Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Marry in Canada or outside Canada?

Marry in Canada or outside Canada?

Old Jun 13th 2002, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

PatC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marry in Canada or outside Canada?

Please if anyone knows the answer to this question, I would be forever grateful.

My fiancé lives in Morocco and we are trying to decide our best course of action to permit him to live with me in Canada. I am a Canadian Citizen.

We would rather get married before making any applications. Questions:
1. Where is the best place to get married? Morocco or Canada? 2. And afterwards, where is the best place to apply for his PR from?
3. Is it better to get married in Canada while on a visitor visa, or will that make things worse?

I've read so many posts here almost 24/7 for the past week, and my brain is about to explode! I appreciate any help that you can give.

We will do whatever we need to be together, if we need to marry in Morocco, or in Canada, wherever, as long as we can marry and live together afterwards. I must remain in Canada to live, as I have two children who need to continue to have access to their natural father, since that relationship is very solid.

We are afraid to do this the wrong way, in case we get refused on some 'technicality'. Our intentions are honorable and true, we really do love each other so much and need to be together soon, (the phone bills alone could have financed 10 return trips to Canada! lol)

Regards!
Old Jun 13th 2002, 9:20 pm
Webimmigration.

Default Re: Marry in Canada or outside Canada?

Hi:

Ignore the previous posts.

Under the new regulations for Family Class Immigration, applications to sponsor and
applications for Canadian permanent residency will be submitted jointly to CPC in
Mississauga. In your situation, you can sponsor your fiancee as a spouse after you
are married, or prior to marriage as a conjugal partner. The Fiancee category has
been eliminated.

If the applicant is outside of Canada, the Case Processing Centre will complete the
sponsorship assessment and then send the immigrant portion to a visa office that
serves the area where the immigrant applicant lives.

Yours truly, Ingrid Y. Chen, B.A., LL.B.

"PatC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Please if anyone knows the answer to this question, I would be forever grateful.
    >
    > My fiancé lives in Morocco and we are trying to decide our best course of action to
    > permit him to live with me in Canada. I am a Canadian Citizen.
    >
    > We would rather get married before making any applications. Questions:
    > 1. Where is the best place to get married? Morocco or Canada? 2. And afterwards,
    > where is the best place to apply for his PR from?
    > 2. Is it better to get married in Canada while on a visitor visa, or will that
    > make things worse?
    >
    > I've read so many posts here almost 24/7 for the past week, and my brain is about
    > to explode! I appreciate any help that you can give.
    >
    > We will do whatever we need to be together, if we need to marry in Morocco, or in
    > Canada, wherever, as long as we can marry and live together afterwards. I must
    > remain in Canada to live, as I have two children who need to continue to have
    > access to their natural father, since that relationship is very solid.
    >
    > We are afraid to do this the wrong way, in case we get refused on some
    > 'technicality'. Our intentions are honorable and true, we really do love each other
    > so much and need to be together soon, (the phone bills alone could have financed 10
    > return trips to Canada! lol)
    >
    > Regards!
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 14th 2002, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

PatC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marry in Canada or outside Canada?

Thank you for your reply.

Something I now realize that I should have mentioned is that we would be living in Quebec. Are the rules for sponsoring a spouse different from the rest of Canada?

I would like to get married first, then apply if that is the best way to ensure success.

Thank you and regards!