Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile phone plan for student

Mobile phone plan for student

Old May 22nd 2019, 5:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Mobile phone plan for student

I live in the US. My daughter is going to be attending the University of Toronto in September. Using her US phone in Canada isn't economically viable - it would cost US$150 a month on top of the US charges. I have a spare unlocked iPhone 6s that she could use while in Canada and am wondering what the best option would be for a mobile phone plan for her while at uni. Thanks in advance.
Old May 22nd 2019, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile phone plan for student

If she doesn't have Canadian credit she may struggle to get a contract (I had to bootstrap my way into one by using a bank virtual visa as though it were a credit card because they couldn't set up the payments to come out of my account the way they would now I have a history).

Depending how much she plans on using it, she may find that a prepaid monthly plan is better - eg Koodo, $15/month prepaid for the line, then purchase individual boosters for talk time, data, which last until she's drained them, then she buys more.
Old May 22nd 2019, 6:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

We have Fido $65/month unlimited calls within Canada and texting worldwide and 10gb data.

We have used freedom in the past as well,coverage isn't as good though as the big guys (Telus/Koodoo, Bell/Virgin, Rogers/Fido.)

Without credit she may need to pay a deposit to secure service.
Old May 22nd 2019, 3:19 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Freedom - they have an add-on (included in some plans) for international texts / picture texts / 5c a minute calls. They offer a bring your own phone option as well as huge data plans at reasonable prices. I've been with them for 3 years and haven't had any issue connecting, anywhere - they use the big guys networks for a lot of 'out of the way' places. They have LTE in the GTA now too, super fast. https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/n...erage/coverage
https://www.freedommobile.ca/en-CA/p...ice-to-freedom
Old May 22nd 2019, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Koodo prepay. No contract and I pay $15/month. That includes unlimited texting. Then I buy booster packs for data and minutes. 1G of data is $30. 500 talk minutes is $25. Minutes and data don't expire so they cna carry over for as long as it takes to use them up. I'm not a big data user so 1G lasts me a long time. And it takes months for me to use up 500 minutes. My kid recently got a phone and I got this plan for him too.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Madnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud ofMadnellie has much to be proud of

When I first moved over as a student I went with a Virgin mobile prepaid plan - no credit check needed. I'm in the Niagara region and found no issues with the coverage and you get get add ons for international texting etc.

https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/plans...repaid/monthly
Old Jun 7th 2019, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Allie73
I use Koodo prepay. No contract and I pay $15/month. That includes unlimited texting. Then I buy booster packs for data and minutes. 1G of data is $30. 500 talk minutes is $25. Minutes and data don't expire so they cna carry over for as long as it takes to use them up. I'm not a big data user so 1G lasts me a long time. And it takes months for me to use up 500 minutes. My kid recently got a phone and I got this plan for him too.
Do this. The Koodo prepay has now been updated to include 250MB of data too. It is $15 per month but you reduce that by 10% if you use auto top up.
You buy a booster for data and talk time - these do NOT expire ever (unlike plan minutes).

Wifi is prevalent in Canada - Tim Hortons have it, and university employees and students can access Eduroam wifi across all campuses. On trains etc,

I use wifi through work and barely use my data - I don't stream movies though!

Best plan ever

Note to Koodo users - you won't be switched onto the data plan - you have to change your plan tothis new one. Your boosters will not disappear - they are carried over!!
Old Jun 7th 2019, 10:40 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I live in the US. My daughter is going to be attending the University of Toronto in September. Using her US phone in Canada isn't economically viable - it would cost US$150 a month on top of the US charges. I have a spare unlocked iPhone 6s that she could use while in Canada and am wondering what the best option would be for a mobile phone plan for her while at uni. Thanks in advance.
Koodo Mobile are the best for a non contract pay as you go plan.

https://www.koodomobile.com/ then click on bring your own phone plans under shop.
Old Jun 12th 2019, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses. I'm thinking about having my daughter use her own phone (unlocked iPhone) with a Koodo Prepaid plan. Does anyone know if she can simply swap SIM cards? That is, use the same phone in Canada (with a Koodo SIM card) and the US (with her existing Verizon SIM card).