Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Minimum salary - family of 4

Minimum salary - family of 4

Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minimum salary - family of 4

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Can I ask - have you ever stayed home to look after kids of these ages?
Just curious....
Originally Posted by not2old
does it matter?

Would it make any difference...Would it matter...Would it matter...Would it matter...
I think I can safely say that answers the question.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 4:54 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

does it matter?

Would it make any difference if I said yes?

Would it matter if I said my wife stayed home the whole time from our first born till they left home in their 20's? The two children are 8 years age difference.

Would it matter that my wife did not have to work to support the household income?

Would it matter if I told you that either of us could have managed 100% if it had been either of us as a 'stay at home' parent while the other worked?

Now I'm curious Ms Howe

Do you work, do you have to work to support the household budget?

Could your husband be a stay at home parent looking after the children while it is only you that supports the family from your earnings?

wow defensive much.
LOL, yes I work full time as an Accountant. My husband has always worked shifts so he has a good grasp on looking after small children too. I had mat leave and I know full well how hard it can be to stay home with small children, how utterly exhausting it can be.
So yes... I am a professional and yes I can more than support the household budget which may come as a shock to you.
But I am also incredibly fortunate to be well informed due to having experienced both levels of "the heavy work"
Your reply btw comes as absolutely no surprise to me.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Bleecher is an unknown quantity at this point

I would say at least 100k + to make any headway in Vancouver
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:33 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live there or have any knowledge of Vancouver living, but it sounds jolly expensive to me
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
I don't live there or have any knowledge of Vancouver living, but it sounds jolly expensive to me
It is ..

or at least housing (rental or owning) is incredibly expensive.

Gas (petrol) at the moment is about 30c more expensive than anywhere else in Canada ............... not only is there a Transit Tax added in Vancouver, but most of our gas comes from 2 refineries in Washington State both of which are undergoing renovations or updates.

Food is about the same price as elsewhere in Canada ........... some things cheaper some more expensive.

We're retired and have an annual income of around $90,000, but I agree that $100,000 a year is pushing it for a family of 4 wanting to rent a 3 bedroom condo in Metro Vancouver, own and run a car, AND enjoy the lifestyle posited by the OP.

We live in Vancouver, have owned the same house for over 40 years, have no mortgage, run 1 car, pay around $5,000 a year on our city taxes, do not ski or pay for any other activities other than going to the theatre or opera, put money aside to pay for essential repairs to the house, spend about $5,000 a year on medical expenses (including new glasses, dental, physiotherapy, etc), etc ........... and manage to save enough to spend around $10,000 on an annual holiday. No more camping in tents for us

But there are some months when the bank balance gets very low

EDIT:- btw ........... that is gross income, before the feds and provincial take their "share"

Last edited by scilly; Mar 8th 2017 at 7:28 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:47 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
He says above they'll both be working and daycare will be needed.
I understood the OP was asking what salary he should accept for his new position. A question we cannot answer until we know what the role involved is.

A separate question (and almost as difficult to answer) what combined income would they need to live the lifestyle the OP describes, given the need for childcare. Likely somewhere north of $150k.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I understood the OP was asking what salary he should accept for his new position. A question we cannot answer until we know what the role involved is.

A separate question (and almost as difficult to answer) what combined income would they need to live the lifestyle the OP describes, given the need for childcare. Likely somewhere north of $150k.

........... that sounds more like the amount needed, if he wants to live in Vancouver, or North Vancouver

It could be less if he was willing to move out to the Tri-Cities, or up the Valley.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:01 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum $80,000, target $100,000 gross

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Vancouver

That's bollocks.

Plenty of people I know work for far less than that and have an OK life. There are things you want in life, and there are things you need in life.

Driving a new car, weekly skiing and eating out are not things you necessarily need.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. You can live quite frugally in Vancouver if you're strategic. Living walking or cycling distance to your workplace is a phenomenal way to save money. The culture in Vancouver right now is to downsize your daily consumption/commute time/home for a variety of economic, environmental, and practical reasons. The overall trend for UK immigrants moving to Canada is to upsize. Vancouver is a rather expensive city if upsizing is your goal. Upsizing with children? Even more expensive. However, if you do not need the single family home with a large yard, etc, etc. Vancouver's fine. If you intend to embrace the outdoors and all the free activities (hiking) while keeping your accommodation to a condo, you will be fine.

Last edited by Lychee; Mar 8th 2017 at 8:38 pm.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:53 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Agreed. You can live quite frugally in Vancouver if you're strategic. Living walking or cycling distance to your workplace is a phenomenal way to save money. The culture in Vancouver right now is to downsize your daily consumption/commute time/home for a variety of economic, environmental, and practical reasons. The overall trend for UK immigrants moving to Canada is to upsize. Vancouver is a rather expensive city if upsizing is your goal. Upsizing with children? Even more expensive. However, if you do not need the single family home with a large yard, etc, etc. Vancouver's fine. If you intend to embrace the outdoors and all the free activities (hiking) while keeping your accommodation to a condo, you will be fine.
You have hit the nail on the head 100% with that statement.

Brits don't want to move from their 4 bed semi, give up their German company car to slum it in Coquitlam with a 10 year old Dodge Caravan.

However, my Filipino side of the family are perfectly happy renting a 3 bed condo in Burnaby, driving a 1990 Honda Civic and only eating out on Birthday's. Anything is better than living in Metro Manila.

Horses for courses...
Old Mar 8th 2017, 8:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Each.
I agree. Depending on your housing expenses, I'd say at least a combined income of $200k+ and even with that, you won't be doing too much holidaying or joining a private/country club.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 9:10 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The "how much do we need" question really is difficult to answer. The happiest people I know are (Canadian) husband with an immigrant (from a first world country) wife and three children. They have seen two kids through university and are now set for their third. The husband earns around $45,000 pa, the wife does not work. They inherited their home so at least they do not have a mortgage or rent, but they still have to maintain their home from that. They have everything they need. Even manage a holiday now and then.

I have a client who is an engineer and earns between $150,000 and $200,000 a year. He is as miserable as sin as he is always broke.

The "how much do we need" for an immigrant who wants to live in Canada and will do what is necessary to make that happen is a lot less than for an immigrant who wants to leave the UK for an Ex-Pat lifestyle. I got the impression (maybe unfairly) from the OP that they were the latter.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:00 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

Originally Posted by Danny B
That's bollocks.

Plenty of people I know work for far less than that and have an OK life. There are things you want in life, and there are things you need in life.

Driving a new car, weekly skiing and eating out are not things you necessarily need.
Originally Posted by Lychee
Agreed. You can live quite frugally in Vancouver if you're strategic.
Originally Posted by scilly

We're retired and have an annual income of around $90,000 gross before tax, but I agree that $100,000 a year is pushing it for a family of 4 wanting to rent a 3 bedroom condo in Metro Vancouver, own and run a car, AND enjoy the lifestyle posited by the OP.

We live in Vancouver, have owned the same house for over 40 years, have no mortgage, run 1 car, pay around $5,000 a year on our city taxes, spend about $5,000 a year on medical expenses, spend around $10,000 on an annual holiday. No more camping in tents for us

But there are some months when the bank balance gets very low
Good for you scilly

Wait till the OP reads this

bloody hell, that is a lot of income for a retired couple living in Canada, above average I would think?

Retired couple, Mortgage free, $90K gross income, minus the $5000 property tax, minus $5000, medical bills, minus $10,000 holidays - there has to be surplus cash?
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And on International Women's Day as well!

....or the husband could stay home all day and the wife go out and earn the big bucks!
Old Mar 8th 2017, 10:34 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
....or the husband could stay home all day and the wife go out and earn the big bucks!
Or the husband could do sweet FA while the wife held down 2 jobs, looked after the kids and the house. No wonder I'm not married to him anymore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.