Minivans

Old May 10th 2006, 1:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minivans

Originally Posted by jollyrogers
We are considering getting a used minivan when we move to calgary in a couple of weeks.We have looked on Autotrader.ca and have narrowed it down to

1.Dodge Grand Caravan
2.Dodge Caravan
3.Ford Winstar

Any opinions?

Cheers
Dont buy any of them.

How did you reach that list? Price I bet. Cheap for a reason. If a had to buy one on pain of death then it would be the Grand Caravan, but your money is better spent on a Honda thats three or four years older.

Avoid the Windstar at all costs. Had a few in the pool of cars we used to drive 6 hours to Detroit in when I worked in Automotive. Even the old Hyundai Sonata would be gone from the car park before the Windstar was picked. Just horrible to drive and horrible for reliability. Mainly transmission, but other issues too.

Grand Caravan is bigger than the regular Caravan, if you are buying a van, its gotta be for the space, cos its not for the driving experience, also IIRC the Grand Caravan was the first with the fold flat seats, which makes a lot of sense. But there is a reason Hondas and Toyotas hold their values, better built, better to drive, just better all around.

Last edited by iaink; May 10th 2006 at 1:55 pm.
Old May 10th 2006, 2:04 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Honda Odysseys are the best minivan out there right now; I have one and I absolutely love it. You may pay more for it initially but as mentioned it'll hold its resale value and will be more reliable and not as prone to needing repair.

Totally agree.

In my research trips we hired minivans and got the Grand Caravan....initial reaction....great.....but remember most rentals are new/nearly new.

Give most (yes I am generalising) American cars a few years and they start rattling and give all sorts of problems.

I was initially convinced with the Grand Caravan.....felt good and very cheap. After speaking to few people and test riding most of them the Honda Odyssey is in a league of its own (Toyota Sienna was very good too).

However as another post said....as they are good and run a lot longer with fewer problems they are more expensive and hold value.....if you can stretch your budget I would strongly recommend the Honda followed by the Toyota.

Good Luck
Mans
Old May 10th 2006, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

jollyrogers is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the good advice.
I have now broadened the search and looked at the Honda, Mazda MPV and the Kia sedona.
What i have found is that a Dodge grand caravan(2002) is retailing for about $10k. A honda odyssey(2002) is $25k. At these prices you have to REALLY want
a Honda alot.....!!
Sedonas(2002) are going for about $16k.
Budget must be a consideration for purchase. For the price of a honda you could have Two and Half dodges! or buy a dodge and have $15k for repairs anf maintenance.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:31 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jollyrogers
Thanks for all the good advice.
I have now broadened the search and looked at the Honda, Mazda MPV and the Kia sedona.
What i have found is that a Dodge grand caravan(2002) is retailing for about $10k. A honda odyssey(2002) is $25k. At these prices you have to REALLY want
a Honda alot.....!!
Sedonas(2002) are going for about $16k.
Budget must be a consideration for purchase. For the price of a honda you could have Two and Half dodges! or buy a dodge and have $15k for repairs anf maintenance.
But in 5 years your honda will still be worth 15-20k, and you wont have had to pay for many repairs, while the Kia and Dodge will be worth next to nothing, plus you will have sunk a bundle into fixing the Dodge.

So you pay $25k up front and get $20k back, total cost $5k, plus whatever you might have made investing the extra $15k (say 4k) so total of 10k

Or you buy the dodge, lose 10k over 5 years in depreciation, plus whatever repairs it needs (couple of thou for a tranny),

Or you get the Kia and lose a similar amount in depreciation...cant see a Kia keeping its value as it suffers the delights of repeated canadian winters.

Alternatively you dont buy a 2002 Honda, you get an older one. Mileage is less of an issue here as vehicles usually are well serviced ( for $40 or less for a regular service there is no compelling reason to avoid doing it), and a lot of millage is cruise control on the highway anyway.

Drive a few different vehicles, do your research into residuals and reliability...and then get the Honda or Toyota
Old May 10th 2006, 7:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
But in 5 years your honda will still be worth 15-20k
It'll be 9 years old and, if it's still going, ready for the junkyard.

I'd get the Dodge, even if the whole powertrain needed replacing it'd still be cheaper.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:40 pm
Mans

Mans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant futureMans has a brilliant future

[SIZE=1]
Originally Posted by iaink
But in 5 years your honda will still be worth 15-20k, and you wont have had to pay for many repairs, while the Kia and Dodge will be worth next to nothing, plus you will have sunk a bundle into fixing the Dodge.

Drive a few different vehicles, do your research into residuals and reliability...and then get the Honda or Toyota

I'd say thats good sound advice........spend more upfront and save more in the long run

I went through the same dilema when I was looking for a Minivan......buy 2 Dodges for the price of 1 Honda......sounds tempting and a "no brainer" initially but upon doing a more research I opted for the Honda.

Nothing wrong with Dodges but if you do opt for one....i'd stick with a newer model.

Rgds
Mans
Old May 12th 2006, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, with reference to Dodge Caravans I found today that I can't get the spare wheel off our one. It's a good thing that I don't actually need it at the moment but on trying to lower it down from it's storage position under the back of the car I just can't get it to lower. The nut turns but nothing else happens. I think it must be some kind of winch system. Anyone got any ideas of how these things can go wrong and of a way to fix it?