Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

me myself and i

me myself and i

Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:38 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future
Default me myself and i

sooo i finally landed in Vancouver on 8.6.13 after a long 2 1/2 year slog waiting for COPR then mad fortnight rush to get here to start a new job.

i flew from manchester to vancouver with air transat, a little snug but hey for what i paid, it did exactly what it said on the tin.

immigration office was quiet and not totally unpleasant. dealt with in about 15mins max

then car hire pick up and off on my road journey down highway 3 to kimberley.

sooo glad i drove, gutted i had no one with me to share the experience...got fed up of hearing myself say wow.

stopped off for the night at osoyoos. fab hotel right on the lakeside, beautiful place and lots of wineries/vineyards on the way there. unfortunately all shut at the time i drove through.

back on the road, got jaw ache from constantly gawping at the scenery.

kootenay pass at 1,775 m elevation defo made my knees wobble a little when i got out of the car to take a piccy but something i'll never forget.

arrived at my pre-booked condo, love it. spacious but homely its just what i need. fully furnished and equipped and very welcoming.

so since arriving ive managed to sort out SIN, driving licence,sign up for medical card, bank account, credit card and finally a car. the car turned out to be more difficult then i envisaged but im sorted now and happy with the deal i got.

i was supposed to start work tomorrow but still waiting for police checks to come through
but the timing has worked well.

still learning and havent had time for everything to sink in yet but i feel pretty content with my lot at the mo and really fortunate to have the opportunity to try this out
Old Jun 17th 2013, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: me myself and i

Sounds like its all panning out great. Welcome to Canada .
Old Jun 17th 2013, 9:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome and glad it is working out so far. I agree tht Hwy 3 is an awesome drive.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:06 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

You made it - well done
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angelic applicant
then car hire pick up and off on my road journey down highway 3 to kimberley.

sooo glad i drove, gutted i had no one with me to share the experience...got fed up of hearing myself say wow.

stopped off for the night at osoyoos. fab hotel right on the lakeside, beautiful place and lots of wineries/vineyards on the way there. unfortunately all shut at the time i drove through.

back on the road, got jaw ache from constantly gawping at the scenery.
Really love this, totally been there Welcome to Canada - Congrats!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 1:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Well done you! May it continue as well. I always found that the bit I "really" hated was that first day in a foreign country at work, you turn up it all feels a bit odd. Good for you, and you just keep right at it
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

emjaca85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Love this! Good for you!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice

Glad to hear it's going well for you - good luck in the new job
Old Jun 18th 2013, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice

Thats a fantastic story. Sounds like you have hit the ground running.

Another thing about Kimberley. (You probably already know). You WILL see bears sooner rather than later within the City Limits. Follow the locals advice re putting the garbage out.

My first ever bear experience was at the gas station in Kimberley on the edge of town as you start going down the hill towards Cranbrook. I came out of the kiosk, only to stumble across a bear munching away at the fruit and veg cart.

I near on crapped myself and the bear scarpered!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:39 am
Forum Regular

angelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant futureangelic applicant has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by castra
Thats a fantastic story. Sounds like you have hit the ground running.

Another thing about Kimberley. (You probably already know). You WILL see bears sooner rather than later within the City Limits. Follow the locals advice re putting the garbage out.

My first ever bear experience was at the gas station in Kimberley on the edge of town as you start going down the hill towards Cranbrook. I came out of the kiosk, only to stumble across a bear munching away at the fruit and veg cart.

I near on crapped myself and the bear scarpered!
haha that response made me lol, yup apparently theres a few knocking about so ill be careful. i did see one on the drive over as i was pulling out of a rest stop where id been taking photos (lol not of the rest stop!) i was gutted as it was further up the road where i was travelling from....face to face in a gas station tho???? not sure id be so keen