Reload this Page >

Medical Coverage for Infant non-PR

Medical Coverage for Infant non-PR

Old May 25th 2012, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

mikeee will become famous soon enough
Default Medical Coverage for Infant non-PR

Hello,

I have PR status and landed last year but this month I will be making my permanent move to BC (very excited!). I have a young son (2 months old) who does not have PR status and it is my intention to submit a sponsorship application when I arrive into Canada.

My questions are regarding his immunizations/medical coverage.

1)I have read that immunizations are free for babies but as he is not PR would I then have to pay and regardless where do I go to have it done? Do you register at a doctors or is there another process to follow?

2) Also is it possible, or has anyone else out there, managed to get medical coverage for only a baby? My medicare should kick in after three months but his will probably have to wait considerably longer.

3) Do the temporary medical plans(coverage for 3 months after landing) tend to cover trips to the GP and other basic problems or are they adequate for only emergencies? The info on the coverage level seems to quite light so I was hopeful to hear if others have used so plans for GP visits etc.

Thanks for your time and any info you can share.
Old May 25th 2012, 4:13 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical Coverage for Infant non-PR

Originally Posted by mikeee
Hello,

I have PR status and landed last year but this month I will be making my permanent move to BC (very excited!). I have a young son (2 months old) who does not have PR status and it is my intention to submit a sponsorship application when I arrive into Canada.

My questions are regarding his immunizations/medical coverage.

1)I have read that immunizations are free for babies but as he is not PR would I then have to pay and regardless where do I go to have it done? Do you register at a doctors or is there another process to follow?

2) Also is it possible, or has anyone else out there, managed to get medical coverage for only a baby? My medicare should kick in after three months but his will probably have to wait considerably longer.

3) Do the temporary medical plans(coverage for 3 months after landing) tend to cover trips to the GP and other basic problems or are they adequate for only emergencies? The info on the coverage level seems to quite light so I was hopeful to hear if others have used so plans for GP visits etc.

Thanks for your time and any info you can share.
Question 3:

Depends who the provider is. I used Canadasure and broke a rib 2 weeks before my BC Healthcare kicked in. I contacted the insurer and they confirmed for that injury i'd have to pay the GP fee and then file a claim to get it back. They also confirmed that non emergency visits are not covered.

I think the GP quoted $200 per visit or something like that. I waited 2 weeks and treated myself to a visit to the hospital on the first day of coverage
Old May 26th 2012, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Question 3:

Depends who the provider is. I used Canadasure and broke a rib 2 weeks before my BC Healthcare kicked in. I contacted the insurer and they confirmed for that injury i'd have to pay the GP fee and then file a claim to get it back. They also confirmed that non emergency visits are not covered.

I think the GP quoted $200 per visit or something like that. I waited 2 weeks and treated myself to a visit to the hospital on the first day of coverage
I must put up my rates!!!
I have seen people without insurance as a GP, I charge the amount MSP would have paid me, maybe rounded up a few cents.For a normal visit, for a young adult that would be $30.
For a baby up to the age of one, it would be $33 for a routine visit, a baby check would be $73 , but is a longer visit. I wouldn't bill that every time as we can only bill that amount every 180 days.
Vaccinations no idea how much that would cost, the local health units do them, so find one near where you will live- google- then phone and ask.You don't need a GP for that.
FYI any blood tests, X-rays would have to be paid for but directly to them.
Hospital care / ambulances would be expensive.
Old May 26th 2012, 3:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I must put up my rates!!!
I have seen people without insurance as a GP, I charge the amount MSP would have paid me, maybe rounded up a few cents.For a normal visit, for a young adult that would be $30.
For a baby up to the age of one, it would be $33 for a routine visit, a baby check would be $73 , but is a longer visit. I wouldn't bill that every time as we can only bill that amount every 180 days.
Vaccinations no idea how much that would cost, the local health units do them, so find one near where you will live- google- then phone and ask.You don't need a GP for that.
FYI any blood tests, X-rays would have to be paid for but directly to them.
Hospital care / ambulances would be expensive.
Maybe my quote included an X-ray? This was downtown vancouver
Old May 28th 2012, 11:54 am
Just Joined

mikeee will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your comments. I will probably opt for a comprehensive, and no doubt expensive, policy in the interim and see where we go once out in Canada.