Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Millstone of United Canada

Millstone of United Canada

Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Millstone of United Canada

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
If any province were to cecede, given the history of Quebec and its threats to do so, it is likely that that province would be Quebec.
I think the Western Separatists a greater threat, though both are negligible.

A French Canadian may have been Prime Minister of Canada, so what?
It suggests that French Canadians are integrated into the life of Canada, not a nation apart as you suggest. I'd go so far as to say that French Canadians provide what little distinct culture Canada has, without them, Canada's just Greater Ohio.

Most French Canadians would consider themselves allied with France than they would with Belgium.
Do you have any evidence at all for the idea that French Canadians consider themselves to be somehow allied with France? I know it's not true of my children and their contemporaries, can you show that it's true of any francophone Canadians?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daedra
I notice you didn't tell kingfisher that he was in error in thinking you were a stalker though hee hee hee
I didn't bother with it because it was a personal attack irrelevant to the issue.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:05 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

If any province were to cecede, given the history of Quebec and its threats to do so, it is likely that that province would be Quebec. A French Canadian may have been Prime Minister of Canada, so what? Means diddly squat. Most French Canadians would consider themselves allied with France than they would with Belgium.
Most French Canadians couldn't find find France on a map and have little or no interest in trying to.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Most French Canadians couldn't find find France on a map and have little or no interest in trying to.
but could they find Belgium?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Millstone of United Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
I didn't bother with it because it was a personal attack irrelevant to the issue.
No personal attack intended at all, so my apologies if you thought that. Its just that you were looking for me it seems.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:12 pm
Senile Member

Daedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond reputeDaedra has a reputation beyond repute

Well I didn't think he was attacking you DB, thought it was a funny remark if you re-read your post with the insinuated inflections on your opening statement, it did sound like you'd been hunting for Kingfisher... oh pah, once explained it's not as funny anymore CHEERS
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

but could they find Belgium?
Why would they want to? I spent a month there one afternoon.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:16 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I've just up to page one on this thread but had to pass it on to my Canadian husband. Looking forward to his joining in your little discussion. I'm not qualified to but as a Canadian, he is. He's also already a member of BE.

Originally Posted by windward
Leading on from what I just read in the dual citizenship thread...

I didn't realise the Newfies wanted out too (know all about the Quebecois urge to escape.) What is it so many Canadians dislike that much about being together in a Federal Canada?

AFAIK Ontario is the fiscal powerhouse of the country (maybe Alberta close behind or maybe now ahead with commodity prices being the way they are) and I understood that from a provincial point of view Ontarian taxpayers 'subsidise' the other provinces to a certain extent...

Surely then they should be the ones wanting out?!?!

Makes no sense to me... Maybe someone will enlighten me?
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:31 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Daedra
A bit off topic but.. I don't know if this was in jest or not but I'd heard something about south west England (cant recall where exactly) wanting to become its own country independent of England?
Yep. There are rumblings.

John 'Two Jags/Philandering/Wingbag/Paid a Gross Wage to Play Croquet' Prescott also put forward a serious referendum on Yorkshire seceding from the UK (or being given it's own regional assembly, which as that's the level Wales has devolved to amounts to almost the same thing) but the people said no.

I guess the fact much smaller, even less important regions of my own country are thinking the same thing means I shouldn't be surprised by the sabre rattling coming from nation-sized segments of Canada.. but I can't help it... Federalism seems alien enough to me...

Have you heard of Republic of Cascadia? Aboriginal Nation States/Nationalism? Alberta, USA? The Nine Nations of North America?

Canada will stay as is until any changes to Canadian Tire money force people to reconsider.
None of the others but heard of Cascadia yep.. only through the link from Mr. 007's sig, but assumed from the fact they had a 'Department for Sasquatch Affairs' planned, and the general nature of Rich's posts that it wasn't serious!!

.. on a lighter note - have tried to convince numerous compatriots that Canadian Tire money is the national currency over there, but none of my friends are that stupid... One did want to know why there was a Scottish person on the - 5c note I think? - .. she had a valid point.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by windward
John 'Two Jags/Philandering/Wingbag/Paid a Gross Wage to Play Croquet' Prescott also put forward a serious referendum on Yorkshire seceding from the UK (or being given it's own regional assembly, which as that's the level Wales has devolved to amounts to almost the same thing) but the people said no..
Ah, Yorkshire will never have its own assembly. We don't like singing hymns all that much. The Welsh, on the other hand ........
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

NewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really niceNewWorldMan is just really nice

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Why would they want to? I spent a month there one afternoon.

Hehehe ..... not heard that one before.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

I think the Western Separatists a greater threat, though both are negligible.
"Negligible"?

11 years ago Canada came within a fraction of being torn apart. I'd hardly equate the PQ with a bunch of 'what if' merchants from Alberta.

Quebecers were pretty p'd off with the whole Sponsorship scandal and talk of another referendum after the next provincial election was everywhere.

http://www.legermarketing.com/eng/in...sp?prov=QC&l=1

If the recent polls are to be believed, that talk has abated somewhat but who knows what the next soverignty issue could be.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan
"Negligible"?

11 years ago Canada came within a fraction of being torn apart. I'd hardly equate the PQ with a bunch of 'what if' merchants from Alberta.

Quebecers were pretty p'd off with the whole Sponsorship scandal and talk of another referendum after the next provincial election was everywhere.

If the recent polls are to be believed, that talk has abated somewhat but who knows what the next soverignty issue could be.
The sovereignty issue is always sovereignty. There's much noise about it from time to time but it comes to nothing; the mechanics of it and the problem of having to disenfranchise the natives (again) are just too difficult.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, my reasons:-

1) quebeckers are too comfortable now. They haven't the belly for it.

2) PQ might do well just as a p*ss off to the liberals but won't do well when it comes to the referendum question.

3) The english that were frightened away have already gone. We're left with the rest who have already survived 2 referendums, why wouldn't they survive another?

4) Quebec is French enough, Francophones championed business a while back, they are no longer the underclass. What exactly would they be 'fighting for'? A bunch of feckless politicians-would-be royal family of the Sovereign state of Quebec? Yuk!

5) The allophone immigrants making up a large % of the annual intake won't vote for seperation.

Originally Posted by NewWorldMan
"Negligible"?

Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:17 pm
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Post Re: Millstone of United Canada

So whats happening in Canada regarding Sovereignty and the Queen? Are Canadians still eager to dump the Queen and replace her with a President or something? I was hearing about all this a few years ago from the Australians, New Zealanders and the Canadians. Now don't hear about it quite so much.

Are the "kids" finally going there own way and breaking away from the Queen and the UK?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.