have prospered because they know what true poverty is from their backgrounds.

Cruel but thats the way life is, its up to you to make the best out of life, we go through life making decisions. Good or bad, our current state owes itself to these earlier decisions, and most times no one else is to blame for that.

Quote: Give me a fish, and I will eat for a day, but teach me how to fish and you feed me for life
Well, I'll drink to that! That's exactly my philosophy! There are no free rides in life. However I wouldn't be so quick to just accuse the poor of this. There are many, many people from cushy middle class backgrounds who think the world owes them a living. They seem to think they have a right to a good standard of living. I would say not.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 1:45 pm

Yup, I agree with what you said, I think we have resolved the differences!

Mines a guiness!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Yup, I agree with what you said, I think we have resolved the differences!

Mines a guiness!
Mines a pint of Boddingtons! It's proper bo I tell thee!