Reload this Page >

McCartney / Seal Cull

McCartney / Seal Cull

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Balzac will become famous soon enoughBalzac will become famous soon enough
Default Re: McCartney / Seal Cull

Originally Posted by dbd33
Blimey, this from someone who nominated Magaret Atwood.
What's wrong with Margaret Atwood? She's actually a Canadian I can be proud of.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:53 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

And Pamela Anderson.
RITA MACNEIL. I could be really coarse and extend this thread to whaling, but I shall refrain.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
No similar Canadian freaks??? May I remind you of.....
Lloyd Robertson - orange perma tan and ironed on hair.
Jill Krop Global newsreader whose ears wiggle when she talks.
Gordon Lightfoot
People who eat Kraft Dinner.
What did Gordy do
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Balzac
Ignorance is bliss, hey? Are you saying that Fisheries Canada is not responsible for mismanaging cod stocks? Those poor, innocent Newfies are the victims of foreigners coming to steal our fish? It seems to me that this country is based on the overexploitation of its natural resources.
The decline of North Atlantic fish stocks is a complex issue. Politics both federally and provincially has had a large part to play, as has bad science, good science ignored, short termism (both by fishermen and politicians), greed, foreign and domestic overfishing, lacklustre international management and environmental changes. An excellent piece of work on the subject is 'Lament for an Ocean' by Michael Harris. Be careful it might challenge some of your preconceptions which is always a bit painful. 'Frinstance you believe that the fact that the DFO scientists/officials are from the Maritimes mean they cant be impartial. In actuality most of the science and policy comes from Ottowa, that well know Maritime City and a common point of view amongst Maritimers is that Ottowa sells them out for larger geopolitical gain. (selling grain to the Russians, buying airbuses for Air Canada etc etc). The truth as ever lies somewhere in between.

One thing that I can say is that the fishing industry, including the seal hunt is a vital part of the economy of a very rural province. Even with its decline since the cod moratorium of 92. Taking part of that away because its not politically correct to kill defenseless and cute animals for their fur/meat/oil just doesnt sit well with me.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:54 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Are you serious? Have you ever tried to read one of her novels
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:55 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What did Gordy do
Ah if only you could read my mind....
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:56 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Ocean, it is illegal to skin animals alive. It doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I hate mindless nationalism what every country its coming from. I found the video of a seal choking to death on its blood pretty compelling. I want to pre-empt the idiots who will say the animal welfare people do it for raise more money.
Then I suppose McCartney should stay in England and protest the sexual exploitation of children .... just because it is illegal doesn't mean that it doesn't occur.

BTW, "animal welfare" groups (more interested in their own welfare) do ask for money.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Terance and Philip
Are they from Queer as Folk ?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

That is exactly what I am saying. Glad you understood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_cod

Canada is not the only country fishing in international waters over the Grand Banks

Yeah, they dont look as cute and photogenic without there white coats do they. That was my point to. Why get pictured with the whitecoats, if they are not the ones targeted by the cull?

I wonder what the seal population would be now if there was no officially mandated and regulated seal hunt, and therfore no incentive to maintain the population for commercial exploitation?

Where did you get the idea that NF is wealthy?
I never said Newfoundland was wealthy. Why don't you read "Glad to be here's" quote. The seals were over hunted in the 50's and are only now returning to numbers to be expected there. With climate change the seals are further threatened. The seal hunt is political, a sop to a dying region. Spend my tax money on educating these people.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Are they from Queer as Folk ?

Southpark.

All together now 'Blame Canada............'
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:00 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

I want to pre-empt the idiots who will say the animal welfare people do it for raise more money.
But they are doing it to raise more money, I have no problem with that, they need the money to help with animal welfare in other areas where they can actually make a difference.

They certainly arent going to influence the canadian government to stop the cull, so what other logical reason can there be for helicoptering an A list celeb to the middle of the gulf of St Lawrence to have his picture taken with the wrong seals? Perhaps there is no logical reason.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

She's a pleasant enough woman but, good grief, she churns out some tedious tripe.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Oh, and thinking of tedious tripe, Naomi Klein.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

a sop to a dying region. Spend my tax money on educating these people.
Ah, when we start talking about 'them' or 'these people' we dehumanise ordinary people with lives, loves and dreams. Thats a dangerous thing to do my friend.....

You are coy about your nationality and location. However with your oh so well observed comments on Newfoundland are you Margaret Wente?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Then I suppose McCartney should stay in England and protest the sexual exploitation of children .... just because it is illegal doesn't mean that it doesn't occur.

BTW, "animal welfare" groups (more interested in their own welfare) do ask for money.
That is the kind of mindless argument I was trying to pre-empt. Just because you protest one injustice doesn't mean you dont care about other injustices.

Why do you think people work for animal welfare groups? You surely can't believe its for the big bucks. Maybe everyone isn't cynical. Is that possible?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.