Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Meridian, Zoom Or Air Canada

Meridian, Zoom Or Air Canada

Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:02 am
Velouria

Default Re: Meridian, Zoom Or Air Canada

Originally Posted by Posidrive
The East coast flights have the more comfortable seating. I can only assume that they think that Albertan cowboys are usd to being saddle sore
LOL! last time i checked, ottawa was fairly east ! ok not as east as the maritimes.... i know... but only a six hour flight! but like i said, it got us there in one piece in the end. i now look forward to doing all my travelling by car

Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:30 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Posidrive
They do have a larger seat pitch in the premier cabin though, for an extra £50 per person per leg of the journey. This also gets you free drinks plus an extra 10kg of luggage allowance
Very interesting

So it 's cheaper for my mate with a wooden leg named Fred.

All together now..... "so what's the name of his other leg?"
Old Dec 8th 2004, 4:46 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Very poor!

Originally Posted by Crispie
Very interesting

So it 's cheaper for my mate with a wooden leg named Fred.

All together now..... "so what's the name of his other leg?"
Old Dec 8th 2004, 5:34 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Originally Posted by Rhodes
Very poor!
Absolutely!
It was just as bad when Dyke Van Dyke said it a million years ago!
The kids hate my jokes too
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:23 am
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

Originally Posted by Crispie
The kids hate my jokes too
At least we are only embarrassed for you, rather than embarrased to know you.
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:26 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Originally Posted by Rhodes
At least we are only embarrassed for you, rather than embarrased to know you.
They treat it more than just embarrasement. If I press redial on the phone I seem to always get Childline
Old Dec 8th 2004, 10:37 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Iain Mc
[Pedant Mode On]

Canadian Affair are just a booking agency, they use all sorts of airlines. Over the years I've been with Thomas Cook, MyTravel, Air Transat and maybe some others through them.

[Pedant Mode Off]

They are generally the cheapest though. Although for our trip next March, after taxes, Zoom were cheaper.

Cheers, Iain
We are booked to fly with My Travel, using a Airbus A300-200 I believe. Anyone been on this plane before as it states we are getting a 35 inch seat pitch

My mate at work flys to Toronto at least 4 times a year and uses Canadian Affair, he cannot fault them at all and has never had a bad flight yet.

Theres still time I suppose.

Eddie
Old Dec 8th 2004, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

From my experiences;
Air Canada, 1 ok , 1 very bad.
Air transat, OH MY GOD NO!
Zoom , not tried but starting out of manchester noew so will give them a go.
Canadian Affair, using thomas cook, 1 squeezed in coach. like a gloryfied easyjet! but with money saved nicer hire car and hotels! Will pay extra to reserve emergency exit seats next time. premier seats not worth the extra cash me thinks.
I thankyou
Old Dec 9th 2004, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Belgianexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

I flew with Canadian Affair from Vancouver to London on November 20th and the fairly new Thomas Cook Airbus A330-200 was by far the most cramped airplane I have ever experienced. The seats are NARROWER than the seats in a Ryanair 737 and the pitch was much less than 35'' (no leather seats).
Both the Airbus A330/A340 and the Boeing 747 have the narrowest economy seats of any long range airplane, and that's when they are configured with 9 seats accross for the 747 and 8 seats accross for the Airbus.
To make a bad airplane already worse, Thomas Cook chose to fit their Airbus with 9 seats accross (3-3-3)
The Zoom Boeing 767 is configured like a regular airline with 7 seats accross, which offers comparable comfort to an 8 seats accross Airbus or an 9 seats accross 747.
I would choose Zoom for comfort nex time
The larger seats are found on the Boeing 777.
Old Dec 12th 2004, 7:11 am
Just Joined

TONYMCROSS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone on this thread for helping us choose our flight

We are now going via Canadian Affair on Thomas Cook Airbus. We have paid for premium (£89 PLUS yet another tax of £20 on top of the £50 tax we had already paid)to go out there but it was so much more expensive than advertised (they only advertise the price for low season) that we can only afford it one way. On the return flight we are going economy and have booked emergency exit seats for the adults @ £25 each and the kids have got normal seats. We figured it was not worth the money to upgrade on the way back as (hopefully) we shall be asleep

Just out of interest, I got lost on their web site too so phoned them. The guy was really helpful and explained that the emergency seats we have reserved on the way back have an additional 2 foot leg room guaranteed. We could not have booked this via the web site. He also told me that they used to run ZOOM but the airline was so useless that they cancelled the contract with them halfway through the season
Old Dec 13th 2004, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TONYMCROSS

He also told me that they used to run ZOOM but the airline was so useless that they cancelled the contract with them halfway through the season
I wonder if thats just a dig at what must be considerable competition for them. I've had brochures from Canadian Affair since 2001 when they used to use the now defunct Canada 3000 and I've never seen mention of Zoom in their literature. My wife flew with Zoom earlier this year and had an excellent flight with them.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 10:27 am
Once bemused

I think that stepnek might well be right. I have been to Canada nearly every years since 1997, always through Canadian Affair, I think, and they have never to my knowledge had Zoom in their brochures.

Originally Posted by stepnek
I wonder if thats just a dig at what must be considerable competition for them. I've had brochures from Canadian Affair since 2001 when they used to use the now defunct Canada 3000 and I've never seen mention of Zoom in their literature. My wife flew with Zoom earlier this year and had an excellent flight with them.
Old Dec 13th 2004, 1:34 pm
Just Joined

Belgianexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TONYMCROSS

Just out of interest, I got lost on their web site too so phoned them. The guy was really helpful and explained that the emergency seats we have reserved on the way back have an additional 2 foot leg room guaranteed. We could not have booked this via the web site.
I did book an extra legroom seat through the website, so the information given was incorrect.
The extra legroom seats are(seems) even narrower than the other seats given that the tray table is stored in the armrest between the seats.
BTW, I had booked a extra legroom seat on the aisle, and because of the aisle between the seats is not aligned with the aisle between the toilets (behind which the extra legroom seats are located), I had dozen of people
stepping on my legs during the night, and because the aisle is so narrow, people kept on hitting my shoulder while I was trying to sleep

I've got nothing against the Thomas cook staff as they seemed to do the best they could, and despite a late departure from Vancouver, we arrived in Gatwick on time.

The problem is the cabin configuration, which is as bad as the Air Transat Airbus i.e. an extra seat per row in width.

I'm eager to try Zoom next time, or I'll keep on flying BA as usual.