Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Middle School or Leaving School Trip at 13

Middle School or Leaving School Trip at 13

Old Feb 19th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Middle School or Leaving School Trip at 13

I am shocked at the exotic and expensive graduation trips middle schoolkids go on here.

Hawaii, Florida etc.

Where did you go? and what do you think of these graduating year trips?
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:30 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Middle School or Leaving School Trip at 13

Originally Posted by englishrose1
I am shocked at the exotic and expensive graduation trips middle schoolkids go on here.

Hawaii, Florida etc.

Where did you go? and what do you think of these graduating year trips?
I suppose its just the way its done here. Graduating from either junior or high school is a big thing which costs! When my two left junior school in the UK it was a disco in the local scout hut and a BBQ. Leaving high school at 16 before going onto college again it was a meal and disco at a hotel. Saying that once high school began then the educational trips were pretty amazing. Their school had links with a school in Japan so my eldest spent some time in Osaka on a cultural exchange (we hosted his Japanese friend too). Educational trips to Rome and Pompeii (Classical History), France, Belgium, Greece etc were not uncommon. So I suppose being in Canada then the obvious places would be the States and a little further afield. Although just for a graduation seems extreme (do you not have a scout hut nearby!?!?!).
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol I think when I left middle school the only trip I got was to bhs to get my new school uniform for senior school!!
I think it's what you make of it and what your kids grow up with as their expectations! I would love to be able to help my girls a bit for a nice graduation from high school but middle school will not be a fancy affair nor with a fancy trip abroad!
But then already at 3 and 4.5 they are really good at not asking for things!
X
Old Feb 19th 2012, 1:59 pm

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Lol I think when I left middle school the only trip I got was to bhs to get my new school uniform for senior school!!
I think it's what you make of it and what your kids grow up with as their expectations! I would love to be able to help my girls a bit for a nice graduation from high school but middle school will not be a fancy affair nor with a fancy trip abroad!
X
Come to think of it I can't honestly remember what we did when I left high school in the UK, we just left and went our separate ways (just shows how long ago it was and how old I am lol!)
Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:33 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
X
hahah just. you. wait.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
hahah just. you. wait.
+1
Old Feb 19th 2012, 4:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My Kid didn't do anything when leaving Elementary school, she attended the school dance just for grade 8's when leaving Middle school - it's not everywhere that does these extreme trips/dances etc. Grade 12 graduation is obviously different where she will get a posh frock and she will attend Safe Grad and Dry Grad (so possibly another frock but only one super posh one probably bought in the sale or off ebay). No mega trips etc, the money will go on further education.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter went to Ottawa for 3 days beginnning of June, at the end of Grade 8 (end of June), there was a formal dance on the evening after the grade 8 graduation ceremony