Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Mississauga or Toronto

Mississauga or Toronto

Old Jan 15th 2009, 6:23 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mississauga or Toronto

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I work at Jane & Finch. Fortunately not on night shift.
Count yourself lucky. Had I not come to TO on a business trip in June 2000, just before we moved to Canada, we'd have been living there as of August.

Christ!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:15 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Count yourself lucky. Had I not come to TO on a business trip in June 2000, just before we moved to Canada, we'd have been living there as of August.

Christ!
You'd have fitted right in.

serious mode on/ This exemplifies the need for diligent research and a recce before moving across /serious mode off
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:23 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

You'd have fitted right in.

serious mode on/ This exemplifies the need for diligent research and a recce before moving across /serious mode off
The "business trip" was a recce. We'd already accepted a PMQ in Downsview. I went for a look. A few minutes was enough. That's how we ended up in Oakville.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:33 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
The "business trip" was a recce. We'd already accepted a PMQ in Downsview. I went for a look. A few minutes was enough. That's how we ended up in Oakville.
Yes. I wasn't meaning you, but in general for our readership.

PMQ? Military term?
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I wasn't meaning you, but in general for our readership.

PMQ? Military term?
Personnel Married Quarters I think. Military housing.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:39 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Personnel Married Quarters I think. Military housing.
Thank you.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

madhusivan is on a distinguished road

God it's confusing! I think I have to change my preferences now. What are the choices available if I'm ok with suburbs and Indian neighborhood not a criteria? I'm ok with going to the Indian grocery once in 2 weeks and to a decent Indian restaurant once a month, as long as the area is safe and good enough to raise children.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:53 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madhusivan
God it's confusing! I think I have to change my preferences now. What are the choices available if I'm ok with suburbs and Indian neighborhood not a criteria? I'm ok with going to the Indian grocery once in 2 weeks and to a decent Indian restaurant once a month, as long as the area is safe and good enough to raise children.
It's more along the lines of which nearby intersection instead of being able to name a neighbourhood or individual streets.

I'd personally suggest an area inside the boundary of maybe Victoria Park Ave to the east, Dufferin St to the west, Finch Ave to the north and Bloor St/Danforth St to the south as an area where there are fewer problems compared to others (as far as I know). Others may have other suggestions.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:06 pm
Born again atheist

I'm not at all surprised that you find it confusing. What you're looking for (3 beds at ~$1200 in a "good" neighbourhood) is a challenging task, (not an impossible one though). Is it possible for you to come about 10 days before the end of a month and stay in a hotel while checking things out first hand? All rentals come up for occupancy on the first.

Plan B, keep googling and post possibles on here. People will keep you from going too wrong.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

I think we are ok with $1500-1600 including utilities. My husband will be visiting sometime this month to find a place.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:47 pm
BEER Enthusiast

Bleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond reputeBleepedy Bloops has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a rental website that's very popular in the city:

http://www.rentersnews.ca/

Good luck!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

We are planning to move to Canada in March 2009 from US. We already have our PR cards and my husband is going to work from home for a US company. We have a son who is 3 years old. My husband's commute to work is not a problem.

We are not able to decide between Mississuaga and Toronto. Some decent places in Mississuaga cost around 1300-1400$ in rent for a 3 bedroom apartment, but I see that Toronto has 3 bedroom apt. starting from $900 itself.

So could anybody here shed some light on which place is better considering cost of living, safety, raising children, education, etc.

Thanks
I live in southern ontario and have 3 children...and personally wouldn't choose either...nice place to VISIT but wouldn't want to raise my kids there. sorry just my opinion!

Rent is more in TO, as it is a city.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

dewdrop, which neighborhoods would you prefer?
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33, thank you very much for the listings. The first 2 is affordable, will conisder it.
I was in Little India earlier this evening (fetching items not available around here), the building on the south side of Gerrard just east of Coxwell has vacancies and a sign saying to look at www.viewit.ca. That's a good location but I don't know the inside of the building.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Thanks dbd33, will check it out. Also what's your opinion about Mississauga? Especially Eglington Hurantario area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.