Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

A marmite question

A marmite question

Old Oct 27th 2008, 5:54 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A marmite question

Originally Posted by kastan
I WOULD BRING WHITE AND BREAD SAUCE WITH YOU,IF YOU LIKE THESE WITH YOUR ROAST DINNNERS.AND BRING SUET IF YOU LIKE DUMPLINGS WITH YOUR STEWS,AND MAYBE READY BREAK IF YOU HAVE KIDS.
white sauce? Bread sauce? FGS it takes minutes to make from scratch something much nicer than you could possibly get out of a packet.

You can buy suet here. And instant oat cereal has acres of shelfspace in every supermarket and countless different flavours.

Oh, and please don't shout.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
white sauce? Bread sauce? FGS it takes minutes to make from scratch something much nicer than you could possibly get out of a packet.

You can buy suet here. And instant oat cereal has acres of shelfspace in every supermarket and countless different flavours.

Just out of interest - where is it that you have found suet? I have looked and not found any, but could be looking in all the wrong places.

Totally agree about the white and bread sauces though - packet ones are just NASTY and they only take a couple of minutes to make from scratch.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:35 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LotteW
Just out of interest - where is it that you have found suet? I have looked and not found any, but could be looking in all the wrong places.

Totally agree about the white and bread sauces though - packet ones are just NASTY and they only take a couple of minutes to make from scratch.
OK, it's not always available, but we have found it on several occasions in the freezer aisle in Superstore (Loblaws) in amongst the frozen meats.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

LotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to allLotteW is a name known to all

OK thanks - will have a look.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 9:57 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LotteW
Just out of interest - where is it that you have found suet?
In the frozen meats freezer just next to the chickens, Cornish Game Hens and Turkeys in the Dalhousie Station Safeway. It's in little clear plastic bags looks like about 1lb per bag perhaps less, labelled Chopped Beef Suet.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

kastan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Suet? That'll go down well with Customs/Agriculture Canada.
My mum has just sent me some by post,and had no problems getting through .
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:07 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

<shakes head>
Old Oct 28th 2008, 1:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, Marmite is a good laxative.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oakvillian

The instant oat cereal is not the same here as ready brek,beacause ready brek is a fine porridge oats.My 2 young children only like the fine porridge oats,instead of the standard oats which are available here.So when friends and family come over,they bring ready brek and large jars of marmite with them.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:40 pm
Magnificently Withering

The instant oat cereal is not the same here as ready brek,beacause ready brek is a fine porridge oats.My 2 young children only like the fine porridge oats,instead of the standard oats which are available here.So when friends and family come over,they bring ready brek and large jars of marmite with them.
OK, that's a fair point: Ready Brek is milled (ground) oats, rather than rolled oats. I'm sure I've seen instant ground oatmeal on the cereal shelves, but may be wrong as I've never been actively looking for it. However, the same milling process is used for any of the many varieties of oat-based baby food - try looking in the baby aisle for an equivalent to Ready Brek if your import supply ever runs dry. Or smash up some regular instant oats in a blender before adding the milk.

On edit: another thought - have you tried Bulk Barn if there's one near you?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:30 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Marmite's fine - don't try Bovril (at least, don't declare it) it's made from mad cows you know!

Plenty of oatmeal cereals on the supermarket shelves in my experience - even a Maple Syrup flavoured one (can only have sold to us tourists...)
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:33 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The_Bax
Marmite's fine - don't try Bovril (at least, don't declare it) it's made from mad cows you know!

Plenty of oatmeal cereals on the supermarket shelves in my experience - even a Maple Syrup flavoured one (can only have sold to us tourists...)
Why this constant comparison between Marmite and Bovril? They are two completely different things, made from entirely different raw materials and used in different ways.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:40 pm
Snickle Hubble-Sprinkles

The_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of lightThe_Bax is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Why this constant comparison between Marmite and Bovril? They are two completely different things, made from entirely different raw materials and used in different ways.
No comparison except they are dark, tasty spreads in similar shaped jars...
Old Oct 28th 2008, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
<shakes head>
Do not know why you are shaking your head.Atora shredded suet is all sealed in a packet,,in a small rectangular box.And you can even have this item shipped via a British online foodstore to Canada,if you want to pay there expensive shipping prices.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzlerdaz
There is a huge Canadian "black market" in Marmite.

The Colombians have been dealing in Marmite for years. It is cheaper to produce than cocaine and the profit margins are much higher.
Last year alone they smuggled 815 tons of the stuff (through Bolivia then onto the US then across the US border into Canada)

Just to warn you though, Colombian Marmite can be as much as 100% pure so go easy and spread it very very thinly because if you OD on this stuff it can be lethal

P.S. the DEA have been cracking down on Marmite dealers and if caught with more than 15ml you could spend the rest of your life in Prison !

My advice is "just say no" !

PIC 1 This guy was found with 2kgs
PIC 2 A Marmite plantation
PIC 3 Raw Marmite
PIC 4 A high speed Marmite smuggling boat
This came as a shock to the Customs Officer that I declared my small pot of marmite to on my return home this weekend.

Still it did not stop them locking me in a cell and interviewing me at some length about how much Marmite I had on my person and how much I used.

My solictor advised me to say nothing except that it was for personal use only, thankfully all charges have been now dropped against me but I thought I would post this as a warning to others in the same situation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.