Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Medication costs in Canada

Medication costs in Canada

Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about
Default Medication costs in Canada

No wonder the CHC don't care about existing conditions as long as they are managed. I have just got ONE inhaler which will last me 30 days for my asthma and it cost $85.00 :scared:

The pharmaceutical companies must really be raking it in. I used to work for a medical software company in the UK, so I know from the BNF exactly how much it costs to make and that is about 5 pounds.

I dread to think how much someone who takes 4 or 5 medication a day pays.

If anyone has any elder relatives, parents etc that they are thinking of sponsoring, you need to think about this. Especially if they would effectively be retired over here and not covered by company medical insurance.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medication costs in Canada

Originally Posted by Colsgirl
No wonder the CHC don't care about existing conditions as long as they are managed. I have just got ONE inhaler which will last me 30 days for my asthma and it cost $85.00 :scared:

The pharmaceutical companies must really be raking it in. I used to work for a medical software company in the UK, so I know from the BNF exactly how much it costs to make and that is about 5 pounds.

If anyone has any elder relatives, parents etc that they are thinking of sponsoring, you need to think about this. Especially if they would effectively be retired over here and not covered by company medical insurance.
Terrible, isn't it? My hubbies meds cost about $200 per month.
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:29 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

5 Daily medications.

1 For asthma, 1 for cholesterol control, 3 for heart.

Also one nitroglycerine inhaler replaced anually.

Cost approximately $1100 every three months.

Thank goodness for insurance plans.

Plus 81mg Aspirin and Vitamin C not covered by insurance. Minor cost for these two.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Colsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura aboutColsgirl has a spectacular aura about

Hi Steve,

I don't know for your other meds, but for asthma is there any way of finding out which ones are most commonly prescribed over here. My doctor gave me the same inhaler that I have in the UK even though it is one she wouldn't normally prescribe it. Is there much variation in the prices? or are the pharmaceutical companies making big profits on all drugs?

Can I ask you how much your company insurance picks up? My husband hasn't started working yet, so we have to pay it all ourself

I worked out we'll be spending more on my medication in a month than we do on beer (and for a Yorkshire man that will make him very sad!)

Louise

Originally Posted by Hangman
5 Daily medications.

1 For asthma, 1 for cholesterol control, 3 for heart.

Also one nitroglycerine inhaler replaced anually.

Cost approximately $1100 every three months.

Thank goodness for insurance plans.

Plus 81mg Aspirin and Vitamin C not covered by insurance. Minor cost for these two.

Cheers
Steve
Old Dec 5th 2005, 11:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch. Another BNF reader here - Mr B used to do me private scripts so I could get things at cost rather than pay the standard NHS charge...how mean is that

Do other provinces have a Pharmacare equivalent? ( http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/pharmacare/ ) In Manitoba it seems pretty decent, certainly on our projected income for 2005 (which ain't much!) we wouldn't have to pay more than the first 265 CAD for medication, all costs after that are covered.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Hi Biiiiink,

The drug that the doctor prescribed is not covered by pharmacare. This is one of the reasons why i am wondering if it was a lot more expensive than a more commonly prescribed alternative? It made me think that it was a case of me getting an uncommon brand because I am familiar with it. I don't mind having a different brand if the ingredients are same or similar!

Louise

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Ouch. Another BNF reader here - Mr B used to do me private scripts so I could get things at cost rather than pay the standard NHS charge...how mean is that

Do other provinces have a Pharmacare equivalent? ( http://www.gov.mb.ca/health/pharmacare/ ) In Manitoba it seems pretty decent, certainly on our projected income for 2005 (which ain't much!) we wouldn't have to pay more than the first 265 CAD for medication, all costs after that are covered.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Biiiiink,

The drug that the doctor prescribed is not covered by pharmacare. This is one of the reasons why i am wondering if it was a lot more expensive than a more commonly prescribed alternative? It made me think that it was a case of me getting an uncommon brand because I am familiar with it. I don't mind having a different brand if the ingredients are same or similar!

Louise
Ahh. Does Pharmacare only do generics? What's the drug called here and what were you on in the UK? Mr B has a wadge of Canadian and UK pharmacology books if you want me to look something up (without assuming liability for anything I tell you though ).
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Meant to say, not mean at all. Especially when you see how much things actually cost. I still remember a friend being prescribed soluble aspirin. When I asked her why she didn't just buy it over the counter, she said because the does the doctor had prescribed was stronger. When I pointed out she could dissolved 4 tablets for the same dose instead of the usual two, she felt a bit silly.

Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for offering, I have sent you a message. Do I assume that Mr B is having to retrain over here? How long does that take?

Ahh. Does Pharmacare only do generics? What's the drug called here and what were you on in the UK? Mr B has a wadge of Canadian and UK pharmacology books if you want me to look something up (without assuming liability for anything I tell you though ).
Old Dec 6th 2005, 12:41 am

Hi Steve,

I don't know for your other meds, but for asthma is there any way of finding out which ones are most commonly prescribed over here. My doctor gave me the same inhaler that I have in the UK even though it is one she wouldn't normally prescribe it. Is there much variation in the prices? or are the pharmaceutical companies making big profits on all drugs?

Can I ask you how much your company insurance picks up? My husband hasn't started working yet, so we have to pay it all ourself

I worked out we'll be spending more on my medication in a month than we do on beer (and for a Yorkshire man that will make him very sad!)

Louise
Hi Louise,

Sorry I'm only familiar with the asthma inhaler that I use so can't help with pricing on others that are available.

My Asthma medication is Flovent HFA 250MCG it's supposed to be good for 120 doses. It costs $98.44 and of that $92.27 is eligible for insurance coverage which is 80% so I get $73.83 back from Sun Life.

My insurance covers 80% of eligible amounts. Until recently the eligible amount was the full cost but a short time ago my drug store (Safeway) raised its dispensing fees and the insurance company will only cover the approved dispensing fee in Alberta.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. Mine is only good for 60 doses - not long at all.

80% of costs is good. Hopefully my husband's medical cover will be as good. I will have to have a good read. I assume from what you have said that you pay up front and then claim it back.

Louise

Hi Louise,

Sorry I'm only familiar with the asthma inhaler that I use so can't help with pricing on others that are available.

My Asthma medication is Flovent HFA 250MCG it's supposed to be good for 120 doses. It costs $98.44 and of that $92.27 is eligible for insurance coverage which is 80% so I get $73.83 back from Sun Life.

My insurance covers 80% of eligible amounts. Until recently the eligible amount was the full cost but a short time ago my drug store (Safeway) raised its dispensing fees and the insurance company will only cover the approved dispensing fee in Alberta.

Hope this helps.
Steve
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:50 am

I assume from what you have said that you pay up front and then claim it back.

Louise
Correct.

There is an annual deductible too but it isn't much, about $50 I think obviously applied to the first claim each year.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 3:57 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Correct.

There is an annual deductible too but it isn't much, about $50 I think obviously applied to the first claim each year.
My health care plan pays about 60% of my medication fees for reflux meds, and it's deductible at source, so my invoice shows origional cost, what the healthcare covers, and what I have to pay. also, I pay the first $5 for any prescription. my deductible fees are taken straight out of my wages every 2 weeks, usually about $15 including my dental plan.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:03 am
Just Joined

andy_bee is an unknown quantity at this point

shocking isn't it. When I first arrived and my Asthma wasn't under control my two Ventolin, two Serevent, two Beckatide and Singular tablets came to $650 dollars compared to the £24!

Luckily my employer scheme pays for it (eventually) and even better the clean air of Vancouver has done me the world of good. In stead of 2 Ventolins a month (!) I'm still on the ones from August

We've had some other bad experiences of the Health service as well, so I vow never to slag off the NHS ever again
Old Dec 6th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

$650 a month for asthma - hells bells, that is scary :scared:

I am glad my asthma is well controlled, but then they have had 35 years to sort it out. I got my doctor to double up my inhalers thinking it would work like the UK, but no such luck. I can't remember the last time I used Ventolin. I came over here with 2 and they are still both unopened. I have noticed that I feel better since moving here. OK, there are less cars - but with an average of a 3L engine, that sort of cancels out all the 1.2 and 1.6s in the UK.

Originally Posted by andy_bee
shocking isn't it. When I first arrived and my Asthma wasn't under control my two Ventolin, two Serevent, two Beckatide and Singular tablets came to $650 dollars compared to the £24!

Luckily my employer scheme pays for it (eventually) and even better the clean air of Vancouver has done me the world of good. In stead of 2 Ventolins a month (!) I'm still on the ones from August

We've had some other bad experiences of the Health service as well, so I vow never to slag off the NHS ever again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.