Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Marrowfat peas

Wikiposts

Marrowfat peas

Old Oct 6th 2013, 1:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrowfat peas

Originally Posted by not2old
For the dried marrowfat peas (available at bulk barn) for a non mushy recipe: simply soak the dried peas in a bowl of boiling water over night 8-12 hours, after which you'll find they have hydrated to nice plump peas. Into a pot of boiling water turn the heat down to simmer, add a teaspoon of sugar to keep them green, add mint as an option, cook till done .... test along the way

As to the of how to turn marrowfat peas into mushy ... recipe in the link below.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/tzre...eas-Recipe.htm

When in the cooking process, add a teaspoon of sugar & 1'2 tea spoon of mint. They turn out greener than green.
Thank you so much I shall Definately give this a try with a dried pea....it's funny I just haven't used so many dried pulses and legumes, because i got out of the habit, but I'm certainly going to try them more this winter for soups. It makes me feel very "settlerish" in a way, as had it not been for these dried supplies the earlier settlers would all have starved to death. A little more abstinence however would do me no harm as I am getting gradually more curved in Canada!
Old Oct 6th 2013, 5:48 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

For the dried marrowfat peas (available at bulk barn) for a non mushy recipe: simply soak the dried peas in a bowl of boiling water over night 8-12 hours, after which you'll find they have hydrated to nice plump peas. Into a pot of boiling water turn the heat down to simmer, add a teaspoon of sugar to keep them green, add mint as an option, cook till done .... test along the way

As to the of how to turn marrowfat peas into mushy ... recipe in the link below.

http://britishfood.about.com/od/tzre...eas-Recipe.htm

When in the cooking process, add a teaspoon of sugar & 1'2 tea spoon of mint. They turn out greener than green.
Rubbish. Once dried peas are cooked they are mushy peas. No sugar needed, definitely no mint, that's for wussy southerners, and no bicarb unless you want to speed up the soaking time..
Old Oct 6th 2013, 8:22 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Rubbish. Once dried peas are cooked they are mushy peas. No sugar needed, definitely no mint, that's for wussy southerners, and no bicarb unless you want to speed up the soaking time..
uh!... I agree & what I posted

If you want mushy soak in water & bicarbonate

if you want straight peas (not mushy) soak overnight to hydrate them - do not add bicarbonate
Old Oct 6th 2013, 8:41 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

uh!... I agree & what I posted

If you want mushy soak in water & bicarbonate

if you want straight peas (not mushy) soak overnight to hydrate them - do not add bicarbonate
eh? no bicarb, just no need.

oo for fanced up mushy peas add butter and a tad of vinegar

Last edited by bats; Oct 6th 2013 at 8:51 am.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 8:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

eh? no bicarb, just no need.

for the shriveled up dried morrowfats into nice fat ones (non mushy) soak em overnight in boiling water only, it shortens the cooking time.

As for mushy - never tried that fancy butter & vinegar method - tah!

The added sugar when cooking to mushy is what makes them turn greener than green, just like the ones in the chippy or in the cans over-ome.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 11:42 am
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

YES that sounds like ME! I am most assuredly the fanced up model! Sounds delish...I shall report back!
Old Oct 6th 2013, 12:45 pm
limey party pooper

for the shriveled up dried morrowfats into nice fat ones (non mushy) soak em overnight in boiling water only, it shortens the cooking time.

As for mushy - never tried that fancy butter & vinegar method - tah!

The added sugar when cooking to mushy is what makes them turn greener than green, just like the ones in the chippy or in the cans over-ome.
Thought it was the bicarb that was supposed to keep the colour?
Old Oct 6th 2013, 1:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I knew this thread would end badly.

I'm as guilty as anyone, but are mushy marrowfat peas the most interesting thing this community could debate?
Old Oct 6th 2013, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Just had a can of Bachelor's peas with a lovely little pork loin roast and roasted potatoes and gravy.
Old Oct 6th 2013, 2:25 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

I'm as guilty as anyone, but are mushy marrowfat peas the most interesting thing this community could debate?
Apparently so. We must be burnt out. We flew high, soaring into the stratosphere but the sun melted the wax on our wings and down we fell into a giant vat of mushy peas.

(Rollercoasters may or may not have been involved)
Old Oct 6th 2013, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond reputeTootlepootle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

Could be worse, we could be discussing cheese!
Old Oct 6th 2013, 9:47 pm
BE user by choice

Originally Posted by Tootlepootle
Could be worse, we could be discussing cheese!
I'm up for it...I'm having Danish Blue on crumpets for breakfast...

I have been really bored and grumpy over last few days...it's the arrival of winter I think, it has a sobering effect on all of us.

'We' need somebody to emigrate with a bad attitude and an interesting pet!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:56 am
limey party pooper

I went to the local bulk shop to get the peas today. Astonishingly there has been a rush on them. Swarms of British people buying up their supplies.
Old Oct 7th 2013, 4:58 am
Dichotomus tinker

nope!
Old Oct 7th 2013, 2:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I'm up for it...I'm having Danish Blue on crumpets for breakfast...
Interesting. I might try that...except for a lack of crumpets.

Perhaps on an English Muffin instead?

Is the cheese grilled or does it just sit on top and soften a bit?

I often have Brie on crispbreads with coffee for brekky.