Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile Crane Operator

Mobile Crane Operator

Old Jan 26th 2014, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Craig6256 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Crane Operator

Hi all, I'm trying to find out some info as to what I would need to work in Canada on the shutdowns, staying in camp accommodation.

I am 37 years old and have been driving/operating mobile cranes for 8 years. I have operated cranes from 10 ton to 350 ton, mainly Terex Demag.I also have my class 1 HGV.

I was born in Canada and moved to the UK when I was 7. I can get a Canadian passport so I do not need a work visa, but I'm not sure what else I would need?

Has anyone worked on these shutdowns that could give me any information about average hours, shift rotation, wages ect...

I would love to move back to Canada but am now married with 3 children, one was born with a CHD. I would need to take my wife to Canada on a holiday so she can see for herself what its like, but will not be able to afford that for a couple of years!

Any information will be greatly received!..

Thanks in advance.

Craig..
Old Jan 26th 2014, 5:20 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Crane Operator

Hi Craig,
Hubby is a mobile crane driver and we moved out here 18m ago.
First things first, your wife and kids will be essentially abandoned when you fly off for shutdowns. With no support structure and no family here it's hard trust me.
Sorry I don't know what CHD is?
Will PM you details about wages.

You have to get class 3 (equiv to Hgv) but class 1 is better, and to operate a mobile crane here you need your level b from ITA and then after about 8 months you get your level A.
Level b means you can essentially drive but need to have an 'instructor' on the end of a phone incase you get stuck (yes, yes I know!) once you have your level a you don't need supervision!

As for a visit here I'd recommend you get the kids watched if you can and come over just the two of you. Www.canadianaffair.co.uk have deals if you can be flexible about dates. Check out details about getting a visa for your wife and kids, rules have changed recently and I don't know anything about it.

Any other questions I'm happy to help.
Old Jan 26th 2014, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Hi TJ, thanks for your reply.

My youngest daughter was born with a Congenital Heart Defect (CHD for short), she is now 2 years old and healthy.

I am looking at flying out to Canada on my own to work on the shutdowns, possibly 2-3 weeks on 1 week off for a few months? not sure how they run them.

If we were to move to Canada it would not be for a few years yet, until we know our daughter will not require any more treatment!

Thankyou for sending me a private message but I am unable to receive them as I have not done 3 posts yet.

How have you found living in Canada compared to the UK financially, where in Canada are you and has your partner been kept busy?
Old Jan 26th 2014, 11:59 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

CHD must have been worrying for you!
FIFO (fly in fly out) shutdowns are notoriously hard to get onto. Maybe look into some of the companies that offer oil sands shutdowns? Mammoet springs to mind.
Also about 3 posts restriction, post here again and you can open it, just a bunch of info about wages etc.
Welcome to britishexpats, it's a fountain of knowledge!!

Last edited by __TJ__; Jan 27th 2014 at 12:00 am. Reason: Blummin spell checker!
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Hi, thanks for the information. I have been given contact details for Mammoet's so will see what happens. Watch this space...
Old Jan 29th 2014, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

Just wondering why you seem to want the shutdowns. Toronto has the most construction going on than anywhere in North America, I'm a steel erector so work with crane operators on a daily basis and many say they are in high demand . Crane operator is I think still on the skilled worker shortlist for jobs in demand. Approx $35 ph I think.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 3:16 am
Just Joined

Hi Markan, the reason for looking into the shutdowns is I've heard I could earn some good money with little outlay due to staying in camp accommodation. I would like to work 2-3 weeks on with a week off, depending on how much I earn I would fly back to my family in the UK on the week off.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

markan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nicemarkan is just really nice

You can earn very good money, but the Toronto winters are bad enough for me. Good Luck
Old Feb 5th 2014, 3:57 am
Just Joined

CraneOperator is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd recommend setting up a linkedin profile as my employer found me through it and I keep getting offers on it every now and then. Great for connecting with the companies, recruiters and other operators