Mission BC

Old Sep 21st 2009, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

branston is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mission BC

Hi I wonder if anyone could tell me a little about Mission BC. We are thinking of moving from Alberta in the spring, we really liked chilliwack but it has no early french immersion schools - hence Mission, we feel Abbortsford is a little to big as we are looking for semi rural.
Any info would be great - many thanks
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:03 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mission BC

Drugs and Hells Angels, that's all I hear of the place.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 12:56 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The people I know in Mission are trying to leave. Chilliwack is much nicer. If you want to school in Mission, there are lots of rural communities, Matsqui, Clayburn, North Abbotsford. Mission has some nice rural locations further out, such as Miracle Valley, Silverdale, Whonock, however if you want amenities or shopping Mission does not have it. Not sure what the schools are like. You may want to visit before deciding.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
The people I know in Mission are trying to leave. Chilliwack is much nicer. If you want to school in Mission, there are lots of rural communities, Matsqui, Clayburn, North Abbotsford. Mission has some nice rural locations further out, such as Miracle Valley, Silverdale, Whonock, however if you want amenities or shopping Mission does not have it. Not sure what the schools are like. You may want to visit before deciding.
Many thanks - we are hoping to go this weekend for a look. We really liked chilliwack, shame about the schools. Thanks again we will check out the rural communities.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 3:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Post #13 on this thread is by a current resident of Mission, and I think he is spot on.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=mission

Last edited by JonboyE; Sep 22nd 2009 at 3:20 pm.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Post #13 on this thread is by a current resident of Mission, and I think he is spot on.

Many thanks for that - really appreciate it
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:49 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by branston
Many thanks - we are hoping to go this weekend for a look. We really liked chilliwack, shame about the schools. Thanks again we will check out the rural communities.
There are two French immersion schools in Chilliwack, Strathcona and Sardis Elementary. Strathcona is on the North side of the freeway, on Fairfield Island, nice area, in Chilliwack proper. Sardis is on the south side of the freeway.
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
There are two French immersion schools in Chilliwack, Strathcona and Sardis Elementary. Strathcona is on the North side of the freeway, on Fairfield Island, nice area, in Chilliwack proper. Sardis is on the south side of the freeway.
Many thanks Aviator, chilliwack does indeed have two french immersion schools but these are late french immersion which doesnt start until grade 6 - we need early french immersion as my son is in grade 3, but many thanks for the info
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by branston
Many thanks Aviator, chilliwack does indeed have two french immersion schools but these are late french immersion which doesnt start until grade 6 - we need early french immersion as my son is in grade 3, but many thanks for the info
Watson do from grade 4, that is the earliest in Chilliwack.
http://www.sd33.bc.ca/pages/onramp/31
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks, I have just spoken to them, they introduce french into the curriculum at grade 4 but it isn't french immersion.
French immersion is where the student is taught purely in french, english is introduced in grade 3 and above. The difficulty is that now he would behind in english ( it usually evens itself out by grade 5/6) so we really need to follow through in french immersion - and he really enjoys it.
Many thanks for your help though, I really appreciate it
Old Sep 22nd 2009, 9:30 pm

Enjoy your trip to Chilliwack, probably going be down the the airport partaking of the excellent pie at the cafe this weekend.
Old Sep 23rd 2009, 3:19 am
Forum Regular

lousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to beholdlousid is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Why, thank you very much, old boy. I just re-read my post and I agree with myself wholeheartedly.

As for the OP's question about schooling, my grade 2er is currently enrolled in one of the three full French Immersion elementary schools here. There's Christine Morrison, Ecole Mission Central (which my son attends) and Ecole de Deux Rives, which is only accessible if you are French speakers yourself - it's got exclusivity built in. We opted for the French because it will eventually open up a world of future possibilities and his English won;t be compromised because we are both English speakers (and teachers) and he's a confident reader per se.

I'm in a rush so I'll leave it there, but feel free to PM for more info, should you want to ask any more personal questions.

Cheers all.