Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Metric or imperial

Metric or imperial

Old Oct 4th 2005, 5:47 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Metric or imperial

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
M&M Meat Products is a chain that sells supposedly upscale (albeit frozen) meats. I've been into the branch nearest my home, but have never bought anything from them. They have ten locations in Calgary. When you're living in Cochrane, the one that will be most convenient for you probably will be the one at Crowfoot Centre (on Nose Hill Drive, between Crowchild Trail and John Laurie Blvd).
I've had products from M&Ms at low budget events for large numbers of people. I'm surprised to see "upscale" in the same paragraph as M&M as I'd rank their products as being a notch below President's Choice and one above Euality (sp?). If you need suddenly need a vast quantity of chicken fingers for the children of people you don't know well M&Ms is the place to go.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:11 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd
I've had products from M&Ms at low budget events for large numbers of people. I'm surprised to see "upscale" in the same paragraph as M&M as I'd rank their products as being a notch below President's Choice and one above Euality (sp?). If you need suddenly need a vast quantity of chicken fingers for the children of people you don't know well M&Ms is the place to go.
Thanks for the clarification about M&M Meats, dbd.

Posidrive, I forgot to mention another supermarket that would be worth a try. It's Sunterra. You may be familiar with its food courts downtown, in Banker's Hall and the TransCanada PipeLines building. I'm not thinking of the food courts, but rather the supermarkets. They are located at:

1851 Sirocco Drive SW (just off 17th Avenue SW, at the first set of lights west of Sarcee Trail)

and

on Elbow Drive, just north of the intersection with 50th Avenue SW.

Sunterra sells organic, free-range meat. If you're going to find decent sausages, you have a better than average chance of finding them there.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
According to the handy American, schools teach that there were three systems, imperial, metric and north American but the Canadians abandoned the north American system and now it's just called US.
That's interesting, do I take it from that, that Canada used to use american gallons not imperial ones, etc?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:24 pm
dbd
Forum Regular

dbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura aboutdbd has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
That's interesting, do I take it from that, that Canada used to use american gallons not imperial ones, etc?
I don't know. It could be that they were different and that the Americans didn't realize, that'd be another stereotype confirmed.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 6:56 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I notice that the Slow Food Directory lists a business that my dental hygienist told me about but that I have not yet tried myself.
Just out of curiosity, how does one get on to a subject like that during a visit to a dental hygienist?
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Gone in 30 days will become famous soon enoughGone in 30 days will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=Atlantic Xpat]I find it all massively confusing.....

Construction & Furniture etc is in feet and inches. 2 x 4's, 2 x 6's etc.

Does anyone understand why 2x4 or 2x6 are not the stated sizes? In the U.K a 4x2 or a 6x2 are what they say they are not a half inch smaller . This 2x4 timber has been planed down to make it smooth and in the U.K would be called 89x38 millimetres or 3 1/2x 1 1/2 inches. This seems a most strange way of using imperial measurement .
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:07 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Gone in 30 days]
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I find it all massively confusing.....
Construction & Furniture etc is in feet and inches. 2 x 4's, 2 x 6's etc.
Does anyone understand why 2x4 or 2x6 are not the stated sizes? In the U.K a 4x2 or a 6x2 are what they say they are not a half inch smaller . This 2x4 timber has been planed down to make it smooth and in the U.K would be called 89x38 millimetres or 3 1/2x 1 1/2 inches. This seems a most strange way of using imperial measurement .
You've answered your own question.

2x4 etc is a nominal measurement. It's the size before the wood is planed. Not that it looks like it has been planed much. Most of the lumber I buy is still as rough as a bear's arse.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if you would like the taste of boerewors.
Yes, I love it. Spent 15 months in Pretoria as a student many many years ago.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I've just worn out the scroll wheel on my mouse
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've been in Canada since 1963 and to my knowledge Canada has never used U.S. Gallons always imperial.

As for the "North American System" never heard of it. Perhaps it existed in the U.S. but not in Canada to my knowledge.
Old Oct 4th 2005, 10:43 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the clarification about M&M Meats, dbd.

Posidrive, I forgot to mention another supermarket that would be worth a try. It's Sunterra. You may be familiar with its food courts downtown, in Banker's Hall and the TransCanada PipeLines building. I'm not thinking of the food courts, but rather the supermarkets. They are located at:

1851 Sirocco Drive SW (just off 17th Avenue SW, at the first set of lights west of Sarcee Trail)

and

on Elbow Drive, just north of the intersection with 50th Avenue SW.

Sunterra sells organic, free-range meat. If you're going to find decent sausages, you have a better than average chance of finding them there.
Another place worthy of a look is Bon Ton Meat Market in the Stadium Shopping Center just north of the Foothills hospital. I believe it can be extremely busy on Saturday mornings.

For Sausage and Deli meats try Spolumbo's 1308 - 9 Avenue SE.

I've also been told that the Sobey's in Royal Oak (way up in the northwest) sometimes get in black pudding.

Last edited by Hangman; Oct 4th 2005 at 11:01 pm.