Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all
Arrow Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Hi,

I am going to be spending two weeks in Toronto and two weeks in the UK during the next 3-4 months until our permanent move. In this period my partner will be in the UK and want to know the best way or company to get a mobile from which has cheap texts particulary (but also phone calls) to the UK and to recieve from UK. Indeed even when we are over full time it would be good to have a cheap way to send and recieve texts back home/

Anyone had this problem before and have any suggestions?

Thanks

Julie
Old Jul 6th 2009, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005
Hi,

I am going to be spending two weeks in Toronto and two weeks in the UK during the next 3-4 months until our permanent move. In this period my partner will be in the UK and want to know the best way or company to get a mobile from which has cheap texts particulary (but also phone calls) to the UK and to recieve from UK. Indeed even when we are over full time it would be good to have a cheap way to send and recieve texts back home/

Thanks

Julie
Email
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:13 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Email
What he said. Don't expect any joy from Canadian carriers - and roaming is damn expensive
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to allNibbles2005 is a name known to all
Arrow Re: Mobile company to call/text UK cheaply

This is a very serious question and important to me
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:27 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I also want to know a serious answer. Anyone pleeez?
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:28 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

We use Skype now for pretty much everything at home.

My boss travels to the US constantly and all our communication is now done through Skype - email, teleconferencing, etc etc. using Blackberries, iPhones, Macs and PC's.

Skype seems to have really lifted their game lately - it might be worth a look, J

Oh they also do texting!
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:33 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry - but the fact is that cell phones here are a total rip off. Everybody who comes to Canada from Europe or Asia soon finds out about the backwards and expensive mobile technology you get here.

To answer your original question: if you want to make it cheap - get a crappy phone from koodoo or fido and an international phone card from 7-11.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

And I gave you a serious answer. You are not going to get anything like the cost of texting/calling on a cell phone in Canada that you experience in the UK, and as for using such devices to call the UK, you must be crazy!!

I would suggest a landline with some sort of international package and email as a substitute for texting.

Best of luck
Old Jul 7th 2009, 2:14 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Hi,

Thanks

Julie
Julie,
1.) For emergencies use your UK mobile.

2.) For "general" calls buy an International calling card.
I used to buy mine from Loblaws / Canadian Superstore. Once you've bought one and entered the serial no online you can buy further credit on line. Calls are re around 5c / minute. You dial a local number so can use them at work or from a friend landline etc without them getting the international call cost.
That was useful as during the week phoning home is difficult due to the time differences.

Best of luck.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

Its true my wife worked for fido (one of Canada's biggest providers) and Canada are very backwards in terms of mobile technology, you get charged for making / recieving calls/texts, it can become an expensive game and so your best bet maybe to talk to your UK phone provider and see if they can help, or go online at -

www.fido.ca
www.shaw.ca
www.bell.ca

also rogers wireless, check future shop, canadian superstore.....good luck and all the best but sykpe is probably going to be ur best bet......

MR79
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I call the UK once a week for about ten minutes using a Bell mobile phone. It costs about $400 a month to do this which I suppose is a bit less than $10 a minute. Note that the connection quality is poor, it only works if you don't move, making it something of an immobile phone.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I call the UK once a week for about ten minutes using a Bell mobile phone. It costs about $400 a month to do this which I suppose is a bit less than $10 a minute. Note that the connection quality is poor, it only works if you don't move, making it something of an immobile phone.
'kin hell - assume you aren't paying
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
'kin hell - assume you aren't paying
I do pay it. I used to use the phone a lot, the bill was consistently $2,500 a month, so I got used to large phone bills and now $400 doesn't seem so bad. I use the mobile to fill in a boring bit of driving. I don't know what the same calls would cost from a landline, probably still a bundle. Canada's not good for communications/high tech stuff.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33
I do pay it. I used to use the phone a lot, the bill was consistently $2,500 a month, so I got used to large phone bills and now $400 doesn't seem so bad. I use the mobile to fill in a boring bit of driving. I don't know what the same calls would cost from a landline, probably still a bundle. Canada's not good for communications/high tech stuff.
Still $10/minute is expensive, and $400 a month is quite a chunk of your average persons income. Have you tried using a phone card? yes you have to dial about a million numbers first, but you won't be tearing up dollars and throwing them out of the window.
Old Jul 7th 2009, 6:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Still $10/minute is expensive, and $400 a month is quite a chunk of your average persons income. Have you tried using a phone card? yes you have to dial about a million numbers first, but you won't be tearing up dollars and throwing them out of the window.
Can you use a phone card with a mobile phone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.