British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   A marmite question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/marmite-question-568547/)

IckleHelen Oct 21st 2008 11:27 pm

A marmite question

Sorry to ask, but the Marmite Wiki doesn't say...

We are landing in 2 days time and I want to know if I can 'officially' put Marmite in my suitcase. Obviously we would be declaring it in goods accompanying list so just wanted to know whether this is permitted?

Thank you :)

Steve_P Oct 21st 2008 11:28 pm

Re: A marmite question

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6897745)

We are landing in 2 days time and I want to know if I can 'officially' put Marmite in my suitcase. Obviously we would be declaring it in goods accompanying list so just wanted to know whether this is permitted?

Can't answer your question, but why would you bother Marmite is readily available here.:confused:

chumley Oct 21st 2008 11:30 pm

before we moved to NS I visited my husband regularly from the Uk to Alberta and he was always more pleased to see the marmite stash i brought him than me:huh:

never had a prob at customs but not sure of any changes as im going back a few years now

you can buy it here though even in wilderness rural ns HUSBAND WOULD NOT HAVE MADE THE MOVE IF THERE WAS NO MARMITE
sorry about caps pc playing up

PaulandNikki Oct 21st 2008 11:35 pm

Shouldn't be a problem. Marmite here is rather expensive so we bought six big jars in our container (and baked beans, salad creme, Daddies sauce etc).

woodmanbg Oct 21st 2008 11:37 pm

Yes I have had visitors bring it over for us, I now have four large jars in the cupboard!

Yes Steve you can buy it over here but it is expensive and I find it is a good thing to ask for when people want to know what we want them to bring over. :)

IckleHelen Oct 21st 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by woodmanbg (Post 6897782)
Yes I have had visitors bring it over for us, I now have four large jars in the cupboard!

Yes Steve you can buy it over here but it is expensive and I find it is a good thing to ask for when people want to know what we want them to bring over. :)

Thanks. I've been asked to bring it over for a friend, because she said it's expensive over there. Ordinarily I'd have just put it in my suitcase, but because we are landing and have to produce these lists, I thought it was worth checking out the official stance on it.

Helen Parnell Oct 22nd 2008 1:54 am

In safeways they sell the small little jars which are expensive. We threaten relatives before they come to make sure they have at least one big jar of marmite for hubby and the chocolate for me, or they are on the return flight home.:eek:

Everything else canadian we can cope with!

Steve_P Oct 22nd 2008 3:06 am

Yes I'm well aware it's expensive. :)

I was being nice, instead of saying who would want the vile stuff. :p:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ARH Oct 22nd 2008 3:42 am

Went back to the UK in February, bought 2 x 600g catering tubs of Marmite from Macro, wrapped 'em up well and stashed in suitcase - no problems! Still haven't finished the first tub :D

Rich_007 Oct 22nd 2008 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 6897751)
Can't answer your question, but why would you bother Marmite is readily available here.:confused:

Because they're British, of course.

Fussy, innit. :thumbdown:

R.

ann m Oct 22nd 2008 4:35 am

I don't know why everyone is fixated with the cost! It's an essential item people.

Seriously though, I'm more bugged by the fact that I've only seen the small-ish jars and we go through them pretty quickly. But it's about $3.78 in Extra Foods and I'm sure it's about £2 in the UK, so :confused:

I brought a couple of the 600g squeezy bottles in my suitcase. Wouldn't declare it necessarily, but haven't been stopped either. Would suggest it's a non-topic for customs (apart from the fact they won't actually know what it is, and it is very hard to describe accurately ;) ).

MB-Realtor Oct 22nd 2008 1:37 pm

NO problems with Customs as Marmite is a Yeast Product, just don't bring in your carry ons.

kirstya Oct 22nd 2008 7:19 pm

hmm so am to add marmite to the list as well as glaxay choc and decent deodrant sprays .....

anything else anyone thinks ???

dazzlerdaz Oct 22nd 2008 7:45 pm

4 Attachment(s)
There is a huge Canadian "black market" in Marmite.

The Colombians have been dealing in Marmite for years. It is cheaper to produce than cocaine and the profit margins are much higher.
Last year alone they smuggled 815 tons of the stuff (through Bolivia then onto the US then across the US border into Canada)

Just to warn you though, Colombian Marmite can be as much as 100% pure so go easy and spread it very very thinly because if you OD on this stuff it can be lethal ;)

P.S. the DEA have been cracking down on Marmite dealers and if caught with more than 15ml you could spend the rest of your life in Prison !

My advice is "just say no" !

PIC 1 This guy was found with 2kgs
PIC 2 A Marmite plantation
PIC 3 Raw Marmite
PIC 4 A high speed Marmite smuggling boat

ali-simon Oct 22nd 2008 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by IckleHelen (Post 6897745)

Yep. Marmite is definitely coming with us and one other thing I would really love to pack for my one way ticket is 'Bisto'. Any issues there do you reckon. Suitcase or packing cases in between the teddy bears????? When we were out on a fact finding mission we concluded Canadians Don't Do Gravy??????